Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

20 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

^What happened to the sign ?

Sometimes between 2009 and 2012 it went bye bye. That's all I can tell from Street View.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1608941,-86.7833593,3a,75y,255.09h,94.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1se2bDoALABuOZm_fYDOVS0w!2e0!5s20090601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The small warehouse space spotlighted on this thread on May 16, 2017 for possible redevelopment has now been purchased, apparently for just such a reason.  It is on the percolating corner of Merritt and Martin Streets in WeHo. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/25/wedgewood-houston-sites-near-corsair-distillery-sold-2-26-m/894870001/

1300 Martin, Nov 25, 2017.png

• Like 1

With an address of 2949 Nolensville Pike, the 1920-opened building that was once a public school and the 1.83 acres on which it sits are listed for $3.6 million. The three-story (it looks to be two from the street) is zoned to accommodate office use and offers 30,400 square feet, with 14,000 square feet finished and leased for religious use. This locale is along the Nolensville Rd. corridor route for one of the Light Rail spokes.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20983944/historic-south-side-building-for-sale-for-36m

2949 Nolensville Pike.png

• Like 2

The one time Meridian Street Methodist and Ray of Hope Church at 901 Meridian in Cleveland Park is supposedly going to be part of a mixed-use redevelopment eventually.  Will be interesting to see how this 40,536 sq. ft. structure, built in 1936, is incorporated into the final plans, and what it's re-uses serve.

Meridian St Baptist 1, Aug, 2017.jpg

Meridian St Baptist 2, Aug, 2017.jpg

Meridian St Baptist 3, Aug, 2017.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CenterHill said:

It's next door to Rock Bottom - between Rock Bottom and Acme.    It's actually called The National Underground.    Started by Gavin Degraw.   

Doh. National vs. Nashville. That'll get confusing.

If this goes through, I wonder if National will try to press any sort of trademark infringement. Kinda weird to open up a music venue and bar called Nashville Underground next to a pre-existing music venue and bar called the National Underground...

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 1

The building at 819-821 Meridian (at SE corner of Wilburn) has 5,000 sq. ft. and was built in two phases: 1931 and 1960.  I took these photos a few months ago when it was being retrofitted.  I believe it's going to be an eatery/bar of some sort. Perhaps someone who lives over that way can give the most current update.  

1819 1821 Meridian 1, Aug, 2017 x.jpg

1819 1821 Meridian 2, Aug, 2017 x.jpg

• Like 1

521 5th Ave. South (which has been featured in this thread on Feb. 10, 2017), was just sold by Aerial Development to the Hard 8 Working Group, a Nashville-based music artists management company>

Originally built in 1859, it is the only old structure remaining on the block that will be surrounded by The Olmstead Apartments, Hyatt House SoBro, and Sixth Ave. South Apartments. The new owners plan on maintaining the historical charm of this gem.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20984904/historic-sobro-building-sells-to-music-business

521 5th Ave. South.png

• Like 3

On 11/28/2017 at 5:00 AM, markhollin said:

With an address of 2949 Nolensville Pike, the 1920-opened building that was once a public school and the 1.83 acres on which it sits are listed for $3.6 million. The three-story (it looks to be two from the street) is zoned to accommodate office use and offers 30,400 square feet, with 14,000 square feet finished and leased for religious use. This locale is along the Nolensville Rd. corridor route for one of the Light Rail spokes.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20983944/historic-south-side-building-for-sale-for-36m

2949 Nolensville Pike.png

I was in the last class to graduate from this school, then known as Cole Annex. It was a 3rd & 4th grade school. When my 3rd grade class moved to 4th, they didn’t bring in another 3rd grade class. I watched the Challenger shuttle explode on live tv while in class at this school. I stood outside in sub freezing temperatures during a bomb threat, while the janitor went inside to get our coats. I saw plaster falling from the ceiling in classrooms. 

It was shuttered for several years after that. It came back to life as something a few years later with all new windows and I assume a massive renovation. 

• Like 2

Not only is this one of my fave rehab projects, I think it's going to be a hoppin' place with the big band in the basement.  The one time Woolworths at 221 5th AVe. North was built in 1930, and was a 3 story department store.  It was a Dollar General until a few years ago, and now is being repurposed for one of Tom Morales' themed restaurants.

Woolworth on 5th is was the site of key moments in the civil rights battle in Nashville.  The remodeling includes its historically significant lunch counter and the concrete slabs on the floor where store racks and shelving once sat.  Morales has shown a keen interest in historic preservation with several of his projects, earning recognition for his work restoring the Acme building.

Like Acme, Woolworth will feature a slightly different vibe on each of its levels. The mezzanine, once home to the segregated "colored" lunch counter, will offer a lounge-like bar experience. The main floor is the primary restaurant space, with a menu described by Morales as a "culinary exploration of the roots of Southern cuisine." And the basement, which can be rented for events, will feature a wide variety of live music, including a 16-piece big-band orchestra that will serve as the house band.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/12/14/sneak-peek-what-to-expect-from-tom-morales-new.html

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 1.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 2.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 3.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 4.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 5.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 6.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 7.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 8.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 9.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 10.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 12.png

Woolworth on 5th, Dec 14, 2017 13.png