Peace - Kane's Second Downtown Project (FKA Smokey Hollow)

orulz

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2018 at 7:56 PM, nicholas said:

DSC_4204.jpg

Random, but it'd be nice if something interesting could happen to that odd triangular island of grass at West and Peace now.  If anything, bury that cluster-f of powerlines and poles.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Tidbit of information from a subscriber article n Triangle Biz Journal today 

""Kane Realty Corp. paid more than $4.5 million for less than 0.8 acres along North West Street, a block south of the construction currently underway on the 11-story Publix-anchored mixed-use project that represents the first phase of the larger build out, formerly known as Smokey Hollow.  The most significant portion of the purchase was a parking lot that, at just two-thirds of an acre, sold for $3.6 million.""

Sounds like something big could soon be announced

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/09/10/developers-assemble-final-pieces-for-downtown.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=newsletter&ed=2018-09-10&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1536583341&j=83733861

• Like 2

This is good news in so many ways.

We've talked on Urban Planet about the potential that this area has for years, and to see Kane finally stepping up and taking it on is basically a huge relief. He is the best developer we have here in town to take on a project like this. With his tremendous success at North Hills, the track record of good execution (by Raleigh standards anyway) at The Dillon, and his overall ability to just make projects actually happen (Rather than sit around in limbo forever) and the inclusion of a major grocery store in phase one, I have high hopes.

Now I'm waiting to see whether Kane's project will extend Tucker Street. In addition, given that West at North is zoned DX-20, they have a strong argument for upzoning to 20 stories here too in terms of compatibility. Let's hope!

It's too bad Kane didn't get involved a little earlier in this area. While Quorum and West are solid, "Link" and "Metropolitan" are rather disappointing.

• Like 3

Is this parcel the tan and glass block building that faces West St? That was the one piece didn't own if so, which means he would control everything except the Wake County Services Center between Lane, Peace, West and Capital (except the West condos which are already newly developed of course). As it stands now, he is in a position to pull something of a master plan. The 'eh' level for Link and Metropolitan, if anything, up the possibility of going higher and denser on Kane's parcels I'd think. I also wouldn't rule out either of those being torn down and replaces with bigger more durable buildings before the end of their useful life, if downtown's market heats up and builds out fast enough. Back to the Wake County Service Center..if Kane got a hold of that, punching Tucker through to Capital even becomes a possibility with a limited exit for southbound traffic say...or hell, punch it under Capital to a future soccer complex...

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Green_man said:

Rough outlines for the plots owned by the development group.  Took the liberty of showing Phase 2 as split by an extended Tucker St because I hope that is the case.

smokeyhollow - phases 2 and 3.jpg

I suspect the new developments in Phase 2 and 3 will be at least as tall or taller than Smokey Hollow and West.

Given the cost relative to the size of those parcels, Kane must be planning to go vertical.

4 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I suspect the new developments in Phase 2 and 3 will be at least as tall or taller than Smokey Hollow and West.

Given the cost relative to the size of those parcels, Kane must be planning to go vertical.

I think Phase 2 looks like a good chance for vertical (20-story). Phase 3 looks like a great spot for mixed use with an option for a hotel, which would be great here. 

• 3 weeks later...

I purposely took south Capital Blvd today so I could try the new exit. It's nice. And strange feeling after 20 some years of using the old one. IT might back up the right most southbound capital blvd lane in rush hour if they don't add a turn lane, but I like it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This article from the N&O talks about the plans for the 2nd phase of Peace more office and some residential but also the plans for the property south of Union Station where Kane is seeking rezoning of up to 20 story building along the tracks.  https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article219439980.html

The massing looks good to me. The neighborhood really can't ask for better. Also, the West St underpass (under the tracks) will be a key to this project being actually connected to the warehouse district proper. 

I suppose his project phasing will be Smokey Hollow phases 2 then 3 then the Clancy tract? Maybe the second two at once of no other developer is competing with him when he gets done with SH2...

• Like 1

In the Triangle Business Journal article the plans for the 2nd phase of Smokey Hollow are presented.  From the subscriber article   The rendering looks like nice.  About 225,000 sq ft of office space.  This will make a great gateway to downtown from the northside.

