Peace - Kane's Second Downtown Project (FKA Smokey Hollow)

orulz

So since Kane (and Williams Co.) own a good bit of land south of this, and east of this, I bet we rapidly see plans for those sites as well. Kane will need to bolster the Publix shopper base and this area seems like (though I cannot say for sure) it is zoned for the 20 story stuff he likes to build. There is still some Amazon potential for this area, but even without that, I'm betting on this area being fully built out in ten years. 

16 hours ago, Jones_ said:

So since Kane (and Williams Co.) own a good bit of land south of this, and east of this, I bet we rapidly see plans for those sites as well. Kane will need to bolster the Publix shopper base and this area seems like (though I cannot say for sure) it is zoned for the 20 story stuff he likes to build. There is still some Amazon potential for this area, but even without that, I'm betting on this area being fully built out in ten years. 

I thought that the entire area around Smokey Hollow was limited to 12 stories? My understanding was that the 12 stories was the top number of floors before even more city scrutiny. That just like 400H and the Centre City building, which sit in the 20 storey limit area?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They have been sinking piles for the Publix/apartment building for a few days now. I'd consider this building under construction now. 

Also the grade for Peace has been raised a good bit as part of the interchange project...2 foot I'd guess. Might seem inconsequential, but it keep alive my dream of pushing the [future] greenway under Peace one day. It also helps make clear, how this *could have been an at-grade intersection. 

• Like 1

sorry if this is covered in another thread,. but are those three old commercial buildings on Peace Street literally in the middle of the bridge replacement project (had the cleaners, the shoe store, and the upholstery shop) going to be preserved?  They predate Capital Blvd. construction and are about the only trace of the old Smoky Hollow neighborhood, right?  I can't imagine why they wouldn't have demolished them when they tore down Finches if they weren't going to think about some adaptive reuse...(at least I hope).

19 hours ago, JeffC said:

sorry if this is covered in another thread,. but are those three old commercial buildings on Peace Street literally in the middle of the bridge replacement project (had the cleaners, the shoe store, and the upholstery shop) going to be preserved?  They predate Capital Blvd. construction and are about the only trace of the old Smoky Hollow neighborhood, right?  I can't imagine why they wouldn't have demolished them when they tore down Finches if they weren't going to think about some adaptive reuse...(at least I hope).

Those were purchased separately by Kane. I would consider those the last vestige of Smokey Hollow too, along with maybe the Cardinal and the white house across from it (they are on a hill but close enough to the Railroad to possibly be railroad housing). Melrose Mill, Pine State, Google, Raleigh Wine Shop, Rockford...all that stuff is Smokey Hollow vintage and I'd call it part of the extended neighborhood. The original Smokey Hollow houses were late 1800's early 1900's in age, so Rollins/Watkins came like two generations after that original buildout. At the moment, no plans have been announced for them. I am hoping at least Rollins gets reused...it's a sweet 1940's warehouse with a clerestory down the center. Great beer hall or something like that. 

3 hours ago, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:

Sad that they reduced this project from 12 to 11 floors. It makes a visual difference in downtown...

The article says that, but I've been carrying 11 stories on my map since I first heard about it.....I don't recall it ever being said to be 12. I think the N&O just effed up and some point. 

• 1 month later...

Noticed some concrete foundation walls have been poured.  Also, strangely, they have put up the traffic signal that will control traffic turning right onto Peace from the other direction (for after they close the southbound Capital off ramp to Peace permanently), but that new street segment looks nowhere close to being finished.  Usually they put up the traffic signal right before the road opens, I thought...

1 hour ago, JeffC said:

Noticed some concrete foundation walls have been poured.  Also, strangely, they have put up the traffic signal that will control traffic turning right onto Peace from the other direction (for after they close the southbound Capital off ramp to Peace permanently), but that new street segment looks nowhere close to being finished.  Usually they put up the traffic signal right before the road opens, I thought...

I hope it's just a temp signal for some stretch of the unfinished project because it's just swinging on wires. I figured the final signal would be on a fancy boom, befitting the fanciness of whole new gettup. 

• 3 weeks later...