markhollin

On 10/3/2021 at 7:56 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Respectfully disagree.

Many of the newer buildings are much more energy efficient because of glass. Not that I want glass building everywhere as I do think it can be rather boring, I will say it seems as if it the way of the future as it it cheaper and lightweight.

https://www.ny-engineers.com/blog/why-is-glass-so-common-in-commercial-buildings

Sustainable and Energy Efficient

• Glass is recyclable, and can be reused many times without losing quality.
  • Glass reduces the dead load of a building, since it is lightweight.
  • There are many energy efficient glass products, and low-emissivity glass (low-e) is one of the most widely used. This type of glass achieves energy savings and lower utility bills, as well as points under the LEED rating system.

Cost-Effective

• Glass allows natural lighting, reducing the artificial lighting output required during daytime.
  • Efficient glass provides energy savings, achieving synergy with efficient MEP systems. This combination can drastically lower your utility bill
  • Heat Transfer

Glass buildings allow natural lighting, but this causes solar heat gain and higher cooling expenses during summer. Thanks to innovation in glass manufacturing, this can be offset with energy efficient fenestration.

Glare

Another issue that must be considered is the potential glare that occurs with glass surfaces. There are special coatings and techniques to reduce glare in glass, and the window layout can also be optimized so the sun is not directly visible.

Benefits of Low-E Glass

Low-emissivity glass reduces heat transfer significantly, compared with conventional glass. This type of glass improves natural lighting and thermal performance in buildings. Low-E coatings block parts of the solar spectrum, and they limit the passage of ultraviolet and infrared light. However, visible light can pass through without any problem.

A low-emissivity material is one that radiates small amounts of thermal energy. When the glass in a building has this property, heat is conserved more effectively during winter, and heat gain is reduced during summer. As a result, the HVAC system can operate more efficiently.

Most buildings are glass for cost actually its an easy and more lightweight system to clip  on the building frame which makes the foundation smaller.  Its definitely not for energy efficiency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It’s all about perspective right? The newer glazing technologies we are seeing are getting more and more efficient than previous glazing systems. They are still not as efficient as more conventional wall system that has insulation packed into it or continuous insulation along the exterior of the wall. But when we weigh the energy efficiency against the cost and simplicity of the glazing system it works out better when compared to all the parts and pieces that go into a conventional wall. 

then there is the life cycle approach which I have never done, but understanding the entire life cycle of a glazing system versus a conventional system is a whole other discussion. 

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

It’s all about perspective right? The newer glazing technologies we are seeing are getting more and more efficient than previous glazing systems. They are still not as efficient as more conventional wall system that has insulation packed into it or continuous insulation along the exterior of the wall. But when we weigh the energy efficiency against the cost and simplicity of the glazing system it works out better when compared to all the parts and pieces that go into a conventional wall. 

then there is the life cycle approach which I have never done, but understanding the entire life cycle of a glazing system versus a conventional system is a whole other discussion. 

also add in that all glass facades are lighter, meaning less steel/concrete in the foundation. 

20 hours ago, nashvylle said:

also add in that all glass facades are lighter, meaning less steel/concrete in the foundation. 

Correct it is lighter to a certain extent. Curtain wall system may not result in less concrete or steel though because in many cases the concrete or steel is still in situations such as cantilevering out to the exterior wall. for example in many concrete buildings the columns are inset and the edge of slab is “floating” at its actual edge. The thickness of the slab, amount of rebar, size of column is built in to support that condition as well as the facade system. 
Depending on wind loads, the actual selected finish for the facade, a traditional wall may be lighter (those curtain wall panels are still pretty heavy), but they are exponentially more complicated to install and have more possible failure points, so a curtain wall presents less possible liability (to a certain extent) for owner/designer/contractor. All of this contributes to the total energy calculation of the facade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

How this compare to the 505 tower? They're both similar 40+ story blue glass structures, although 4 Seasons may have more luxury/quality features. I think the impressive base on 4 Seasons stands out. I like how 505 is glass from the sidewalk all the way up. 

But I haven't seen either in person from the ground, so I don't know...

• Like 1