markhollin

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Is there any lighting on this building? I don’t even see the Four Seasons symbol on top as in the rendering. I’ve had not had the chance to view this at night, so I’m not sure . 

I believe so at the top though I don’t think it’s been turned on yet. I’ve also been waiting for them to install the Four Seasons symbol at the top. Considering the glass work isn’t finished yet though, I would assume they will put it up when that is further completed. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Absolutely agree! I have seen that in Indianapolis, De Moines, and other cities and I do not understand that if it is done there why it can't be done here. Everyone talks about cost consideration but at what point will you have to take in the fact that people are stupid and take chances crossing the street. They at least need covered walkways from the convention hotels surrounding the MCC into the MCC across the main streets.

If you have never checked out Des Moines Iowa, I suggest you do so. Some of that was done for the bad winters there as it connects a lot of the office buildings, hotels, govt buildings, & parking garages as well. The entire system is lined with retail.

Skywalk System Map (revize.com)

The Indy CC is connected to 12 hotels and 4,700 hotel rooms via skywalks.

Minneapolis is a master class in this as well. You can get all across downtown never stepping outside.

9 hours ago, Nashusker said:

Long time follower (almost daily for about 10 years), first time responder. Ahh Des Moines my old neck of the woods. I relocated my family from Omaha to Spring Hill 11 years ago, and used to live in DM out of college back in the late 80’s. The skywalk system there is very cool for the size of the city (less than 1/2 Nashville metro) and years ago they used to have putt putt tournaments, races, dog walks, you name it through their extensive skywalk system.  Keep in mind downtown Des Moines is flat which is a factor. I used to compare it to its larger competitor Omaha where I lived 140 miles to the west, and wondered why it didn’t have the taller cooler buildings like Des Moines, and all those skywalks!  It gets frigid in the winter, and that’s a major reason why I and my family are now happy Spring Hillians. Omaha is similar to downtown Nashville in that their both river cities, and as you head west from the Missouri River and the streets #s increase, you’ll start to walk/drive up hill.   I do love Omaha as it’s stepped up quite a bit with development over the past 11 years since we’ve left, however nothing holds a candle in my view to the Nashville area.  Downtown Nashville could definitely benefit from a skywalk system (improved security, less traffic on the roads, bad weather not keeping you from going out to several places on the system). However much like downtown Omaha, several blocks from the river heading west you’ll have problems due to that big hill. 

Welcome to the forum Nashusker! I did a visit to Des Moines and Omaha on the same trip about 3 or 4 years ago and explored both by foot and car pretty extensively. I enjoyed both and found both to be very interesting and was envious of both in certain respects. I really enjoyed the State Capitol tour in DM as it is a beautiful building. The area on that side of the river is very cool needless to say as well.

The Old Market area of Omaha is very cool and filled with quirky locally owned shops or at least it was when I was there. The area around the Baseball stadium was still in transition but I could see a lot of progress had been made but a lot more needed to be done. For some reason it reminded me of Knoxville in a way. Lots of older building stock in place and I hope it stays that way. Walked areas like Little Italy too which was very cool. This is one city that is worth a revisit IMO along with Des Moines. I also visited KC on this visit and that is the crown jewel of the Midwest too. A very under-rated city on many levels!

• Like 4

Although I haven’t been to Disney World in a long time, I was a Florida resident season pass holder for 10 years in the 90’s . I remember they had this cool “ people mover” that connected a few rides ( areas) . It consisted of two seater “cars” that were all connected in a continuous line like a zipper or belt. It just kept moving nonstop at a slow speed like a ski lift does. And also like a lot of airports that have the moving belt , could not these concepts be used in conjunction to regular walkways to form a uniform and safe system connecting downtown? All enclosed of course, with glass wherever possible, elevated over roads etc. would be cool if the new proposed bridge between Germantown and RiverNorth was double decker with a enclosed bottom portion with a “ people mover” and a open upper deck with trees and greenery along the pathways

On 12/15/2021 at 8:02 AM, Luvemtall said:

Although I haven’t been to Disney World in a long time, I was a Florida resident season pass holder for 10 years in the 90’s . I remember they had this cool “ people mover” that connected a few rides ( areas) . It consisted of two seater “cars” that were all connected in a continuous line like a zipper or belt. It just kept moving nonstop at a slow speed like a ski lift does. And also like a lot of airports that have the moving belt , could not these concepts be used in conjunction to regular walkways to form a uniform and safe system connecting downtown? All enclosed of course, with glass wherever possible, elevated over roads etc. would be cool if the new proposed bridge between Germantown and RiverNorth was double decker with a enclosed bottom portion with a “ people mover” and a open upper deck with trees and greenery along the pathways

People Mover is alive and well, but it's only in Tomorrowland. 

Edited by nashscan
  • Thanks 2