Richmond Proper's Broad Street Corridor

RiverYuppy

I thought I would make a thread specifically for the Broad Street Corridor.  I think a bunch of small redevelopments are going to drastically change that corridor.  I think the opening of CNB apartments is going to have a huge impact as well.

I'll start with the intersection of Broad & 3rd.  We have the CNB Apartments which just opened.  Across the street we have the new VCU PD headquarters being renovated.  Ostensibly VCU moved its police headquarters there to help with the Broad St. corridor.  Catty corner to the CNB there is a children's non-profit renovating the corner building.

A couple blocks away the new VCU Children's Hospital just opened.

At 315 W. Broad St, Ledbury has announced it is going to open its flagship retail center.

On the corner of Broad and Belvedere, the VCU ICA is under construction.  A block away from it, the restaurant Antler & Fin renovated a space on Broad.

Closer to VCU, Urban Farmhouse and Dunkin' Donuts both turned blighted buildings into urban cafes.

VCU also did an amazing renovation of the derelict Trolley Station.

Moving away from VCU, a Whole Foods should be replacing the old Pleasant's Hardware location.

Across from the DMV, Zaxby's is renovating the old Arby's building before it moves in.

We're even seeing development on the other side of the Boulevard.  The Hofheimer building underwent an amazing transformation and now features one of Peter Chang's restaurants.

I wasn't able to find a news article about it, but I know this building on Broad is also undergoing renovations.

I'm also fairly certain the old Virginia Department of Game building is going to be turned into apartments.

Not to mention the BRT construction will happen soon!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I forgot to mention the Maggie Walker statue that will be erected on Broad & Adams.  It looks like they are going to close one of the small street sections to expand the plaza and hopefully allow for some more outside dining seating at Max's.

Also the Pie Five near Laurel & Broad closed.  They really renovated that location, even adding a rooftop patio.  I think it is a prime site for a much needed VCU themed bar.  Hopefully something good will make use of such a great location and the amazing renovations done to it.

Right next to the new Gather on Broad in Scott's Addition, Joy Garden is closing. The same people who co-own the gather spot own it now, I think it's Thalhimer. Exterior renovation will be done. I'm sure something will fill this in quick 

Also the old Chinatown bus stop on the other side of Broad is being filled in by Reservoir Distilling. I believe it will be for expansion and they are not leaving any current space. Not sure if there will be a tasting room or anything or if this will just be production space. 

I have heard that the newly renovated CNB building (Deco Apartments) is planning to have 7000+ square feet of commercial space on the ground level with Broad St. frontage. There is big buzz about what is going in there, but before their announcement it has been on the hush. Does anyone know what is slated to go into that space? Whatever it is it will be beautiful with giant arched windows, ornate coffered ceiling, and plenty of historic charm.  

The renovation on Broad and Lombardy has finished.  It features new apartments and a Verizon Wireless ground floor retail store.  

FX4izvW.jpg

I think it really helps with making corridor seem more lively for those driving by at night.  There are a significant amount of apartments in the back too.  The building behind it is a somewhat large apartment building that just finished renovations.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a renovation of the old post office is underway.  It will be renovated into an office for a local tech company.  That will make two co-working spaces and a tech company slated to grow to 40-60 employees right there on Broad, which will hopefully add to demand for food & entertainment.

That awesome to hear. Also I know there is a building being renovated right down broad from here on the same block as The Savory Grain. Below is a picture of it on google maps which conveniently shows the building under renovation. Not sure what it's going to be, probably apartments.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5575605,-77.4617772,3a,75y,227.86h,93.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGI57GPQ8ZnlSIUNsOGIgdw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

39 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

That awesome to hear. Also I know there is a building being renovated right down broad from here on the same block as The Savory Grain. Below is a picture of it on google maps which conveniently shows the building under renovation. Not sure what it's going to be, probably apartments.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5575605,-77.4617772,3a,75y,227.86h,93.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGI57GPQ8ZnlSIUNsOGIgdw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Good that part of broad needs more development. I would love to see all of broad from the belt line expressway to Churchhill become a corridor for dense retail.

3 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

Nice, I did not notice that one!  

It would be interesting if it were apartments since the building next to it is an after hours club.  They only use the upper levels during promotional events though, so the noise pollution is probably not that significant.  

Hopefully with everything else on the block getting spruced up the owner will decide its a good time to sell that building for a nice profit.  If not, I hope she at least tries to make the place a little more inviting.

EDIT:  Looks like it's going to be a "Pie & Pints" restaurant, though I would be surprised if the top level didn't get turned into apartments.

• 1 month later...

Another retailer coming to Broad Street:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/09/16/boot-shop-steps-into-downtown-retail-scene/

That area of Broad has really taken off recently with Verdalina, Mod and Soul, Ledbury, Quirk Hotel, Boka, and now Rider.  I am convinced that Broad Street will, assuming it maintains its current momentum, be worthy of designation as one of America's great streets in the future.  It just needs some more TLC,

This sounds amazing! The BRT has barely started construction and its already creating a lot of development along broad. Maybe we will see something to vary town or out to the suburbs next so we can have a true commuter system. But wow this is great to hear. The BRT is doing wonders for broad and they haven't even ran one bus on the route.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived