Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

Honestly, it made no sense at the time.    I remember watching the construction of the restaurant, which took a very long time and seemed to stop and start a lot as the builders tried to figure out what to do with the cinder block shell they were building around.    I'm pretty sure they made it up as they went and way over spent, but it eventually evolved into the current Urban Grub layout.      

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

That walk-in clinic is very interesting inside. They kept all brick walls and older surfaces uncovered. It feels like a doctors office in a less-glamorous Victorian-era London, but it's still pretty cool.  It made me feel like I was dying of cholera or Spanish Flu instead of just the regular flu.

We prescribe a good regimen of bloodletting, and then ye should be cured of your comsumption. Visa or Amex? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Originally built in 1935, the one story, light industrial shop at 900 Main St. in East Nashville was the longtime home of Capital City/Fluffo Mattress.  It is now being converted into a 3 story office building.

Looking  SE from intersection of Main St. and 9th St:

900 Main St, Aug 11, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking south across Main St. from just east of 9th St:

900 Main St, Aug 11, 2018, 2.jpg

Looking north along South 9th St., 1/2 block south of Main St:

900 Main St, Aug 11, 2018, 3.jpg

What it looked like in 1964:

900 Main, East Nashville, 1964.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The 3 story limestone brick Baggage Building that was once part of the Union Station complex at 111 10th Ave. South has being refurbished for office/retail space.  Originally built in 1900.

111 10th Ave South, Baggage Building, June 16, 2018.jpg

Zach Lief is VERY motivated to finally get this project done with. The goal was to rotate the main entrance for the bank to the east side of the building and create a new patio for the north side. The canopy is also getting all new lighting that should really accent the building well. I was on site yesterday and the new handrails were being installed. New storefront windows should be installed this week or next. The biggest piece that we are waiting on is the new glass canopy that will be going over the "new" main entry for the Pinnacle Bank.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Zach Lief is VERY motivated to finally get this project done with. The goal was to rotate the main entrance for the bank to the east side of the building and create a new patio for the north side. The canopy is also getting all new lighting that should really accent the building well. I was on site yesterday and the new handrails were being installed. New storefront windows should be installed this week or next. The biggest piece that we are waiting on is the new glass canopy that will be going over the "new" main entry for the Pinnacle Bank.

I run by this building about 3-4 times a week and it seems to be taking FOREVER to get this done!  There was much attention given to fixing various spots using materials that match the stone and the historical aspects of the building.  Kudos to Liff for preserving this building!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

I run by this building about 3-4 times a week and it seems to be taking FOREVER to get this done!  There was much attention given to fixing various spots using materials that match the stone and the historical aspects of the building.  Kudos to Liff for preserving this building!

It has been. Drawings that came across my desk were first issued as far back as 2014. The project is finally in the final push to get done, but the building overall is almost a constant project. The glass for the canopy and the new metal gutters are already on order, so those should be last pieces that will be coming in soon.

Eventually new signage should come into play facing Demonbruen viaduct as well, but that is another animal separate from this one.

The former Tuner School at 2949 Nolensville Road in the Woodbine neighborhood is going through a major remodel of it's 3 story, 30,400 ft. space (3 stories in back, 2 in front).  Built in 1920, the entire lot covers 1.83 acres.  Collier Engineering paid $3.5 million for the property in April, and is sinking $2.4 million into the renovation.  They plan on relocating their entire company there upon completion.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21020528/historic-turner-school-building-set-for-24m-upgrade

2949 Nolensville Rd, Aug 31, 2018.png

• Like 2

On 8/30/2018 at 3:46 PM, CenterHill said:

Is Flying Saucer still operating in this building or did it close during (or due to) the renovation project?    I confess I haven't been to FS in years.     So many other taprooms in town now.   ;) 

Still there and still functioning. Many of my co-workers frequent it for lunch lol