Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Oh Spenser, you silly guy, go back to playing your banjo and picking your teeth.  I know you make $8.50 an hour and have never left Orange County in your entire life.  Duh!  How could you possibly know what is right?

/drippingsarcasm

Spenser & Hank are always down for a good minimum-wage joke.

HAHAHA

Can you at least try to hide your contempt for the less fortunate? 

Do you have any self-awareness at all?? 

Edited by I am Reality

I am confused about maitland. Why wouldn't they build their SunRail station at the city center where it would encourage people to ride to...get off...shop and eat...and enjoy your mini DT area. Why place it 1/2 mile away where people are not going to walk back that 1/2 mile to the city center. maybe I'm missing something, just seems weird our stops aren't at each suburbs DT village instead of lonely apt complexes?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I am confused about maitland. Why wouldn't they build their SunRail station at the city center where it would encourage people to ride to...get off...shop and eat...and enjoy your mini DT area. Why place it 1/2 mile away where people are not going to walk back that 1/2 mile to the city center. maybe I'm missing something, just seems weird our stops aren't at each suburbs DT village instead of lonely apt complexes?

As I understood it, there was a curve in the line that prevented construction of the platform closer to the center.  I agree that it's a missed opportunity. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I actually agree with IAR here.

The Park Ave and Hannibal Square portions of Winter Park?  Hate that they aren't Orlando, but otherwise love them.  The 17/92 / WPV / whatever the Trader Joe's monstrosity is named / Rauvadauge?  It's a nightmare.  Traffic doesn't flow, there isn't enough parking, and yet they keep adding more.  I go out of my way to avoid that area of town unless I'm on my bike.  And biking up Orlando Ave gets worse every year.  You'd hope with the bike shop on it that they'd make it a decent priority but ehhh

I disagree. In fact, I think this stretch of WP has not only dramatically improved in terms of the options but (with admittedly no proof) it is probably safer today for pedestrians than it was 10 years ago.  

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Was this post intended to be ironic?

Yea...I have so much contempt for low-wage  earners.

I want them to earn an actual living wage.

I think they can do better than dead-end tourism jobs.

And I defend them when others make tasteless jokes about them and trivialize them.

That is real contempt.

7 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Was this post intended to be ironic?

This is the first IAR quote someone's quoted that I'm glad to see.  Wow.  That's a level of cluelessness you just don't see in normal life.  Comes on here telling us how rich he is, how fancy his life is, how he's smarter and better than all of us, how we never go places beyond Orlando, how we're just cheerleaders, how crappy Orlando is, how the rest of the planet is better, and how much we all suck.  Then WE'RE the elitist ones who don't love the poor.  I think I've heard about IAR's late night Twitter rants.  Sounds familiar?!?!?!??!!?  Maybe that's fake news or something?

28 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

This is the first IAR quote someone's quoted that I'm glad to see.  Wow.  That's a level of cluelessness you just don't see in normal life.  Comes on here telling us how rich he is, how fancy his life is, how he's smarter and better than all of us, how we never go places beyond Orlando, how we're just cheerleaders, how crappy Orlando is, how the rest of the planet is better, and how much we all suck.  Then WE'RE the elitist ones who don't love the poor.  I think I've heard about IAR's late night Twitter rants.  Sounds familiar?!?!?!??!!?  Maybe that's fake news or something?

I'm still loving the banjo-playing, teeth-picking joke about making $8.50 an hour.

HAHAHA

Not only is it freaking hilarious...it also shows empathy for lower-wage people.

Simply brilliant.

Got any jokes about handicapped people? 

Shameful

What's humorous (and he would know if he had read my posts over the years) is that I come from a Southern family that has been in the South since 1780. Further, my family was definitely working-class for much of that time. Along the way growing up, I've cropped tobacco in South Carolina and picked oranges in West Orange (agricultural work, btw, is exempt from minimum wage.) Nevertheless, he presupposes to know anything about me or my work with the Christian Service Center and other organizations over the years, not to mention my work in politics advocating for the working poor. 

But he's smarter than I am and knows my motivations so he must be right.

• Like 2

Until just after WWII both sides of my family were different, yet oddly entwined, faiths that pretty much define the sort of behavior he claims to know I don't know anything about.  My mom's side are from the Yoder Amish that came over about 1700 (a bit harder to trace splinter of her family came over in the decade after the Mayflower with the Calvinists)  and my dad's side are from the William Penn Quakers that came in the late 1600s.  Although both sides of my families seem to have abandoned the actual faiths after the war, the concept of giving and care for the less fortunate has prevailed and been a defining factor in my life.  In fact, almost my entire childhood volunteer work with those less fortunate was a mandatory part of my growing up in my house.  I think, as most children would, I resented it until I understood what it really meant.

I remember my application to the National Honor Society in high school got me quite a bit of teasing.  The teacher coordinating the program asked if I was applying for sainthood or something.  Saint Henry of the Soup Kitchen was born that day!

