Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

51 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I always thought it was funny how that road changes names every time it makes one of those big turns- from Fairbanks to Osceola to Brewer to Aloma in less than a dozen football field lengths. I used to know a couple families who lived on Brewer Ave but told everyone they lived on Fairbanks because no one knew where Brewer was.

I also thought it was funny that Bungalower called it Brewery Ave...

I saw that boo-boo of Brendan’s and thought how many Winter Park matrons we probably needed to bring out the smelling salts for.

Like Virginia and Corrine (I forget the name of the middle road), those were all separate roads with stop signs and intersections with 90 degree angles before the highway engineers turned them into speedways. Orlando (and WP) being much smaller and more conservative in those days, they couldn’t make the names consistent because  the residents (who already hated what they were doing), weren’t about to go through the folderol of changing their addresses.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I saw that boo-boo of Brendan’s and thought how many Winter Park matrons we probably needed to bring out the smelling salts for.

Like Virginia and Corrine (I forget the name of the middle road), those were all separate roads with stop signs and intersections with 90 degree angles before the highway engineers turned them into speedways. Orlando (and WP) being much smaller and more conservative in those days, they couldn’t make the names consistent because  the residents (who already hated what they were doing), weren’t about to go through the folderol of changing their addresses.

that's nuthin'...

look at the Daytona example:

Broadway- Volusia Ave.

Seabreeze-Mason

Main St-Fairview-Dunn

Silver Beach-Orange/Magnolia

name changes (and address resets) at the drop of a hat/ curve is a way of life in East VoCo.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

that's nuthin'...

look at the Daytona example:

Broadway- Volusia Ave.

Seabreeze-Mason

Main St-Fairview-Dunn

Silver Beach-Orange/Magnolia

name changes (and address resets) at the drop of a hat/ curve is a way of life in East VoCo.  

Isn’t Volusia ISB all the way across now? I saw that address pop up in DeLand recently and. I was gobsmacked.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

My favorite was always Ocoee's former "W.B. "Bill" McGee Hwy" before changing it back to W. Colonial. 

Like it wasn't enough to just call it William B. McGee Hwy, or W.B. McGee Hwy, or something simple like that.

They had to put the nickname in quotation marks just to make it an even bigger PITA.  

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

My favorite was always Ocoee's former "W.B. "Bill" McGee Hwy" before changing it back to W. Colonial. 

Like it wasn't enough to just call it William B. McGee Hwy, or W.B. McGee Hwy, or something simple like that.

They had to put the nickname in quotation marks just to make it an even bigger PITA.  

Did you know one of the names for Colonial Dr around Mills is MLK, Jr Highway? That road has more names than you can shake a stick at…also, FL 408, aka the Spessard L. Holland East-West Expressway, is actually the Arnold Palmer Expressway between Kirkman Rd and Clarke Rd. It’s exhausting just to think about!

Edited by spenser1058

Fear not, if you were a fan of Mason Jar Provisions next to Burton’s in Thornton Park. 

They’ve found a new spot on W. Fairbanks just down from Park Ave. and the Rollins entrance.

They’re changing the name to “Hen & Hog”, and with space for 50-60 folks will be expanding the menu, offering beer and wine and using real plates and silverware (it is Winter Park, after all).

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/04/mason-jar-owner-finds-new-home-in-winter-park/

From Bungalower 

WP City Commission is scheduled to vote tomorrow on whether to accept the single bid for the redo of the old library or to punt and try again:

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/10/ask-bungalower-whats-being-planned-for-the-old-winter-park-library-building/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

Casa Feliz , a historic home designed by noted local architect James Gamble Rogers (back in the days when Orlando had architects instead of posers like Baker Barrios), is getting a historic marker:

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/31/winter-park-installing-historic-marker-at-casa-feliz/

From Bungalower 

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon Fresh is going into the Trelago Market in Maitland. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/09/19/amazon-fresh-orlando-grocery-store-maitland-florid.html

"Amazon Fresh concept is seen as its low-price alternative to the pricier Whole Foods brand. " "the new-to-market entrant could distinguish itself with its pioneering convenience technology."

They are also looking at multiple other locations in the area.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

Sizes range from 25000 - 45000sf. Some apparently have the GO technology that allow you to skip checking out but apparently not all of them. It will be interesting to see what we get:

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/report-amazon-has-28-more-amazon-fresh-stores-works

From Supermarket News

I'd like to try it once for the novelty of it.

The not stopping at checkouts should really start getting rolled out more often.  I'm looking at you Aldi and Walmart and your insane checkout lines.

Even them moving to a single line multiple checkout scenario would be beneficial.  TJMaxx, Joanne's Best Buy, Freshfield Farms have already figured this out.

Edited by codypet

I've been to a couple here in Chicago...the RFID tech on checkout is super cool and convenient, but that's the only selling point. Selection is limited, prices aren't great.

Also, I got ripped off $20 by way of a coupon that didn't work - I was supposed to scan it at the turnstile on my way out and just "trust" that it worked if I heard a beep (according to the sales associate trying to convince me to leave with no visible proof that the coupon had been deducted from my bill). Unsurprisingly, I discovered later that week when reviewing my bills that it hadn't actually worked. So I've sworn off ever returning (and have been avoiding Whole Foods even more than usual as well, out of spite).

Also, Jeff Bezos doesn't need any more of our money. 

Super excited for other stores to figure out their own RFID instant checkout systems though, haha.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

24 years later, Winter Park Village undergoes ‘total redevelopment’
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-winter-park-village-construction-update-20221122-zwbl55gb4reoxaibx6wedpcase-story.html

Some great construction pics and an update on what’s coming

From The Sentinel 

I'm sure @JFW657 will love the all-white exteriors. :tw_innocent:

• Haha 1