""Construction is currently underway at the site, including a new road that has been cleared south of the development. The project is expected to open in the summer of 2020, but that hasn’t stopped developer Kane Realty Corp. and its partner, Williams Realty & Building Co., from charging ahead with the next phase, called Smokey Hollow, after the historic name of the area.Kane Realty President Mike Smith says the plan is to build an office building “in the 10-story range,” in addition to 280 residential units and as much as 50,000 square feet of ground-floor restaurant and retail space, all of it surrounding a courtyard. The firm is currently preparing to submit a site plan to the city, with plans to begin construction in the summer of 2019. That would be about 12 months prior to the completion of phase one, Smith says, meaning both projects would be underway at the same time for about a year.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/10/08/kane-realty-reveals-details-of-next-phase-in-peace.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-10-08&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1539036199&j=84279591   

This is the area behind Peace between it and the West condo tower.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In the Triangle Business Journal article the plans for the 2nd phase of Smokey Hollow are presented.  From the subscriber article   The rendering looks like nice.  About 225,000 sq ft of office space.  This will make a great gateway to downtown from the northside.

""Construction is currently underway at the site, including a new road that has been cleared south of the development. The project is expected to open in the summer of 2020, but that hasn’t stopped developer Kane Realty Corp. and its partner, Williams Realty & Building Co., from charging ahead with the next phase, called Smokey Hollow, after the historic name of the area.Kane Realty President Mike Smith says the plan is to build an office building “in the 10-story range,” in addition to 280 residential units and as much as 50,000 square feet of ground-floor restaurant and retail space, all of it surrounding a courtyard. The firm is currently preparing to submit a site plan to the city, with plans to begin construction in the summer of 2019. That would be about 12 months prior to the completion of phase one, Smith says, meaning both projects would be underway at the same time for about a year.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/10/08/kane-realty-reveals-details-of-next-phase-in-peace.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-10-08&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1539036199&j=84279591   

This is the area behind Peace between it and the West condo tower.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj5kMf09PfdAhXRFjQIHZUDDLYQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bizjournals.com%2Ftriangle%2Fnews%2F2018%2F10%2F08%2Fkane-realty-reveals-details-of-next-phase-in-peace.html&psig=AOvVaw2-Bt4WnEAzT2ZjeScUIc6M&ust=1539124819068503

smokeyhollow-rendering-01*1200xx3000-168

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 2:24 PM, Jones_ said:

Those were purchased separately by Kane. I would consider those the last vestige of Smokey Hollow too, along with maybe the Cardinal and the white house across from it (they are on a hill but close enough to the Railroad to possibly be railroad housing). Melrose Mill, Pine State, Google, Raleigh Wine Shop, Rockford...all that stuff is Smokey Hollow vintage and I'd call it part of the extended neighborhood. The original Smokey Hollow houses were late 1800's early 1900's in age, so Rollins/Watkins came like two generations after that original buildout. At the moment, no plans have been announced for them. I am hoping at least Rollins gets reused...it's a sweet 1940's warehouse with a clerestory down the center. Great beer hall or something like that. 

FYI, in the three old buildings right by the new bridge, the windows have been removed from the Rollins building and a construction fence is going up around them (which indicates renovation rather than demolition, doesn't it?  Hopefully?)    Have plans been announced for this strip?  These have the potential to be the most attractive retail streetscape on the stretch of Peace between Glenwood and Salisbury/Halifax (granted, that isn't exactly a picturesque stretch...

Edited by JeffC

2 hours ago, JeffC said:

FYI, in the three old buildings right by the new bridge, the windows have been removed from the Rollins building and a construction fence is going up around them (which indicates renovation rather than demolition, doesn't it?  Hopefully?)    Have plans been announced for this strip?  These have the potential to be the most attractive retail streetscape on the stretch of Peace between Glenwood and Salisbury/Halifax (granted, that isn't exactly a picturesque stretch...

I wish I could say for sure. I did see silt fence going up but not demo fence. I had assumed they were all goners.