Peace - Kane's Second Downtown Project (FKA Smokey Hollow)

orulz

• 2 weeks later...

Phase I's street level is absolutely horrendous. Orulz noticed on the plans way back when, that it looked like a solid blank wall along West St. Well that's what it is. And along Harrington too it turns out minus the little triangle retail space that has a car pull through behind it. The Peace St face, sure, has a walk in entrance but right next to that is a massive car entrance. This is the primary problem with a grocery store of this size in a downtown...it is setup such that carloads of groceries are the expectation for the seller and the buyer. The pedestrian is an afterthought to these large scale, weeks worth of groceries, transactions. 

It looks like Ph II is substantially better on that front, at least. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 9/15/2019 at 12:20 AM, Jones_ said:

Phase I's street level is absolutely horrendous. Orulz noticed on the plans way back when, that it looked like a solid blank wall along West St. Well that's what it is. And along Harrington too it turns out minus the little triangle retail space that has a car pull through behind it. The Peace St face, sure, has a walk in entrance but right next to that is a massive car entrance. This is the primary problem with a grocery store of this size in a downtown...it is setup such that carloads of groceries are the expectation for the seller and the buyer. The pedestrian is an afterthought to these large scale, weeks worth of groceries, transactions. 

It looks like Ph II is substantially better on that front, at least. 

Believe it or not, but some people, even those in urbanized areas decide to have families and find devoting time to raising a family easier easier if they buy more than 3 days of groceries at a time.  When that option is accessible for most in the area due to a combination of factors (i.e. not living in Manhattan, without a car), all will take it.  That reality is likely far more important to nearly everyone than the subjective aesthetics of a small portion of said building.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^thanks I did not have time to go up that street and this always so much construction and lane closures.   This Peace project phase 1 and 2 is just a great addition to the city.  Now Kane build the new tallest in the city and I know you can do it! 

Yeah the road is sort of a mess right now, and it can be confusing. I am really excited for this whole project to he done, it's going to look really great. The Capital Blvd realignment is a huge help too. In fact, the other night I was driving from my midtown house to downtown for an 8PM hair appointment, and while I was going down Capital approaching the city I was really impressed with how different and, well, positively urban it felt.  I had high rises on both sides with lights on and the Wework building with their colored LED lights on, that ugly red barn on capital got torn down so you can see a lot more. It was great. When 301 Hillsborough, 121 Fayetteville and Phase 3 are complete, will be a whole new look again on that northern approach. I hope we hear news of Phase 3 soon. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

that 9 story office building looks topped out now.  It is a nice design and this whole project is going to inject so much life into the area with the new Publix, close to 700 apartments between next door Peace and the Line apartments  and this office building.

http://www.kanerealtycorp.com/project/421-n-harrington-st/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was noticing the Smokey Hollow development late yesterday afternoon while driving into downtown on Capital Blvd, and this development is massive and impressive. Can't wait to see the finished product. I'll try to snap some photos from that vantage point when I get an opportunity.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...