New Meijer "Bridge Street Market" on the West Side

GRDadof3

I think Meijer is willing to make this store work for the long-term, even though it may be a "loss leader." ie not very profitable. I can guarantee that people within walking distance of this store will find it to be "too expensive."  People just outside the walk radius will go this store quite often on small runs but do their major shopping at other Meijer stores and big box Costco and Aldi.  But I predict it will always be busy, just not profitably busy. 

Suspect they will take a cue from other urban stores and enhance profit margins through an expanded deli and sit down area with fewer food aisles.  It would make sense considering the area demographic is increasingly student or young professional who don't exactly drop $200 a trip and lug 10 bags up 3 stories to their undersized fridge half full of craft beer and yogurt.  It also desensitizes pricing when shopping piecemeal.  

On 5/12/2018 at 6:29 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I think Meijer is willing to make this store work for the long-term, even though it may be a "loss leader." ie not very profitable. I can guarantee that people within walking distance of this store will find it to be "too expensive."  People just outside the walk radius will go this store quite often on small runs but do their major shopping at other Meijer stores and big box Costco and Aldi.  But I predict it will always be busy, just not profitably busy. 

Well, as someone that lives within walking distance to the new store, I'm prepared for slightly increased prices and I think for my neighbors, they'll be fine with the prices due to the convenience factor and the fact that there's no other large grocery store nearby.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Well, as someone that lives within walking distance to the new store, I'm prepared for slightly increased prices and I think for my neighbors, they'll be fine with the prices due to the convenience factor and the fact that there's no other large grocery store nearby.

Wasn't trying to be offensive but the household income/poverty levels within walking distance of this Meijer are not great; especially North of I-196 are some of the poorest neighborhoods in Grand Rapids.  Or at least that used to be the case before a lot of displacement started happening. 

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wasn't trying to be offensive but the household income/poverty levels within walking distance of this Meijer are not great; especially North of I-196 are some of the poorest neighborhoods in Grand Rapids.  Or at least that used to be the case before a lot of displacement started happening. 

I don’t know for sure because I never shopped at Duthler’s, but I suspect the low income neighbors will be paying less for basic groceries at the Bridge Street Market than they were at the now closed Duthler’s, even though prices at Bridge Street Market will be more than a regular Meijer.  All Duthler’s had going for it was a poor neighborhood whose residents didn’t have much choice.   

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Understood but when your only option is a slightly higher priced Meijer/Bridge Street Market or nothing, you'll pay the higher price. 

4 hours ago, walker said:

I don’t know for sure because I never shopped at Duthler’s, but I suspect the low income neighbors will be paying less for basic groceries at the Bridge Street Market than they were at the now closed Duthler’s, even though prices at Bridge Street Market will be more than a regular Meijer.  All Duthler’s had going for it was a poor neighborhood whose residents didn’t have much choice.   

These are some of my thoughts too. I wasn't a frequent Duthler's shopper but for those 'oh crap! I forgot the garlic/butter/onions/probably should grab some beer ...'  moments I would run over there. Their prices were higher than you'd expect from a regular Meijer but I expect  the Bridge Street Market to be right  around that same price point. 

49 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Understood but when your only option is a slightly higher priced Meijer/Bridge Street Market or nothing, you'll pay the higher price. 

These are some of my thoughts too. I wasn't a frequent Duthler's shopper but for those 'oh crap! I forgot the garlic/butter/onions/probably should grab some beer ...'  moments I would run over there. Their prices were higher than you'd expect from a regular Meijer but I expect  the Bridge Street Market to be right  around that same price point. 

I'd expect a similar price to Duthler's, however, I'm expecting wayyyyyyy higher quality. Duthlers was disgusting.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2018/02/28/hy-vee-downtown-des-moines-store-succeeds-while-restaurants-struggle/379077002/

Not everyone of these is a success story...Des Moines similar sized city but often a step ahead of GR has had their local favorite open a similar sized downtown market and under the same name btw.  Looks like it’s putting pressure on nearby restaurants. Fortunately for Bridge street there’s not much there anyways and there hasn’t been much in the design calling for this type of setup.

11 hours ago, GR8scott said:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2018/02/28/hy-vee-downtown-des-moines-store-succeeds-while-restaurants-struggle/379077002/

Not everyone of these is a success story...Des Moines similar sized city but often a step ahead of GR has had their local favorite open a similar sized downtown market and under the same name btw.  Looks like it’s putting pressure on nearby restaurants. Fortunately for Bridge street there’s not much there anyways and there hasn’t been much in the design calling for this type of setup.

The article does mention that Des Moines may be suffering from too many restaurants opening too, like here. 

11 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

Quote:

"The store, called Market 5-ONE-5, is one-fifth the size of a typical supermarket"

OK, well, their store's name is dumber.

And the Pita restaurant that is closing was called "Pita Pit." As in pit of despair? Pit in my stomach? Grease pit?  There is no version of pit that has a good connotation. Peach pit? Pit stop?  Arm pit? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• GRDadof3 changed the title to New Meijer "Bridge Street Market" on the West Side
  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, mpchicago said:

The Bridge Street Market is wrapping up its first year with some success.   The market sold more sushi this past year than any "Meijer" in the Midwest. :D

https://progressivegrocer.com/meijers-bridge-street-market-focused-local-1st-year

I'm glad it's doing well, but wouldn't that really mean it's the location selling the most sushi?

• 5 months later...