Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wmr

Johnson

16 posts in this topic

I decided to start this thread primarily because of a new new-urbanist development called Johnson Square.  if you follow the new section of Main Drive to where it hooks up with Johnson Mills Blvd, you'll see a new office building under construction, red brick with traditional architecture.  I recently learned that this project is planned to be much larger and form a sort of town center area for the city of Johnson.

Here's the only master plan information I've been able to find about it online:

f9adbb275ff31ab154bc7deaace15fcf_XL.jpg

The building under construction is the brown box at the SW corner (bottom left corner) of the main intersection shown on the master plan.

That area will develop quickly in the years to come and it is good to see that it will be planned and not haphazard. I do wonder if Johnson didn't miss an opportunity to be a bigger player in the area's development when it chose not to push for Main Street to be a major corridor from 49 to 71B and to extend Gregg in Fayetteville to Carley in Springdale. Johnson would have been the crossroads of the southern end of the NWA metro. But- I'm talking the past- let's focus on the future.

here are some pictures of the first building in the Johnson Square development.

johnson sq 1.jpg

johnson sq 2.jpg

johnson sq 3.jpg

6 hours ago, wmr said:

here are some pictures of the first building in the Johnson Square development.

johnson sq 1.jpg

johnson sq 2.jpg

johnson sq 3.jpg

The building is leased fully to Washington Regional. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, comreguy said:

The building is leased fully to Washington Regional. 

Thats great to hear.  Hopefully a good sign for the developer and they'll keep moving forward with the master plan.

Drove past this building again today.  The detail on it is more of what we need in this metro.  I'll try to get a pick next time I'm over there.

Here's a photo from today, showing the excellent detailing and thoughtful design on this new building.  If the entire development shapes up like this, it will be really cool.

johnson square 2.jpg

We passed this over weekend, I said it looked like and old school house from the early 20th century. 

Congrats for Johnson getting it's act together

On 6/29/2017 at 5:10 PM, wmr said:

New renderings of the next two buildings in Johnson Square:

https://www.highstreetred.com/projects

If those are built with the same detail of the medical building Johnson is going to be transformed. Hopefully in the future it will carry forward with redevelopment to 71B.

I believe some of the partners in the overall development are the same who worked on Hendrix Village in Conway.  That's a good-looking development if you've never seen it.

I hope this sets a new standard for NWA developers to strive towards.  There really is nothing like this in the region.  Trad developments and architecture age so much better than modernism.

5 hours ago, wmr said:

I believe some of the partners in the overall development are the same who worked on Hendrix Village in Conway.  That's a good-looking development if you've never seen it.

I hope this sets a new standard for NWA developers to strive towards.  There really is nothing like this in the region.  Trad developments and architecture age so much better than modernism.

I just spent three weeks in DC, Cape May, Williamsburg, Baltimore and Philly. Yeah, traditional ages better. Here'so new that mixes perfect with old in Williamsburg

20170617_171504.jpg

I would have liked to see the new development in Johnson to more closely match James at the Mill more. That style is already iconic of the location. 

This development is a great location with a great concept. I hope it holds on to it, especially considering how distant any other "downtown" is to the highway.

1 person likes this