Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

On 4/14/2017 at 5:52 AM, markhollin said:

1812 Hayes Street was built as a one-story home in 1920, and has served many clients over the years, including several eateries over the past few decades. The 1,920 sq. ft. structure is currently home to Jamaicaway Restaurant.

1812 Hayes St, Jamaicaway Restaurant, Feb 2017 X.JPG

This place is the real deal... their food is amazing.  Best ackee and saltfish I've ever had.  

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, WebberThomas4 said:

It was actually built in 1814 and was partially burned during the civil war before being rebuilt in the late 1860's. It was originally the home of Henry Rutledge.

I just love the fact that we have a host of talent on this board. Thanks for the update WT4!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

This is the one that made me think they were two totally different colors...

Understandable!

Mark's first photo is another angle view of this same courtyard area. Look specifically at the end face of that half wall at the top of the stairs--that portion catches the sun at the same angle as the wall behind it and gives a better representation of the contrast between the two materials.

• Like 1

Love this project (Geist)!     Regarding the brick, didn't I read somewhere before the project started that they were salvaging the bricks from the old two story house that stood on the site now occupied by the patio and were planning to use that brick in the new construction?     I might be making that up.        

Progress on the World Gym that will be opening very soon at 114 George L. Davis Blvd, which faces westward towards I-65/40 innerbelt on the west side of downtown. The 25,000 sq. ft., 2 story (in back) brick building was originally built in 1945 as warehousing for the Gulch rail yards.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/04/20/world-gym-open-may-gulch/100706440/

World Gym 1, 114 George L Davis Blvd, April 16, 2017.jpg

World Gym 2, 114 George L Davis Blvd, April 16, 2017.jpg

World Gym 3, 114 George L Davis Blvd, April 16, 2017.jpg

World Gym 4, 114 George L Davis Blvd, April 16, 2017.jpg

World Gym 5, 114 George L Davis Blvd, April 16, 2017.jpg

World Gym render, Gulch.png

• Like 4

The Wildhorse Saloon was an integral part of the revitalization of 2nd Ave. North. The three story warehouse structure at 120 2nd Ave. North that was originally built in the early 1920s (replacing a crumbling structure from the 1820s), had fallen into disuse, with the first floor primarily being a scrap shop.  Much of the facade was retained in the 1994 reconstruction into a 66,000 sq. ft, 2,400 capacity entertainment venue.  Hundreds of thousands of tourists and concert goers flow through the building annually.  It went through another $9 million dollar upgrade in 2016. 

Wildhorse Saloon 1.png

Wildhorse Saloon 1.jpg

Wildhorse Saloon 2.png

Wildhorse Saloon 4.png

Wildhorse Saloon 5.jpg

Wildhorse Saloon 6.jpg

Wildhorse Saloon 7.jpg

• Like 4

18 luxury lofts will be built on the third floor of 154 2nd Ave. North (first floor occupied by Dick's Last Resort), which was originally built as warehousing in 1900. The 12,780 sq. ft. space will be known as 154 Luxury Lofts.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20859705/dicks-last-resort-building-lands-apartments

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 7.58.39 AM.png

• Like 4

On 4/16/2017 at 8:08 AM, markhollin said:

As redevelopment continues in the Germantown/Buena Vista area, I hope that somehow this ol' gem at 803 Monroe Street (at the SW corner of intersection with 9th Ave. North) gets some attention.  I can't find specs on this 2-story brick edifice, but I'm guessing it was built in the late 1800s.

817 Monroe 1, April, 2017.jpg

When I was a teen, that was still a ReXall drugs we used to buy from, and back then Ninth Ave. extended straight across the northerly "presidential" streets, unbroken, all the way to North High School on Clay Street, and past Cass St. to the then-land fill and public boat launch slip at the river, before there was a Metro Center.  And as one can tell, other attached row bldgs. had been intact as well.  The Buena Vista city bus used to turn off Ninth at that corner and onto Monroe, as it headed to Shelby, back in the pre-MTA days.

• Like 4