markhollin

Adam Sichko @NSHBIZSichko 2h2 hours ago
MoSCOOP: Remember the 2015 controversy w/this 40-story, two-tower proposal? Sources confirm one tower is gone. New version on @NashvilleMDHA agenda tmrw -- expect more info later today...

Personally, I'm OK with this---I always thought two towers plus the adjoining hotel between was going to look oftly cramped.  Anxious to see/hear what the changes will be. 

• Like 4

Screwed over again. One tower instead of two. 

From the Press Release

151 1st Avenue South is now designed as a singular 40-story tall high-rise tower with 142 luxury riverfront condominiums paired with a 232 room five-star luxury hotel in the six-story center podium. The project will provide parking to 374 cars and maintain around 8,000 SF of retail which will serve to activate First Avenue across from West Riverfront Park. In this advanced design, a previously shown multifamily apartment tower has been removed to keep project focused on synergies between hotel and condominiums.

• Like 2

I prefer the older version, but I suppose that if scaling this down a bit helps it to actually get built I’m ok with it. I appreciate that they kept some height, but I wish they had made up for the loss of the other tower with an extra couple hundred feet and/or a more interesting design. Overall though I’d prefer a scaled down version to 10 years of development hell. 

• Like 2

I can't help but think that some other entity (*wink wink*) really threw a fit about "blocked views" and may have (speculation only) offered the "sliver" owner some major cash to not sell to 2nd Ave Partners.  With the impending court date in early 2018, I'm just wondering if this is an olive branch to make everything go smoothly?  Notice how the views are no longer blocked.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

sometimes I cant believe how fast nashville is growing, the only other cities I've seen grow at this pace in 4-5 years are cities in China, not even Austin grew this quickly (it was a decade for them, half a decade for us to get to a similar population). sorry but I just needed too say this :P 

• Like 4

We are not growing at the same population rate as Austin even now.  They have been ahead of us as far as population growth for some time. I think Charlotte is still ahead of us in terms of % of population growth. Things are not always as they seem.

A lot of the high-rises here have been hotels and we are a different model than Austin or Charlotte. In that respect we are more in line with Las Vegas and Orlando.

We are fortunate here to have things that all of the above cities I mentioned have, and none of those cites have what we have in terms a diverse economy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ingram said:

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with glass. Glass doesn't dirty up and it's easy to clean. A squeegee is a lot more doable and way more affordable than pressure washing or a new paint job.

It's not the glass, it's the boxiness. I'm just over rectangles. 

For me personally at least.

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition

4 hours ago, FluffyP13 said:

Gross

Agreed.

On a scale of 1-10, my excitement level for this just went from about a 10 to a 5. It's nice to know the project isn't dead and the infill is nice, but I'm not a fan of how super slim the tower is at that angle. 

Also, this new design will do very little to fill in the gap between SoBro and the rest of downtown.

Edited by urbanplanet17

I'm fine with it being reduced to one tower honestly. Yes, the twin design was really cool and totally unseen in Nashville but I didn't like the way that it totally blocked out the Pinnacle (and for the record, I am not affiliated with Pinnacle at all lol).  The only thing I don't really like is how huge that base is. All I can see is a giant L dominating our skyline. 

Edited by henburg
  • Like 2