Peace - Kane's Second Downtown Project (FKA Smokey Hollow)

orulz

• 2 months later...

Well one ground floor retail location at 51,515 sqft is clearly the grocery store/Publix. If that fell through, I am sure it could be subdivided too. FWIW an acre is 43,560 sqft...

Edit: there is a 2750sqft retail building separate from the main building shown on the bottom right/SE corner of the site. 

Edited by Jones_

So I guess the way the ground slopes, it looks like the grocery will be at the West Street sidewalk elevation.  And then the parking will be underneath accessed from Peace and Harrington.  I count 149 (!) spaces for grocery parking.

Also, other misc developments in this area...

713 N West Street:  renovations in progress for Cardinal Bar

707 N West Street: renovations in progress at group of warehouses for ???

Flythe:  going out of business and property on the market.

Anderson:  property apparently under contract.

Devereuax Meadows Park:  city fleets have been relocated to replacement facility at Raleigh Blvd & Westinghouse... so seemingly nothing left to hold the park back from proceeding than planning & design.

flythe.jpg

I figured the Anderson space would move since the city trucks moved...I don't know for sure, but always assumed they were a supplier for the City somehow, but admittedly I do not know exactly what they sell or provide. Looking at the topography, that site seems like it's needed to correct some hydrology problems along Pigeon House/Devereux Meadows. I'd be all for incorporating that into the park site. This area is really changing much faster than I'd anticipated. 

• 1 month later...

I was worried West and Harrington might get abandoned as a cozy pedestrian area in favor of big city style urbanism. Cars will still reign supreme around here with Capital entrance into downtown and Peace as the connector to CV. I had envisioned Peace with diagonal parking on the south edge and only one travel lane (plenty of turn lanes where needed), and Peace, West and Harrington all given planted medians and bulb outs like was recently done over at Boundary/Brookside/Glascock. I'm still wondering how soon the West apartment sites will have a taker since those will greatly influence how Smokey Hollow connects and interacts with the area south of here. 

• 3 months later...

This is pretty exciting. Honestly I don't see any structures in this area that are worth preserving all. And it's good to see it in the hands of a capable developer. There are a few parcels that Kane/Williams don't own yet, and I wouldn't mind if Kane got his hands on those as well.

I would like to see Tucker Street extended through to Harrington for example, but this can't/won't happen unless Kane gets those last couple parcels along West Street.

Something else that others have mentioned is the possibility of realigning Harrington to the west in order to make the Wake County GSA block big enough to hold a stadium. Doing this without Kane/Williams acquiring the properties along West Street would make their property on Harrington a bit on the narrow side. Not hopelessly narrow, but not ideal.

17 minutes ago, Tenkai said:

Wasn't the state considering selling the property across Peace St from Seaboard Station at some point?

I seem to remember it was bought by the group of developers that were teamed up on the N&O site before that fell through.  I know one of the guys was the developer of the Aloft on Hillsborough.

The council of state put the Peace property sale (and Caswell Square) on hold. McCrory went off on them calling that property super ugly and badly in need of redevelopment. One of the concerns of other members was creating too much traffic on Peace street. As an aside, I am 99% sure that waggle on Harrington is because the street went around a farmhouse that existed prior to the street grid there. It's visible on the Drie map and a large very old oak tree sits right where the waggle starts like a farmhouse shade tree perhaps. But yeah that street would be better straightened out. Also demo of buildings is starting for the interchange with the warehouse of that home furnishings place going down last week. It was the only semi cool building there but likely only 1940s or so and surrounded by so much crap it had to go too. 

Edited by Jones_

On 2/3/2017 at 10:06 PM, Jones_ said:

One of the concerns of other members was creating too much traffic on Peace street.

Ha!  As if this Smokey Hollow development isn't going to do the exact same thing.

If there was a median on Peace at Seaboard Station Dr. (the one that runs between Bad Daddy's and Sunflower's) that prevented folks from taking a left across traffic in to Seaboard and forced them to enter off of Halifax + A connection from N Salisbury over to Vaughn then perhaps traffic wouldn't be too bad.  The close proximity of the N Salisbury / N Wilmington / Halifax / Peace intersection and Seaboard Station Dr / Vaughn / Peace intersections would make this area a nightmare if some development were to go up there.

Edited by Tenkai

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Green_man said:

Came across the aerial view of Smokey Hollow/Publix development...

smokeyhollow.jpg

Very nice. This will do a lot to progress the transformation of that area of Glenwood South. Not to mention what it will do having a full service urban grocery store downtown.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So with the northern-most buildings in this foot print having been demolished last week, can we consider this project underway? Kane's financing is bullet proof so it's just following the demo and construction sequence as dictated by the DOT sequence at this point. Speaking of which, I can't wait from Harrington to punch out to Peace....wonder when that'll materialize....

Quick recap across downtown:

Dillon topped out minus the cap

One Glenwood drilling footings

Smokey Hollow clearing site

4 sets of townhouses framing up (West+Lenoir, Stones, St Mary's and 10Arros)...as an aside the lot just west of 10Arros is being cleared across the block from New Bern to Edenton....that's about an acre..they don't need all of that to stage for 10Arros...has anyone seen a site plan submitted for this spot?

Metropolitan site cleanup mostly done it looks like, so possible rebuilding coming soon-ish

400H, 301 and Charter North all farther off it seems. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 2

Is there a chance they may preserve the old block of buildings that included the shoe store and the cleaners and the upholstery place?  Those buildings predate the construction of Capital Blvd., and it looks like their bones are pretty solid.  Just wondering why DOT has demolished everything else in the area except for those...or is it that they have asbestos or other environmental issue that needs remediating first?