markhollin

IIRC the last NBJ article on this said that the current landowner understood that the property wouldn't be officially purchased until the legal dispute with the parking lot owner was resolved and he was totally fine on waiting until then to finalize the purchase with them.  The question is: where is the dispute at in the court system at this point?

• Like 1

Wish we knew the whole story on the sliver of land.  I'm not totally sure who's the "bad guy" in this deal.  Is it someone in the Pinnacle that poisoned the water?  Did the land owner figure he could hold 2nd Ave Partners hostage and get more money?  Or did 2nd Ave Partners try to low-ball the landowner, knowing they would be his only option since they would build whether he sold or not...leaving him no options?

• Like 1

What would be the value of a .14 acer lot that is jammed between the Siegenthaler bridge and a 40 story building? I don't personally know, but I imagine it would be less than whatever they were offered. I just hope it gets done as I think the development would really change the face of the skyline for the better.

• Like 1

The fact that The Congress Group has not closed on the property is telling. Many times that happens just before the end of the year for tax purposes I think.

They may have deep pockets, but I am sure they want to get financing lined up before the purchase goes through. Interest rates are going up and this does not bode well for some of thes large scale projects.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

Also the downtown luxury housing market is in a bit of a glut right now, although by the time this is built that may have passed.  They may just not be in much of a hurry given where the market is.

What do you mean by glut? - that there's lots of available inventory just sitting on the market and it's a good buyer's market for downtown luxury housing right now? I thought prices were pretty inflated everywhere around here, or is this a niche exception?  Or do you just mean that there doesn't appear to be much pressing demand for luxury housing downtown right now based on some other indicator? 

1 hour ago, ruraljuror said:

What do you mean by glut? - that there's lots of available inventory just sitting on the market and it's a good buyer's market for downtown luxury housing right now? I thought prices were pretty inflated everywhere around here, or is this a niche exception?  Or do you just mean that there doesn't appear to be much pressing demand for luxury housing downtown right now based on some other indicator? 

The new high rises are offering as much as 3 months free rent. There is definitely a glut. You won't be seeing rising effective rents for the next couple years at least.

• Like 1

I am thinking it will take a minimum of two years to fill everything recently completed , not to mention the others getting ready to come on line. There is a shortage of condos, and I will not be surprised if some of these projects convert some if not all units to condos at some point. The problem is that the condos need to be under 400k, as we have too many that are in the 400k to 1 million plus. There is a market for some of the projects to get that price, and two come to mind. SoBro and 505 will be able to get that price, however both are apartments at this point.

I spoke to the folks at the Element and there are no plans to convert to condos and they are in the Nashville market for the long haul.

We also have to high-rise apartment projects getting ready to start, the old CC site and the Endeavor project on Broadway. They will not come on line for another two to three years out. So this begs to question when Buckingham and the 2nd Ave. project will be built.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...