Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, codypet said:

@spenser1058I won't have you here with the neighborhood bashing. :tw_lol: Especially one that contains such masterpieces as Lombardi's and Skycraft. 

Hey, I shop at Lombardi’s! *tries not to shop at any place that would have me for a customer*

I confess I liked Lombardi’s better when it was there by 17-92.

That’s also why my next car will be a Honda because the service place on Fairbanks is nice and convenient compared to wandering out Lee Rd if  I get a VW.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, smileguy said:

And very soon, Bad As's second location!

I did not know that.  Good for them!

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Hey, I shop at Lombardi’s! *tries not to shop at any place that would have me for a customer*

I confess I liked Lombardi’s better when it was there by 17-92.

That’s also why my next car will be a Honda because the service place on Fairbanks is nice and convenient compared to wandering out Lee Rd if  I get a VW.

Hyundai and Ford I would think would be easy as well up there next to Whole Foods.  That said I've had a Honda since 2009.   I've had it serviced 3 times and once was for that airbag recall that everyone got called in for.  So you might not need to even use the service dept.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 12:21 PM, codypet said:

I did not know that.  Good for them!

Hyundai and Ford I would think would be easy as well up there next to Whole Foods.  That said I've had a Honda since 2009.   I've had it serviced 3 times and once was for that airbag recall that everyone got called in for.  So you might not need to even use the service dept.

Well, I had been buying Fords at Don Reid since God was a child but not only does Ford no longer have a use for car buyers these days (except Mustangs and at my age I’d look silly driving one) but also the Reid brothers sold out  and let’s just say Warner Peacock and his wife are well described by his surname. So, Honda it is (I’ve just never been able to get the warm fuzzies about owning a Hyundai for some reason...)

My parents always taught me the dealer was even more important than the car since they’re the ones that get you out of the muck when it all goes wrong. Sadly, great dealers like the Reids and Bob McNamara are all but gone now.

Starling is a good dealership but Kissimmee, really? Plus I’ve never been a Chevy fan (although I owned three because of my dad who thought it was impertinent to move up the GM ladder too soon when one was a young whippersnapper). I wanted a Pontiac, dammit, I wanted EXCITEMENT.

Of course, by the late ‘80’s, GM had pretty much murdered any actual excitement the brand had. But I first became a Pontiac fan when DeLorean was running things and had buzz (of more than one kind, thanks to John, apparently...)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Palm at the Sentinel reports WP’s Breakthrough Theatre is the latest victim of COVID-19:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-breakthrough-theatre-winter-park-closes-20200617-ui4sqqnmqjfpvo4e3ndcyon6im-story.html

Born of The Fringe, I liked some of its more edgy stuff. Here’s hoping the company can reassemble when the pandemic has passed.

On 6/23/2020 at 4:27 PM, spenser1058 said:

Scott J visited Sixty Vines in WP and just going by the pics, I want some of all of it!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/5282-sixty-vines

I visited during soft open in early-mid March. I think they did their grand opening as delivery/carryout only. It was good food and good wine, but nothing special. 

• 1 month later...

Today, let’s stop in center court at the Winter Park Mall, with its oh so tasteful “champagne glass” fountain:

https://images.app.goo.gl/DFzo7oQ7nuwaiXDz9

It was replaced by Winter Park Village after a 34-year run (1964-1998) - only the former Ivey’s remains of the mall on the north end. It was restructured as condos.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, smileguy said:

Could be less boring. Par for the course for Shenkel Shultz.
  https://www.schenkelshultz.com/portfolio/edyth-bush-charitable-foundation-headquarters/ 

EDYTH-BUSH-2-696x414.jpg.e70570074c3e90a4ef05cd5454e52725.jpg

That's not  bad looking, but how well does it blend in with the surrounding architecture?

At least it's not more of that quasi-Mediterranean, clay tile roof crap. 

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the oh-so-funky stretch of W. Fairbanks is going mainstream. A two-story office building is proposed at 1801, targeting medical uses. 

It may not be alone as several similar developments may be coming and @codypet‘s favorite UFO may not be long for this world:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/14/new-office-fairbanks-winter-park.html

From OBJ

Nooooo, TBH Skycraft has had a great run.  If most of their business is online now, I understand it.  I've mentioned here before, developers have walked in the door trying to make offers for the building, so that real estate is worth a lot.  I did take notices of the return of Wendy's to that stretch of road.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 12:38 PM, spenser1058 said:

Well, I had been buying Fords at Don Reid since God was a child but not only does Ford no longer have a use for car buyers these days (except Mustangs and at my age I’d look silly driving one) but also the Reid brothers sold out  and let’s just say Warner Peacock and his wife are well described by his surname. So, Honda it is (I’ve just never been able to get the warm fuzzies about owning a Hyundai for some reason...)

My parents always taught me the dealer was even more important than the car since they’re the ones that get you out of the muck when it all goes wrong. Sadly, great dealers like the Reids and Bob McNamara are all but gone now.

Starling is a good dealership but Kissimmee, really? Plus I’ve never been a Chevy fan (although I owned three because of my dad who thought it was impertinent to move up the GM ladder too soon when one was a young whippersnapper). I wanted a Pontiac, dammit, I wanted EXCITEMENT.

Of course, by the late ‘80’s, GM had pretty much murdered any actual excitement the brand had. But I first became a Pontiac fan when DeLorean was running things and had buzz (of more than one kind, thanks to John, apparently...)

OMG, I forgot about this awesome commercial!   Memories...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...