New Meijer "Bridge Street Market" on the West Side

GRDadof3

7 hours ago, mgreven said:

Bridge Street Market...is that the official name?

From what I understand "Downtown Market" was already taken.  I'm a little disappointed personally.  I was hoping it would be named "Bridge St. Market live" or something more clever.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sudoclam said:

Anyone have a guess to when Bridge St. will turn into a one way heading west between either Turner or Seward to Milwaukee? Just my gut feeling.

You mean whether they intend it to be a one-way or not? :rofl:

Welcome!

11 hours ago, sudoclam said:

Anyone have a guess to when Bridge St. will turn into a one way heading west between either Turner or Seward to Milwaukee? Just my gut feeling.

I really can't see that happening. The city has already talked about converting Lyon, Ottawa, and Ionia into 2-way streets, can't see them creating a new 1-way. Which for the record I am totally fine with. I drive head on with people going the wrong way down Lyon or Fountain far too often.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Sounds like this could end up being more of a Fresh Thyme Market concept than a traditional Mejier grocery concept.   Has anyone been to the Fresh Thyme on Burton?  I think it's supposed to be a hybrid between a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's...

I was there a while back, on a weekday, and the place was dead.  I was, maybe, one of 15 people in the store.  I found them to be slightly overpriced. They took some of the best parts of Meijer and combined them with ideas stolen from the other stores.  The selection was good but it felt like an experiment and not something that had been refined.  I may have to visit again on a weekend to see how busy it is. Whole foods are busy almost 24/7. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Ugh. Why not name it Meijer and be done with it? Seems like a waste of energy to me. Also seems like they missed a golden opportunity to keep the name and use it as a prototype for other urban locations. That would include layout, signage, marketing, etc. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

Joe

I tend to agree with Joe on this one. I think most people will end up just calling it Meijer or Bridge St Meijer ... but never Meijers.

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Your crimes are forgiven. 

My wife gives me grief about this all the time...

I think the original name of the supercenter's was Meijer's Thrifty Acres .... or that is how I remember it.  Everyone I know from the olden days adds the "S" when they say the name...

Also, one of the originals was called Meijer's Thrift Super Market (see below).  I grew up just outside of Ionia (3rd Meijers store after Greenville and Cedar Springs...).  I've also seen that they used names such as Meijer's Super Market and Meijer's Thrift Market.
Media_Default_Images_40sCedarStore.JPG

Edited by Sparty97
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I would be in heaven if they put an Aldi in the city. Not even necessarily downtown but within a couple miles would be great.

There is one in the city, Celebration Village (technically in the city) :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, temporary.name said:

If it's a crime to pay respect and remember a man who grew a local business and gave back to the community and did so with as much class as the human condition allows for, then call me a criminal.

My statement was a bit tongue and cheek. I meant no disrespect. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, temporary.name said:

If it's a crime to pay respect and remember a man who grew a local business and gave back to the community and did so with as much class as the human condition allows for, then call me a criminal.

OMG temporary.name would you get over yourself? Are you this hypersensitive to people in real life or do you just reserve it for us? 

• Like 1