Downtown Projects Update

orulz

Various photos of downtown Wilmington. With new hotels, more restaurants, more people living here it is really vibrant now. All photos today.  New Waffle House coming on Front Street too.  It is good to see residents walking dogs and jogging downtown in the main business district. 

IMG_4045.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

IMG_4078.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4081.JPG

IMG_4082.JPG

IMG_4083.JPG

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

• Like 2

New 7 story riverfront Aloft hotel proposed behind Coastline Center on a skinny lot.  https://www.wwaytv3.com/2017/12/12/aloft-hotel-coming-to-downtown-wilmington/

another story about it 

https://portcitydaily.com/2017/12/11/aloft-coastline-hotel-submits-plans-for-7-story-hotel-in-downtown-wilmington-biz/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

I love Wilmington and am happy with the growth going on down there but these new hotels are looking pretty cheap.  I would think that Wilmington would have better design guidelines or their Planning Board and/or City Council would do more to make these new buildings fit in better to their surroundings.  

2 hours ago, jtmonk said:

I love Wilmington and am happy with the growth going on down there but these new hotels are looking pretty cheap.  I would think that Wilmington would have better design guidelines or their Planning Board and/or City Council would do more to make these new buildings fit in better to their surroundings.  

While there are some architecture gems in Wilmington, most of them are from the turn of the century, if not much older than that. The only real modern architectural developments that look hopeful are the Water Street Development. Wilmington is amass with potential, but unfortunately, just downtown seems to have been properly developed in a way that encourages some density. Look up around the university and you see a continuous strip of bleakness. It's really unfortunate.

But I think we are starting to see a shift in how Wilmington, and even some of the smaller towns around the city are beginning to develop urban cores.

I like the mixture of new hotels and office buildings along with the historical ones and smaller buildings along Front St plus a huge historical residential area near downtown.  These photos are from today and last ones are from the new Sawmill apartments along the river.  I think the downtown is really vibrant and even getting better.  The Riverwalk is longer than Savannah's for example.  Downtown needed some newer office space or the businesses would have gone to the suburbs.  

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG