Jump to content

Winter Park & Maitland


prahaboheme

Recommended Posts

2.2 acre site southeast of Lee Road and US 17-92 intersection up for sale or ground lease.

It’s the latest UP development proposal abandoned (do those folks ever follow through on stuff or is that just something they have a problem with locally?)

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/30/up-development-to-sell-or-lease-winter-park-land.html

From OBJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

2.2 acre site southeast of Lee Road and US 17-92 intersection up for sale or ground lease.

It’s the latest UP development proposal abandoned (do those folks ever follow through on stuff or is that just something they have a problem with locally?)

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/09/30/up-development-to-sell-or-lease-winter-park-land.html

From OBJ

Should have just left that ugly tall building then, and let the Lee Road extension skirt it.   Don't worry, I'm sure Winter Park Volvo will buy it.   Actually now that I think about it, Boston Market just south of there closed and is up for sale.  Could it be they're shoring up all 3 parcels to be sold?  Its basically an overflow lot for Volvo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The proposed Henderson Hotel on Lake Killarney is adding a public park (look at all those TREES!) and underground parking:


https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/11/02/henderson-hotel.html?ana=maz

From OBJ 

"Henderson Hotel developers have increased its green space, and the development now will feature a nearly 1-acre public park. It will be the first LEED-certified, ground-up construction project in Winter Park history. In addition, the project will add more trees to the site and result in a cleanup of Lake Killarney." :) All good things!

"Basic Barrios" is the project architect. :mellow: It would've been nice to see a local project that hasn't been touched by them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

"Henderson Hotel developers have increased its green space, and the development now will feature a nearly 1-acre public park. It will be the first LEED-certified, ground-up construction project in Winter Park history. In addition, the project will add more trees to the site and result in a cleanup of Lake Killarney." :) All good things!

"Basic Barrios" is the project architect. :mellow: It would've been nice to see a local project that hasn't been touched by them.

Sadly, we can run but we can’t hide from the Visor Kings...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s a crazy idea!! If anyone has noticed, Morse ave starts or ends at the Winter Park scenic boat  tour and ends at Lake Killarney. Along the way it divides Central Park, continues on to Martin Luther Park and now potentially end at another park at Lake Killarney. Wouldn’t it be something if there was a París like promenade ( elevated park ) connecting one end to another. Kind of like NYCs high point and Phillys Railpark. The elevated park would add greenery and gardens from one end to the other end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Here’s a crazy idea!! If anyone has noticed, Morse ave starts or ends at the Winter Park scenic boat  tour and ends at Lake Killarney. Along the way it divides Central Park, continues on to Martin Luther Park and now potentially end at another park at Lake Killarney. Wouldn’t it be something if there was a París like promenade ( elevated park ) connecting one end to another. Kind of like NYCs high point and Phillys Railpark. The elevated park would add greenery and gardens from one end to the other end.

I seem to remember some kind of bike plan at one point to help connect down Morse. Clearly not something that ambitious. Art on the Green also moved their exhibition from Central Park to Morse a couple of years ago. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 1 month later...

Casto will become sole owner of WP Village (Chase is out) and plans $20m refurb.

Some office space will be converted to apartments and plans are to emphasize experiential retail:


https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/12/14/winter-park-village-to-undergo-major-upgrade.html?ana=maz

From OBJ
 
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The article in today’s Sentinel bumps the WP Village improvements up to $50 million but says the number is not yet finalized.

BE STILL MY HEART: It says “special care will be taken to preserve the oak tree canopy”. If true, I may finally be in love with a developer...


https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-winter-park-village-makeover-20201215-nvbz2nbyknh7fe2k76wyr4767q-story.html

 
Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Thinking out loud: wouldnt a company like that fit well in the Ponte building?

It seems like it would make sense. I get the impression she’s a little over her head in coordinating all the pieces. She seems to be a good architect but tried to bite off more than she could chew with the development piece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More on the replacement for Winter Park’s Ranch Mall on Orlando Ave. The former ‘50’s era mom and pop motel had been repurposed as a strip center in the ‘80’s and was definitely past its prime. This will be a major improvement for the city’s “Golden Mile”.


https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/12/16/winter-park-retail-vitalounge-buff-city-tenants.html

From OBJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 4 weeks later...

WP wants to buy land along Fairbanks Ave to relieve traffic congestion and expand MLK Park. 

So far, the property owners aren’t interested. City commissioners are considering invoking eminent domain:


Winter Park ‘aggressively’ pursuing buying land along Fairbanks to ease traffic
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-winter-park-eminent-domain-fairbanks-denning-20210114-3f7h76ok4baifpf4qcagk5mytm-story.html

Meanwhile, costs are soaring as the city commission rethinks the Orange Avenue Overlay:

Costs soar as Winter Park re-works plan for Orange Avenue corridor 
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orange-avenue-overlay-update-20210114-vwlskuugobhibifd24o6gywmyy-story.html
 
From The Sentinel 
Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm.  IMO Widening Fairbanks isn't the answer.  Especially since FDOT is putting Orange west of there on a road diet.  There seems to be competing traffic philosophies between FDOT and WP.  The Lee Road extension was an improvement, They should encourage the use of alternative routes TBH.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

Hmm.  IMO Widening Fairbanks isn't the answer.  Especially since FDOT is putting Orange west of there on a road diet.  There seems to be competing traffic philosophies between FDOT and WP.  The Lee Road extension was an improvement, They should encourage the use of alternative routes TBH.

Given the madness of the back and forth of the Orange Avenue Overlay, I guess we shouldn’t be surprised WP can’t all get together on a solution. Debates in “The City of Homes” are as natural as breathing to those folks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

WP wants to buy land along Fairbanks Ave to relieve traffic congestion and expand MLK Park. 

So far, the property owners aren’t interested. City commissioners are considering invoking eminent domain:


Winter Park ‘aggressively’ pursuing buying land along Fairbanks to ease traffic
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-winter-park-eminent-domain-fairbanks-denning-20210114-3f7h76ok4baifpf4qcagk5mytm-story.html

Meanwhile, costs are soaring as the city commission rethinks the Orange Avenue Overlay:

Costs soar as Winter Park re-works plan for Orange Avenue corridor 
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orange-avenue-overlay-update-20210114-vwlskuugobhibifd24o6gywmyy-story.html
 
From The Sentinel 

So they want to acquire property to expand the park but just sold the parcels directly west? That was not well thought out. I know it is a different commission but come on. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.