markhollin

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Well...it seems it's already happened twice.  First it went down to just one tower...and now they're taking away that strip of land, which I guess means none of that cool stuff happening under the Siegenthaler Bridge.

I think that’s wrong they still have bridge connectivity without the small parcel.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DDIG said:

I think that’s wrong they still have bridge connectivity without the small parcel.

It appears part of the parcel closest to the river abuts the bridge and the sliver parking lot will remain big enough to park about 10 cars on (and a food truck LOL).   

2nd Ave Partners, June 4, 2018, render 5.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Really excited about this project. Love the height, love the street activation and the infill, but dang what a boring design. Sobro is becoming so boring, just same color blue glass boxes. I think i would like this a wee bit more if they changed the glass color to black or something else. I was downtown the other day admiring the skyline and all the growth and couldnt help but shake my head at the samey-ness of all the recent builds, from shape to color. We need some risk taking developers to hit us w a design that makes people talk and are willing to spend a little more money to invest in our architecture that will be there for decades or centuries to come 

44 minutes ago, FluffyP13 said:

Really excited about this project. Love the height, love the street activation and the infill, but dang what a boring design. Sobro is becoming so boring, just same color blue glass boxes. I think i would like this a wee bit more if they changed the glass color to black or something else. I was downtown the other day admiring the skyline and all the growth and couldnt help but shake my head at the samey-ness of all the recent builds, from shape to color. We need some risk taking developers to hit us w a design that makes people talk and are willing to spend a little more money to invest in our architecture that will be there for decades or centuries to come 

Loool! At least they don't have the ugly window frame cladding of Miami, Austin TX,  and Charlotte  NC. Plus they're not beige like Charlotte, NC.

The buildings in sobro plus One Nashville, AT & T, 505, and 1801 will always look brand new and modern because of their glass.

You've got an S shaped building, a building with fins, an oval building, an octagonal building, a cylinder building, a building with antennas, and others. I have no clue what you are talking about with your gripes. If those buildings aren't up to the standards you want then I guess you'll have to build your own because obviously nothing anyone builds in this city satisfies you.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, markhollin said:

This is the small strip of land that will NOT be part of the plan now.

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 4.06.08 PM.png

It's hard to see how he'll ever be able to sell that land for seven figures now at this current time. The type of building that would warrant that price probably won't fit into what's left of that area after Second Ave. Partners builds theirs.

He probably made a mistake by not selling.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ingram said:

Loool! At least they don't have the ugly window frame cladding of Miami, Austin TX,  and Charlotte  NC. Plus they're not beige like Charlotte, NC.

The buildings in sobro plus One Nashville, AT & T, 505, and 1801 will always look brand new and modern because of their glass.

You've got an S shaped building, a building with fins, an oval building, an octagonal building, a cylinder building, a building with antennas, and others. I have no clue what you are talking about with your gripes. If those buildings aren't up to the standards you want then I guess you'll have to build your own because obviously nothing anyone builds in this city satisfies you.

A mix of the two styles you outlined would be my preference. I would prefer not seeing a "glass wall" overtake Nashville whether it is more modern or not. To your point, there is not a building in Miami or Austin that I am jealous of, however Charlottes Bank of America Corp Center is everything great architecture should be...not because of its height but it is gorgeous in every aspect, framed  window cladding and all. I personally would be jealous of this building if it were only 500ft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troyboytn said:

A mix of the two styles you outlined would be my preference. I would prefer not seeing a "glass wall" overtake Nashville whether it is more modern or not. To your point, there is not a building in Miami or Austin that I am jealous of, however Charlottes Bank of America Corp Center is everything great architecture should be...not because of its height but it is gorgeous in every aspect, framed  window cladding and all. I personally would be jealous of this building if it were only 500ft.

Better glass buildings that look new than the wall of window frame cladding buildings of the aforementioned three cities. They look old timey. As for your preference, the developers are going to build what they build. I'm glad they went with the glass look that even after 30 years will still look newly built (One Nashville Place and 1801 West End). I'll let you guys continue with petty jealousies of cities that don't look anywhere near as good as Nashville. Nashville has too many great looking pipeline, new, and old buildings for me to waste my time with jealousy of another place that is lacking.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Would be pretty awesome if the tenant in Pinnacle purchased, or long term leased, that piece of land to preserve their view.

I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to pay 4 figures yet alone 7 figures just for a sightline. He wasn't paid off, he just made a costly error.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ingram said:

I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to pay 4 figures yet alone 7 figures just for a sightline. He wasn't paid off, he just made a costly error.

Plus since the tower shifted to the other side it doesn't preserve any views either way. Looks like the guy tried to gamble and overplayed his hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashwatcher said:

Didn't they offer the owner over 4 million for the sliver? Seriously he should sell now for "something" and they can modify their plans to a two tower building again. If the owner doesn't try to sell it seems insane

I think the two tower plan is dead with or without the parking lot.

If you recall, they had previously gotten approval to build the two towers without the parking lot.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 1

The original design showed towers at both south (where this one remains) and north (an apartment tower) ends. I wouldn't expect that to happen unless downtown goes through another housing boom within a few years after this is completed. There's no telling why SAP went to a single tower (funding, better bottom line profitability, revised market conditions, spite, etc.)

Looking at the renderings, it appears another tower could rise above the parking lot that is now not being purchased. So that remains a possibility, but not a high probability. 

Early on, I heard second-hand that one of their partners with a corner office and a lot of influence was upset that this project would be blocking his view of the Titans stadium (really?).  This is a catty business sometimes. I think it has more to do with the frequent fireworks shows that are launched over the river. Anyway, I do not know for a fact that the firm had anything to do with influencing the owner not to sell. I believe Jack May is a client of one of the attorneys there, but he certainly was not swayed by anyone at BB&S NOT to sell to SAP. It could be a simple case of the owner of the parking lot holding out for more money and likely in violation of "good faith" or contracted terms. If that was the case, then it does look like he screwed himself. 

• Like 1