The point being, I don't need to recite my giving or my volunteering, but it happened over the course of my entire life and still happens.  I'm involved in a few different charities specifically for cancer research and education.  As most things, I'm just a guy on the internet.  Is that all lies?  Is that all true?  What difference does it make to urban planning?

Don't confuse making fun of someone's insane posts/accusations/whimsical fantasies on an internet forum with a disdain for the poor.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, I am Reality said:

I'm still loving the banjo-playing, teeth-picking joke about making $8.50 an hour.

HAHAHA

Not only is it freaking hilarious...it also shows empathy for lower-wage people.

Simply brilliant.

Got any jokes about handicapped people? 

Shameful

I think you misinterpreted that joke. I think Hank Strong was taking a little jab at your penchant for suggesting that everyone in Orlando are low wage earners. IOW, the target of the joke was not the low wage earners themselves, but your implication that Orlandoans are mostly low wage earners.

Edited by JFW657

56 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I think you misinterpreted that joke. I think Hank Strong was taking a little jab at your penchant for suggesting that everyone in Orlando are low wage earners. IOW, the target of the joke was not the low wage earners themselves, but your implication that Orlandoans are mostly low wage earners.

I understand that.  I am certain people making minimum-wage - many struggling for food or housing or basic living expenses -  wouldn't find it funny at all.   It's great that you, me, Spenser and Hank are doing well.   But there are a disproportionate number of people struggling here.  These are our neighbors.   It's just not funny.   What kind of person even goes there?

It shows a real lack of understanding.   If someone wants to make fun of me...bring it.   But don't use poverty-stricken people to make a point about me.   It's totally inappropriate. 

I don't need or want anyone's background or C.V. or criminal check to prove they are a good person.   If someone has to explain they are a good person, there is a problem.

14 hours ago, JFW657 said:

100% correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2018 at 6:32 PM, orlandouprise said:

it really could've been so much more, closely rivaling the WP station.  It's not in BFE now, though, with that new multistory apartment building adjacent to it and that other complex u/c at Ravinia,  but, I agree...who wants to walk back 1/2 mile to the city center where the lake and Antonio's is?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

it really could've been so much more, closely rivaling the WP station.  It's not in BFE now, though, with that new multistory apartment building adjacent to it and that other complex u/c at Ravinia,  but, I agree...who wants to walk back 1/2 mile to the city center where the lake and Antonio's is?

I'd love to see a trail connecting the station to the existing trail that runs along the Maitland Blvd bridge and will be connected West of I-4 along Sandspur Rd, as well as down to the existing trail that goes down to  Lake Ave - eventually continuing through Ravaudage and to the newly-constructed Denning Dr. trail (which in turn leads to Orlando Urban Trail.   There should also be pedestrian access to the neighborhood immediately west of the station (if there isn't already), which is actually only about two blocks from the JCC complex.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Mmmm, Antonio's!

• Like 1

I'd love to see a trail connecting the station to the existing trail that runs along the Maitland Blvd bridge and will be connected West of I-4 along Sandspur Rd, as well as down to the existing trail that goes down to  Lake Ave - eventually continuing through Ravaudage and to the newly-constructed Denning Dr. trail (which in turn leads to Orlando Urban Trail.   There should also be pedestrian access to the neighborhood immediately west of the station (if there isn't already), which is actually only about two blocks from the JCC complex.

If I Remember correctly there was a proposal for a pedestrian bridge spanning over I 4, connecting west Maitland to the 17-92 Maitland. It was to be incorporated into the existing bicycle trails.

I took Sunrail today and the amount of development activity near the Maitland city center is pretty impressive.  There is some TOD located near the station but nowhere near as much as the central area.  The station would do much better if it was further south, especially with that nice lake/park area and the big complex just south of the lake.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 11:31 AM, I am Reality said:

Ok.

There is no traffic congestion in 17-92 in Winter Park

There is far too much parking.

The houses are too small for their lots.

Builders are not frequently choosing modern home styles.

And the restaurants are jam packed everyday.

Your positions are pretty interesting. 

I should have clarified. 

The traffic is fine to me, not great but not unbearable. 

The house are the appropriate size for the buyers 

The moment the city starts regulating design I am grabbing by gun (figuratively speaking) 

The Trader Joes plaza met parking codes. 

Restaurants cannibalizing each other - competition is good. 

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

To where?

Maitland City Centre property or behind the shopping center next door. That property splits the park / lake where Antonio's is and the MCC. Having a spot there might encourage Maitland to create more events that would draw visitors to the area.  The hope is those visitors would be more encourage to ride SunRail there for the events (like the WP arts festival) than walk 1/2 mile from existing station.  

• Like 1

I agreed with that in 2014 and didn’t buy FDOTs curve reasoning but now, IMO, they development causes has been astounding and I’m not see it all would have happened that close to 414 if not for the station being there.

there really oughta be a local transit option to go to and fro between Morse and 414.   Streetcar, golf carts, whatever.   

• Like 1