Peace - Kane's Second Downtown Project (FKA Smokey Hollow)

orulz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From a subscriber story in the Biz Journal today about the 40 story tower.

""Despite concerns about the impacts of affordable housing, Gaylord is looking forward to the project’s next steps.  “We’re very excited about it,” he says. “Our viewpoint is to be sustainable… our city needs to grow up, not out.”  Gaylord says he hopes to see work on the third phase begin in the next two to three years.""

amen on Raleigh growing UPward. 

""“It introduces a whole new level of financing risk that we’re honestly not sure how we’ll navigate,” says Bonner Gaylord, managing director of operations for Kane. “It could put the project in jeopardy, but we’re willing to take that risk to make the council and the community (comfortable) with the project.”""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/09/04/affordable-housing-push-could-jeopardize-plans-for.html

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

From a subscriber story in the Biz Journal today about the 40 story tower.

""Despite concerns about the impacts of affordable housing, Gaylord is looking forward to the project’s next steps.  “We’re very excited about it,” he says. “Our viewpoint is to be sustainable… our city needs to grow up, not out.”  Gaylord says he hopes to see work on the third phase begin in the next two to three years.""

amen on Raleigh growing UPward. 

""“It introduces a whole new level of financing risk that we’re honestly not sure how we’ll navigate,” says Bonner Gaylord, managing director of operations for Kane. “It could put the project in jeopardy, but we’re willing to take that risk to make the council and the community (comfortable) with the project.”""

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/09/04/affordable-housing-push-could-jeopardize-plans-for.html

I understand the debate over affordable housing in many urban areas, but what I don't understand is the insistence that affordable housing be included in high profile developments such as this. To a certain extent I believe that continuing to ram socioeconomic agendas such as this into ever development discussion will ultimately lead to a reluctance to build transformative projects  by many developers and hence a loss of revenue for the cities involved.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RALNATIVE said:

I understand the debate over affordable housing in many urban areas, but what I don't understand is the insistence that affordable housing be included in high profile developments such as this.

I agree.  I think Kane was willing to contribute money to a housing fund but they the city council insisted on including it in the project which makes it more complex. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I agree.  I think Kane was willing to contribute money to a housing fund but they the city council insisted on including it in the project which makes it more complex. 

Maybe some on the city council are just not sophisticated enough in urban planning and development to realize the burden this will place on the developer and how it can actually become a negative for the city if the project fails to materialize because of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1