Peace - Kane's Second Downtown Project (FKA Smokey Hollow)

orulz

On 10/25/2018 at 6:03 PM, Jones_ said:

I wish I could say for sure. I did see silt fence going up but not demo fence. I had assumed they were all goners. 

but if you were going to tear them down, why go to trouble of carefully removing all the windows from the structure?  Is there some strange demolition rule about plate glass?

• 2 weeks later...

Update time :thumbsup: looks like they've added a full level since my last pics.  It might not come across as well in photographs but this is enormous in person, kinda surprised it's this tall already.

DSC_4495.jpg.100e2daf362e01816e0ab8c9f6ae5736.jpg

DSC_4496.jpg.1775ad74bd780939e12f5ae3a9564f81.jpg

DSC_4497.jpg.7dadcdeffac78142d61bc16b8e4f9edd.jpg

Also I like what they did with the new bridge right around the corner.

DSC_4501.jpg.b9ec82a6744491a96f91ca0aa75ed3e1.jpg

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, DPK said:

I know it won't happen, but there's a part of me that really really hopes that cute little retail strip remains standing.

Same (of course....what would this site be without me screaming about preserving old things all the time), but it looks like Rollins already has its windows out and interior being removed (it has old equipment and stuff that can be scrapped)

• Like 1

Whelp, Rollins &co are coming down today. I got one last pic. Too bad the culture here isn't one that prioritizes adaptive reuse (we get/got some before downtown got too popular). I get density and mixed use as positive development patterns, but the interior of Rollins was pretty cool. Same vintage as NC Equipment Co. 

As an aside, I've never been quite sure whether to categorize Rollins as the last of original Smokey Hollow, or the beginning of the first redo of Smokey Hollow. It's right on the border, timeline wise, of the transition from original houses (1900-1910 or so) to the light commercial revamping of the area in the 1950s-1970's. It's late 30's early 40's with it's structural brick and style of fixtures inside. I'm going with last of original Smokey Hollow since the residents could have utilized the Cleaners if anyone of them had a need. Plus it predated the Capital/Peace interchange, which was more or less the beginning of the end for the neighborhood. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 4:28 PM, JeffC said:

This sort of hulks over the extension of Harrington Street.  Unless they do some nice things at street level here and where they leveled the old commercial strip, it will pretty much destroy any pedestrian character to this stretch of Peace.

I was sort of hinting at this over on Raleigh Connoisseur by saying that big box store formats and downtowns don't really work that well together. I acknowledge the benefits of the grocery store and the mixed use building, but accommodating the big box store format has consequences that are hard to mitigate. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I wonder how visible this tower would be from the money shot and from I-40. It would make more sense to build such a tall development on Kane's newly secured land in the Warehouse district.

Given the proximity of the Boylan Heights site to single-family homes in the neighborhood, I don't think 40 stories is realistic there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

I uh, don't think where a tower shows up in a picture is a good reason for deciding where to put it...

Historically taller towers were built in areas that maximize their visibility (i.e. visible from interstates) as well as in areas where land costs where very high (i.e. CBD of major cities). I'm not saying that it's a ridiculous idea, i'm just saying that there are better options in downtown Raleigh for 40+ story towers. 

• Like 1

I know it feels a little weird to put it near the lowest spot in downtown and also adjacent to our squashed bug of an interchange (since we don't have a spaghetti junction or mixing bowl I'll go with squashed bug), but I think since the new road configuration will more or less support it now, and the gateway concept is one of visibility, then its a pretty decent spot. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

IF this is the site just across the extension of Johnson Street, they have cleared the land.  Things slope upward from Peace Street, so it will start off about a story higher than Phase 1.  Given the drab  one story 1960s institutional stuff that was there before, it certainly is an upgrade even if it eventually ends up shorter than 40 stories.  I think something that high will never be built, because I don't see how the financials work on that given how many vacant parcels there are downtown. (i.e. unlike Manhattan, for example, land is cheap and plentiful in downtown Raleigh)