Winter Park & Maitland

prahaboheme

25 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Matt was a really good guy, but when he left it became all puff pieces, yesterday's news, and my least favorite item they ever did I WISH THIS PLACE WAS A SUPER BEAUTIFUL FAIRY GARDEN WITH HEARTS AND STARS AND PURPLE LIONS PAINTED IN GLITTER.  I stopped reading, but hoped it would get better with some experience.  A little too 4th grade wish journal and not enough real information.

It must appeal to someone, as it still exists.  I heard they do a radio show, but I'm not sure what that would even be about???  Does it cater to a few bungalow neighborhoods (ignoring 99% of the listening audience?) on the most powerful station in Central Florida?

If only there had been unicorns! *giggles and hums 'My Little Pony' theme*

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The location goes back to 1959 and I think it was a New England Oyster House at one point but is most remembered as the local branch of the Bubble Room, complete with outrageous decorations throughout the building.

Was that a Lee and Rick's location or was that a little further up 17-92?

• Like 1

A plan to expand Rollins' Alford Inn and create a larger facility for the Cornell museum and the Crummer business school is on hold:

https://www.orangeobserver.com/article/rollins-college-halts-the-alfond-inn-expansion-lawrence-center-project

From the WP Observer

If it resumes, it is going to have quite an impact on the SE corner of downtown WP.

Bungalower (Hank- something besides fluff - good job, Brendan!) is reporting progress by Demetree on converting the old Lombardi's Seafood warehouse/store into a mixed-use development. Perhaps most interesting: they're shooting for a second WP SunRail station (the tracks run right behind it.) 

Yes, a stop within walking distance of Krispy Kreme - THAT would be the magic app!

http://bungalower.com/2018/09/03/demetrees-winter-park-gateway-garden-station-project-inches-closer-to-reality/

Update: it's Demetree, a long-time developer in the region. I was once again foiled by spell-check *grrrr*

Edited by spenser1058

You know for a rail line that doesn't seem to be very popular, people sure are clamoring for stations.  Demeter, the Yard, and I'm constantly hearing complaining that Uptown doesn't have a Sunrail stop.   Personally I feel like that's too many stops in such a short distance.  This is what Lymmo is supposed to be taking care of.  Same thing with WP.  Having a midway stop to serve the very few destinations along Orange or Orlando doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

You know for a rail line that doesn't seem to be very popular, people sure are clamoring for stations.  Demeter, the Yard, and I'm constantly hearing complaining that Uptown doesn't have a Sunrail stop.   Personally I feel like that's too many stops in such a short distance.  This is what Lymmo is supposed to be taking care of.  Same thing with WP.  Having a midway stop to serve the very few destinations along Orange or Orlando doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.  

Agreed - these additional stops are excessive for a commuter rail service.  But if there were some sort of urban core corridor  from Winter Park to Orlando Health running every 15 minutes, then this sort of station spacing makes a lot of sense.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uncreativeusername said:

Agreed - these additional stops are excessive for a commuter rail service.  But if there were some sort of urban core corridor  from Winter Park to Orlando Health running every 15 minutes, then this sort of station spacing makes a lot of sense.  

Winter Park to I-Drive via the southern portion of Metrowest and DTO?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, codypet said:

This is why Lymmo should be a rail system. Much More attractive. Do one line North to South - From FHor Winter Park to Orange Ave and Michigan. And Do a Circulator East West route from Citrus Bowl to Fashion Square and Wala.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, JFW657 said:

It's not bad, but personally, I'm more of a fan of this kind of thing...

O5407138_1.jpg?2015-12-02

Or this...

01-park-hill-rendering.jpg

Maybe not so much the mansard roof, but the exterior materials and overall style.

I'm of the opinion that there's too much of that Mediterranean/Mission style, whitewashed, clay tile roof architecture around here already.

JMHO, though. 

Your mileage may vary, as they say. ;)

these turned out amazing IMO

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, prahaboheme said:

The View of Winter Park - luxury townhomes in the California Mission style replacing Christ, Scientist church:

https://www.theviewofwinterpark.com/

any idea how these are coming along? have they broken ground?

The latest on Park Ave's parking woes.

Also, the article notes the metamorphosis along Park from retail to food. If WP is losing its long-held edge on small retail, it doesn't bode well for a downtown Orlando retail renaissance.

Winter Park to use new technology to nab parking scofflaws, free up spaces for others
http://bit.ly/2My5mP8

From the Sentinel

3 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

For a city with such valuable parking, they sure don’t charge much for it.   

To add parking meters at this point, there would be exploding heads from Dinky Dock to the SunRail overpass. I suspect City Hall doesn't want to go there and fight the grumpies.

Many of this folks with serious mansions on lakefront property still pinch pennies. A friend of mine that worked at the Hollieanna Publix used to have amazing tales.

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

To add parking meters at this point, there would be exploding heads from Dinky Dock to the SunRail overpass. I suspect City Hall doesn't want to go there and fight the grumpies.

Many of this folks with serious mansions on lakefront property still pinch pennies. A friend of mine that worked at the Hollieanna Publix used to have amazing tales.

Just the concept of paying for parking does really turn a lot of people off. Its extremely frequent I want to go downtown or somewhere with paid parking, and free parking alternatives are always pushed back upon me without even considering a total cost. People feel nickel and dimed when paying for parking, and meters tend to be especially bad, as they discourage from walking around and supporting retail if they're going over there to eat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bungalower reports Orlando RV is leaving 4.4 acres on property that was once Holler Chevrolet on W. Fairbanks Ave. in WP near downtown.

This would be a splendid opportunity to do some amazing infill. If in fact Roger Holler still owns the property, a major stumbling block may be his tendency to blatantly overprice his holdings.

https://bungalower.com/2018/10/08/eyes-on-the-street-orlando-rv-moving-from-fairbanks-to-casselberry/

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

The latest on the Park Ave. parking conundrum:

Winter Park aims to 'level the playing field' among businesses for scarce parking spaces
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-ne-winter-park-downtown-parking-code-update-20181024-story.html

From the Sentinel

GO VOTE!