markhollin

Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

The May Hosiery property would be nice if it was fixed up a little like Marathon...and I agree...keep the cool artisan vibe.  But...it appears the place could use a little sprucing up.

• Like 1

I will say I know what will happen at May Hosiery. It will be exciting, but I cannot share details at this time.  Unfortunately, I think some of those artist may be displaced at some point, but there could be a plan in the works for them as well. Nathan Hysmith is sensitive to their situation.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Going to disagree on redeveloping the May Hosiery there, Mark. I think she should sit just as she is, because inside is a unique mashup of artists and their workspaces. It's very Bohemian. That said, I do wish they'd clean up a bit on the downstairs as it's terribly frightening at night. 

Friends of mine who frequent the building claim there are strange, inexplicable sightings at night. They say the children who worked there in the past haven't left.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Friends of mine who frequent the building claim there are strange, inexplicable sightings at night. They say the children who worked there in the past haven't left.

I'm not going to say one way or the other, but yeah... it's been several years since I was downstairs there and it will be a lifetime before I go back.

• Like 1

I have several friends who have studio space there for art and music, and I have visited often.  The place is in need of much attention.  From what I can tell, the new ownership has plans for major revisions (why would the spend $6.5 million for it if they didn't want to improve the investment?). 

• Like 1

^^It's crazy how many incredible event spaces we now have in this city.  Plus...this city is great at turning places like a parking garage (BMI Awards) into an event space you'd never believe is a parking garage.  I think this is where we compete head to head with a lot of the big cities in the world (other than a few exceptions).

• Like 3

On 6/28/2016 at 0:01 PM, markhollin said:

The Bell Tower events center is a converted church that was originally built in 1874, and reopened as a multi-purpose events center in 2014. It stays quite busy hosting weddings/receptions, corporate events, parties, and showcases. It is on the SE corner of Korean Veteran's Blvd. and 4th Avenue South. Excellent example of repurposing a grand old structure.
Bell Tower Events Center 1, Feb 2016.jpg

That church originally had been built as sanctuary for my former family church which moved from it during the 1940's ─ Clark Memorial Methodist.  It has managed to defy the odds, indeed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rookzie said:

That church originally had been built as sanctuary for my former family church which moved from it during the 1940's ─ Clark Memorial Methodist.  It has managed to defy the odds, indeed.

Did that church ever have a high spire on its northern tower at the corner ? It looks truncated.

^^There would be very few treasures lost as valuable as the Ryman in this city.  So glad it didn't see the wrecking ball.  That would have been an epic disaster on the city's part.

• Like 4

On 6/30/2016 at 11:21 AM, fieldmarshaldj said:

Did that church ever have a high spire on its northern tower at the corner ? It looks truncated.

Davy, I had a server power supply "go south" a couple of days ago, so I couldn't research my ready-references and get back to you sooner.  Now that Mark has posted a recent pic on the "CBD/SoBro/...." thread. I can see clearly that the south tower highly unlikely was ever "truncated", in consideration of the detail and matching masonry color hues.

Clark_Missionary_short-tower.JPG

3 hours ago, rookzie said:

Davy, I had a server power supply "go south" a couple of days ago, so I couldn't research my ready-references and get back to you sooner.  Now that Mark has posted a recent pic on the "CBD/SoBro/...." thread. I can see clearly that the south tower highly unlikely was ever "truncated", in consideration of the detail and matching masonry color hues.

Clark_Missionary_short-tower.JPG

No, no, not the southern tower. That obviously hasn't been changed. It's the northern tower with the oddly "flat" top is where there would've been a high spire, if there ever was one. That's what I was wondering about. I know some churches with really high spired towers would have to remove them sometimes (or would be removed thanks to a storm) because of the enormous weight. The same reason many courthouses would have their central towers removed. Presumably, if there had been a spire, it would've existed pre-1960s or 1950s, if there's a photo to be located of the church before that era to confirm it.

• Like 1

The 103-year-old Banner Building at 162 Third Avenue North has had a diverse career. Built in 1913, it was originally the home for Standard Furniture and Southern Door & Glass. From 1920-38 it became the home of The Nashville Banner daily newspaper.  When the publication relocated, the structure once again became a furniture retailer, but now named Banner Furniture. It eventually became a warehouse.  In 1984 Barge Waggoner, Sumner, and Cannon purchased and renovated the building to become their corporate headquarters, and it served as an office building for three decades until in 2014, when it was once again redeveloped. This time into high-end loft apartments, and is now known as Banner Lofts.

Banner Lofts, July, 2016.JPG

• Like 4

A few years ago there were some homeless that had set up on the roof of the Banner building. They could cross over onto it from the parking garage next door. They eventually got caught because there was so much trash left on the roof but for a while they were living the dream, oblivious that people in the surrounding office buildings could see them. 

• Like 2

For many years, during the a greater part of the 1970s, local AM radio (WKDA, etc.) would play the jingle to "drum" up customers for that place:

"Mr. TransMISsion,
  Will put in ConDITtion,
  The Worse Transmission in Town!...."

Before the franchise, and at least during the mid-late'60s,  it was simply "Sadler Transmission".

• Like 3