Johnson

wmr

I decided to start this thread primarily because of a new new-urbanist development called Johnson Square.  if you follow the new section of Main Drive to where it hooks up with Johnson Mills Blvd, you'll see a new office building under construction, red brick with traditional architecture.  I recently learned that this project is planned to be much larger and form a sort of town center area for the city of Johnson.

Here's the only master plan information I've been able to find about it online:

f9adbb275ff31ab154bc7deaace15fcf_XL.jpg

The building under construction is the brown box at the SW corner (bottom left corner) of the main intersection shown on the master plan.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That area will develop quickly in the years to come and it is good to see that it will be planned and not haphazard. I do wonder if Johnson didn't miss an opportunity to be a bigger player in the area's development when it chose not to push for Main Street to be a major corridor from 49 to 71B and to extend Gregg in Fayetteville to Carley in Springdale. Johnson would have been the crossroads of the southern end of the NWA metro. But- I'm talking the past- let's focus on the future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

There's an article about Johnson Square taking shape in today's paper.  It looks like they plan to have a few  new buildings up out of the ground by August.  This is apparently being done by the same folks who worked on Hendrix Village in Conway.  Looks like it will be high-quality stuff:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/jun/11/city-building-instant-downtown-20170611/

• 3 weeks later...

I believe some of the partners in the overall development are the same who worked on Hendrix Village in Conway.  That's a good-looking development if you've never seen it.

I hope this sets a new standard for NWA developers to strive towards.  There really is nothing like this in the region.  Trad developments and architecture age so much better than modernism.

5 hours ago, wmr said:

I believe some of the partners in the overall development are the same who worked on Hendrix Village in Conway.  That's a good-looking development if you've never seen it.

I hope this sets a new standard for NWA developers to strive towards.  There really is nothing like this in the region.  Trad developments and architecture age so much better than modernism.

I just spent three weeks in DC, Cape May, Williamsburg, Baltimore and Philly. Yeah, traditional ages better. Here'so new that mixes perfect with old in Williamsburg

20170617_171504.jpg

I would have liked to see the new development in Johnson to more closely match James at the Mill more. That style is already iconic of the location. 

This development is a great location with a great concept. I hope it holds on to it, especially considering how distant any other "downtown" is to the highway.

Archived