markhollin

2 hours ago, Titans10 said:

So is that tiny spot next to the bridge that’s not blocked off the land that was being disputed?  If so whoever the owner is isn’t very smart. 

Either that or he was trying to sabotage the project. The base level of the two tower development was going to be yet another place for people to enjoy themselves. The guy is based in Atlanta. He might have found all of the construction and development occurring in Nashville unsettling. It might have irked him. He is already rich so the money may not matter to him. For some people civic pride trumps many things.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ingram said:

Either that or he was trying to sabotage the project. The base level of the two tower development was going to be yet another place for people to enjoy themselves. The guy is based in Atlanta. He might have found all of the construction and development occurring in Nashville unsettling. It might have irked him. He is already rich so the money may not matter to him. For some people civic pride trumps many things.

That seems a little extreme. Although some of yall in Nashville might view Atlanta as the "evil" guy who wants all of you to fail. that is completely wrong. Everyone is actually super happy and glad about the development in Nashville, Charlotte, etc. Almost everyone person would probably realize a great deal when they see one. 

Just look at this Cousins Properties development from Charlotte. They listened to the community and helped come to this final design which looks great. Granted, they only own 50%, but it still looks nice. I think yall would actually like some of the Cousins properties if they expand into Nashville.

https://www.cousins.com/property/dimensional-place

Nobody gives a crap about Atlanta. Everything Nashville touches turns to gold; from the Stanley Cup Finals to the NHL All Star Game to the NFL Draft to the soon to be NASCAR Awards. This is postulation on why the guy or company didn't sell the lot. Plus it's just a fact that higher ups from other cities are apprehensive and/or flat out fear how prominent Nashville is.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ric0_0 said:

Just look at this Cousins Properties development from Charlotte. They listened to the community and helped come to this final design which looks great. Granted, they only own 50%, but it still looks nice. I think yall would actually like some of the Cousins properties if they expand into Nashville.

https://www.cousins.com/property/dimensional-place

Looks like a pre-school contest design. The architect was probably drinking a juicy juice when he drew it. We'll stick with the eleven half billion to two billion dollar developments that are underway.

Edited by Ingram

Can't speak to any of the above, but my parents still live in northern Fulton County and I love where I grew up. But I remember as a Sophomore at Vandy, I read in the AJC that Billy Payne called Nashville a 'podunk town' b/c a committee in Nashville had formed to bid for the Olympic games. 

You guys have to remember that the developers had a contract on that small piece of land...but while the developers were getting approvals from the city to make sure they could do what they wanted to do...the owner of the land decided to no longer sell to them (at around the same time that BB&S started their complaint about losing sight of the river).  The developer and land owner even went to court over all of this...and in the end, they still didn't sell.  So...weird that they were going to sell...and then must have decided there was no way they were going to sell to this developer.  Sounds almost like something happened where the owner would rather lose the land's value than to sell to them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, titanhog said:

You guys have to remember that the developers had a contract on that small piece of land...but while the developers were getting approvals from the city to make sure they could do what they wanted to do...the owner of the land decided to no longer sell to them (at around the same time that BB&S started their complaint about losing sight of the river).  The developer and land owner even went to court over all of this...and in the end, they still didn't sell.  So...weird that they were going to sell...and then must have decided there was no way they were going to sell to this developer.  Sounds almost like something happened where the owner would rather lose the land's value than to sell to them.

If I may... as someone who is close friend to someone at the firm, that sums up what happened. The post above noted that the owner was not 'in it' for the money. BB&S wanted their river view. They would have actually preferred no building there. Of course, I think it's absurd that a leading law firm in a city would actually obstruct a prominent development there. 

• Like 3

Let's try to look at the bright side.  It's weird architectural quirks and local conspiracy theories like this that will result in an interesting built environment to look at.  Pedestrians on the Shelby street bridge will be wondering out-loud for years to come "What's up with that little parking lot down there?"  Maybe a church will be built there in the future for that new AI-worshiping religion started in California, who knows.  It would be a great spot for an annoyingly abstract art installation named "The Futility of Pride" in honor of BB&S attempting to sabotage the Four Seasons.  Or perhaps it could be the location of a new homeless park if the old one is displaced by Tony's proposed 60-story tower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think that I could at least understand BB&S a little bit more if they were desperately trying to preserve a skyline view, but that river view? Don't get me wrong the Cumberland is fine and good, but what they're really aimed at is a literal scrapyard and interstate interchange. That seems like a strange hill to die on to me.

Edited by henburg
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

If I may... as someone who is close friend to someone at the firm, that sums up what happened. The post above noted that the owner was not 'in it' for the money. BB&S wanted their river view. They would have actually preferred no building there. Of course, I think it's absurd that a leading law firm in a city would actually obstruct a prominent development there. 

Losing the parking lot sliver did not kill the second tower. They had a design with the sliver and the second tower. I think they simply just decided to not do multi-family and focus on the luxury condos / hotel. I'd assume dropping the multi-family tower also potentially helps the condos.

29 minutes ago, DDIG said:

I'd assume dropping the multi-family tower also potentially helps the condos.

That was the reasoning that the developers gave for eliminating the apartment tower.  No apartment tower = uninterrupted skyline views for condo owners for a looooonnnnnggggg time.

39 minutes ago, bmkTN said:

That was the reasoning that the developers gave for eliminating the apartment tower.  No apartment tower = uninterrupted skyline views for condo owners for a looooonnnnnggggg time.

Yep. Plus if you are dropping whatever coin a Four Seasons condo is gonna cost you probably don't want to mingle with renters no matter how high-end the units are...

2 hours ago, henburg said:

I think that I could at least understand BB&S a little bit more if they were desperately trying to preserve a skyline view, but that river view? Don't get me wrong the Cumberland is fine and good, but what they're really aimed at is a literal scrapyard and interstate interchange. That seems like a strange hill to die on to me.

I think the primary view they would concern themselves with here is that of the stadium, pedestrian bridge, and Cumberland Park. Not that any of that matters now, eh?

26 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

This actually looks like a beautiful development. Thanks for sharing! Nashville could actually learn from this development in how the building actually speaks to users and the pedestrian zone along the street. hell the pedestrians have almost more space than the cars along this face!!! Way to go Cousins, hopefully this comes our way in the next couple years.

Image result for dimensional place charlotte

I'd just as soon they keep their hideous design and just give everyone in Nashville a free juicy juice.

Edited by Ingram

24 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^Is there any retail at street level under Pinnacle on 2nd?  If not, I wonder if they can retro-fit any retail space there?  I think that would be great for the area after Four Seasons is built.

There’s not. The Pinnacle’s Gym is on that side of the building, along with loading areas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1