Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Looks like some large windows/doors were replaced with those small windows and that industrial metal door. For the whole building to look in proportion, the ground level should have same size windows at the second floor. 

Hasn’t always been the best area, the bottom of the windows were probably bricked up to deter break-ins. I’m almost positive if anyone decides to rehab this beauty they’ll reopen the windows to their full size. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The 1 story brick storefront at 2317 12th Ave. South has housed many businesses since it's construction in 1930.  In the past 15 years they have been various eateries. The 2,400 sq. ft. space is currently home to Taqueria del Sol.

2317 12th Ave. South, Taqeria del Sol, March, 2018, 1.jpg

2317 12th Ave. South, Taqeria del Sol, March, 2018, 2.jpg

2317 12th Ave. South, Taqeria del Sol, March, 2018, 3.jpg

The interior, large picture, is not the 12 South location. Maybe the Charlotte one.

The onetime home of 1920-era Turner Elementary School at 2949 Nolensville Rd. (3 stories, 30,400 sq. ft. on 1.83 acres) has been bought for $3.6 million to an unidentified buyer.  It had been home to a church for the past several years.  The property is zone for Class C office space.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21002618/south-nashvilles-historic-turner-school-building-sold

2949 Nolensville Rd, Turner School, 1 x.png

2949 Nolensville Rd, Turner School, 2 x.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I don't think that area of North Nashville is the best location for a coffee shop.

This is a third of a mile from Slim & Huskies, Nisolo, and the epicenter of the "Buchanan Arts District."  I think it's a perfect place for a coffee shop!  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Bezoar said:

This is a third of a mile from Slim & Huskies, Nisolo, and the epicenter of the "Buchanan Arts District."  I think it's a perfect place for a coffee shop!  

Right. 1/3 of a mile. I think it should be IN the epicenter of this "Arts District." I think there should be a dense area of attractive places to go before they start spreading out. Create a haven for visitors, and don't make them have to walk. 

This "Arts District" monicker is ingenious marketing by the way. Call it something it's not, in order to get the ball rolling with its notoriety and "up-and-coming-ness"

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

This "Arts District" monicker is ingenious marketing by the way. Call it something it's not, in order to get the ball rolling with its notoriety and "up-and-coming-ness"

Bingo. 

132 2nd Ave. North, which was built in 1900 and covers 20,000 sq. ft. over 3 stories along 2nd and 4 stories along 1st Ave., has served many purposes in it's 118 years.  Built primarily for warehousing in its original intent, it has been a home to Nashville Cowboy boot retailer of late.  However, developmental guru Bill Miller yesterday purchased it for $7 million, and has undisclosed plans for a presence via a restaurant or club or museum along 2nd Ave. North.  

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/07/exclusive-ambitious-downtown-property-owner.html

132 2nd Ave North, May 8, 2018, 1.png

132 2nd Ave North, May 8, 2018, 2.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Walking is good. Street activation is good.

Walking is good, I agree, but nobody going to Nisolo or Holiday Salon is going to be walking a third of a mile in that part of North Nashville. Create a true "epicenter" first, and let the street activation spread from there. 

Edited by NashvilleObserver