Sign in to follow this  
e-dub

i miss you, nashville.

If you don't mind my asking, what part of Knoxville are you in? I spent 5 years there (mostly college...so yeah...), and enjoyed it quite a bit. I worked downtown, enjoyed the urban vibe that can be had, but I know what you mean when you say it's mostly-suburbs. 

i'm in south knoxville. 

it seems that every day i hear the name of some other little small suburb i've never heard before. i know there are a lot of people in the 'burbs in nashville, but it seems they're concentrated in larger towns. here there seems to be dozens of them with only a couple hundred people. it's so weird.

LIved in Nashville in the late70s early 80s. Any of these still around? Funky fingers, Obewons, Scirocco's pizza, Maude's Courtyard, Pablo's Deli, The Whippet, Mary's BBQ, International Market, Rotiers, Julian's, Friday's on Elliston, Exit Inn, more that I can't recall on 23rd? Help an old guy out!

Sure you don't mean Ciraco's pizza... was where Mellow Mushroom is now at 21st and Grand. Maude's has been out of biz since at least the mid-90s. Several other places have been there. Building is now being renovated into a new eating establishment, a bar I think. Int'l Market is still there on Belmont. I think Mary's went out about 8 years ago, and I think the location downtown is now Pucketts.   Friday's on Elliston (I believe the first one outside of NYC) is no longer there. It was demolished before the IHOP at that corner was built about 7-8 years ago.  Julians was there on West End behind Rotiers (still there) until about 6 years ago, when the site was bought as a part of the Hilton Homewood suites was built. Don't know of Funky Fingers... or Obewons (do you mean Obie's... which I think is still there). Don't remember any of the others... but I was there in the late 1980s and into the early 90s.  Been going up there several times a year since then. 

Very good, thank you ML. Yea Ciraco's, and Obie's. Friday's no big loss food sucks, we had 4 here, down to 3. Julian's and Maudes big loses. Ciraco's I can still remember it's taste, sooo.....good. International Market 4 people could pig out for about 5 bucks total not each. Chicken and football on TV at Rotiers de best. Pablo's Deli on West End great samis, probably gone. The Whippet on friday nights cheap drinks tons of fun. So much more, better stop, gonna get misty. Going to Bristol in the spring, maybe I can swing back thru Music and check it out.

so, it's a little later than i thought it would happen... but i'm coming back home :)

won't be able to move back to the neighborhood just yet, but i can't wait to!

• Like 2

On 12/17/2016 at 1:42 PM, SEsideguy said:

LIved in Nashville in the late70s early 80s. Any of these still around? Funky fingers, Obewons, Scirocco's pizza, Maude's Courtyard, Pablo's Deli, The Whippet, Mary's BBQ, International Market, Rotiers, Julian's, Friday's on Elliston, Exit Inn, more that I can't recall on 23rd? Help an old guy out!

Btw...Exit In is still going strong.  Be sure to come through town when you're close.  You DEFINITELY won't recognize the small-town Nashville you remember from the 70's and 80's.