Richmond Proper's Broad Street Corridor

RiverYuppy

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Loved reading about the good news on Broad Street. I wonder how much of the growth there (and projected) is due to the BRT system?  Might we see something tall be built sometime soon?  The article kind of hints of that sort of project. I'll be waiting with bated breathe!

On November 28, 2016 at 4:10 PM, eandslee said:

Loved reading about the good news on Broad Street. I wonder how much of the growth there (and projected) is due to the BRT system?  Might we see something tall be built sometime soon?  The article kind of hints of that sort of project. I'll be waiting with bated breathe!

Don't really know how much of it is due to BRT.  I think it's more a matter of inevitability than anything.  This section of Broad is sandwiched between VCU and Downtown.  And if you just look at the buildings, the trees, and the street itself are all too beautiful to continue in a state of blight.  The street just begs for investment, and I think the market is finally responding to that.  I hope one day it will be designated as one of America's great streets.

Of course I think BRT will help accelerate Broad Street's revitalization, but I don't think it's much of a causal factor up to this point.

I am noticing that the potential development  on the 300 block of E. Broad St. is right at one of the BRT stops so there may be influence there.  The 600 block of E. Grace St. is also near a stop but that was always an obvious location ripe for development.

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

I am noticing that the potential development  on the 300 block of E. Broad St. is right at one of the BRT stops so there may be influence there.  The 600 block of E. Grace St. is also near a stop but that was always an obvious location ripe for development.

What is this 300 block of Broad development I keep hearing about? I know the 600 Grace is the City Center development from the thread created yesterday

33 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

What is this 300 block of Broad development I keep hearing about? I know the 600 Grace is the City Center development from the thread created yesterday

Someone on here reported a while back a developer interested in purchasing several structures on Broad with intent to possibly develop a 10+ (16?) story mixed use tower.  The article above reports those buildings in question as now sold so it appears that info has some legitimacy.

6 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

Richmond Bizsense did an article about E. Broad: Developers continue buying spree along E. Broad

Another great story. I just hope these purchased properties turn into some awesome projects!  Weird that no one really has announced any real plans. Wonder if they are buying and holding (hoping to sell at a higher price to another developer) or if they really have plans to do anything themselves.  I'm ready see the Broad Street area really takes off (not that it isn't doing well now, but just imagine the possibilities)!

The old post office is getting renovated. It looks like the post office moved right next door. Between the two there is a vacant building that has an application for a beer license posted.

ic7cIwk.jpg

J0kf384.jpg

9LPAY1I.jpg
It really makes that bit of broad look a lot nicer.

Also, the Urban Farmhouse on broad is moving to Linden Row. I hope someplace nice takes up that location since their renovation was very well done. Next to them a new kabob restaurant opened that looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

The old post office is getting renovated. It looks like the post office moved right next door. Between the two there is a vacant building that has an application for a beer license posted.

cdbda6d3eec4fb1fce0627c37f14dcd3.jpg
d4140087ba96b81a980978bb262df138.jpg
6b80d0644079347c455f9d4ddc22b8a8.jpg

It really makes that bit of broad look a lot nicer.

Also, the Urban Farmhouse on broad is moving to Linden Row. I hope someplace nice takes up that location since their renovation was very well done. Next to them a new kabob restaurant opened that looks nice.

Unfortunately, links don't work. 

On 12/2/2016 at 6:15 PM, RiverYuppy said:

From what I understand the Broad street location is not leaving, they are just adding a new one. May be wrong though.

39 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

From what I understand the Broad street location is not leaving, they are just adding a new one. May be wrong though.

The place has been emptied out and there is a note on the door that says they are moving to Linden Row.

2 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

The place has been emptied out and there is a note on the door that says they are moving to Linden Row.

Haha I was just coming back to post that I was in fact wrong. I don't know if that is the best move for them. They seem to be having some issues in the past year, maybe expanding too fast. This is the third location that has closed/moved already.

That plan is one of the best things I've read about the BRT. It mentions so many great things for urban development that we need to focus on as the BRT increases development. Things like buildings to the corners, increasing street visibility and bordered parking areas are awesome things to see the city talking about. 

Archived