markhollin

Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

1907 Eastland Ave. is a one story structure built in 1940.  It covers 3,655 sq. ft. and is currently home of Rose Pepper Cantina.

1907 Eastland Ave, Rose Pepper Cantina, 1.jpg

1907 Eastland Ave, Rose Pepper Cantina, 2.jpg

1907 Eastland Ave, Rose Pepper Cantina, 3.jpg

1907 Eastland Ave, Rose Pepper Cantina, 4.jpg

1907 Eastland Ave, Rose Pepper Cantina, 5.jpg

• Like 2

It's easy to walk right past their main entrance. Missed it each of the three times I've been there. Food is good, but the building does need some TLC. Even the (cliche) what I like to call "Mexclectic" decor needs sprucing up. Any idea on what the building's original purpose was? A grocery perhaps? Even though that's a weird place for a grocery, they did tend to be more prevalent at residential street corners. 

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

It's easy to walk right past their main entrance. Missed it each of the three times I've been there. Food is good, but the building does need some TLC. Even the (cliche) what I like to call "Mexclectic" decor needs sprucing up. Any idea on what the building's original purpose was? A grocery perhaps? Even though that's a weird place for a grocery, they did tend to be more prevalent at residential street corners. 

It was a weird diner that had bands play at night before it became Rosepepper in the early 2000's.  I remember going to see a band there and being one of like 4 people in the audience.

• Like 2

I have seen a couple of things  that surprised me in Boston . I dont have a problem with reuses of buildings but a couple surprised me here, both of which are on the Freedom Trail. One is the Old Corner Bookstroe which is now a Chipotle Grill, and the other is the Old City Hall which is now a Ruth Chris Steak House. Sort of like turning the Rhyman into a Starbucks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Sort of like turning the Ryman into a Starbucks.

In Boston it would be a Dunkin' Donuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Your right, they are eveywhere. However I actually like DD better than Starcraps.

I call them Charbucks.  My family is not allowed to enter the doors of the Charbucks in The Gulch, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I have seen a couple of things  that surprised me in Boston . I dont have a problem with reuses of buildings but a couple surprised me here, both of which are on the Freedom Trail. One is the Old Corner Bookstroe which is now a Chipotle Grill, and the other is the Old City Hall which is now a Ruth Chris Steak House. Sort of like turning the Rhyman into a Starbucks.

If you were walking in the area, you most likely walked right past my office then. Directly adjacent to the Old State House, which in another form of reuse now houses an MBTA train stop in the ground floor/basement. The old corner bookstore was one of the first big successes of the Historic Boston Inc. They actually were founded originally for the intent of saving this building. For many years this was their offices until they moved to the Roxbury area. it's definitely a staple building and I loved walking through that pocket of the city where tall and short all work together. I have never actually been in the old city hall, but unfortunately with land value so high and needing to lease space, those high end restaurants really are the only ones that can swing them for extended periods of time. Plus, there are only so museums that a city can hold. If every historic building like this was fully museum use, they would literally be in every other building lol. 

3 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

In Boston it would be a Dunkin' Donuts.

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Your right, they are eveywhere. However I actually like DD better than Starcraps.

They have officially rebranded as simply Dunkin now, such a staple to the bostonian diet haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

They have officially rebranded as simply Dunkin now,

They just opened another one here in Smyrna a few weeks ago.  Just after they built the new building...complete with a huge Dunkin' Donuts sign and DD on the doors...the company announces they're changing to just Dunkin'.  I'm sure the new franchise owner here was rolling his / her eyes.

• Like 2

My feet are crying after walking many miles here and taking the subway for three days.

It took a little getting use to it but after a couple of rides its pretty easy. Best walk was through Beacon Hill and Back Bay. Did the student lead tour at Harvard as well.

Seeing my family connections here with the Adams family, John, John Quincy, and Samuel, and the Widener family, Widener library.

Lots of great architecture here, but a lot of failures too.

I was also able to visit Buffalo too. Another great American city.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

My feet are crying after walking many miles here and taking the subway for three days.

It took a little getting use to it but after a couple of rides its pretty easy. Best walk was through Beacon Hill and Back Bay. Did the student lead tour at Harvard as well.

Seeing my family connections here with the Adams family, John, John Quincy, and Samuel, and the Widener family, Widener library.

Lots of great architecture here, but a lot of failures too.

I was also able to visit Buffalo too. Another great American city.

I've been to Boston a couple of times. I rode the Green Line out to Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox play with one of my daughters. And on another trip with another daughter who is an expert in children's literature, we went to the Public Gardens to see the bronzed statue of the subjects of the 1941 book,  'Make Way for the Ducklings'.

Boston is a great city and I have always thought that of all the older, larger cities, Nashville might be closer to Boston in many aspects.

• Like 3

421 Broadway is part of the Toby Carr Bldg., which was originally erected in 1855 and modified in 1900. It covers 3 stories and 9,000 sq. ft., and currently houses AJ's Goodtime Bar.

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 1.png

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 2.png

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 3.jpg

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 4.jpg

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 5.jpg

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 6.jpg

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 7.jpg

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 8.jpg

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 9.jpg

421 Broadway, AJs Good Time Bar, Toby Carr Bldg, 1855, 10.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/27/2018 at 8:31 AM, MLBrumby said:

Any idea on what the building's original purpose was? A grocery perhaps?

On 10/27/2018 at 8:35 AM, japan said:

It was a weird diner that had bands play at night before it became Rosepepper in the early 2000's.

Joe's Diner. I'll never forget the photo of Al Gore looking at the damage to the diner in 1998. I have no idea who the original occupant was, but in the early 90s there was a dry cleaner (possibly McPherson?) in that block, I believe in that building.

Joe's Diner.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The building where the Rosepepper is was once a drugstore eons ago where I bought DC comics for a dime apiece. Yeah, I'm that ancient.

DC comics > Marvel!!

90’s X-Men show is the greatest cartoon of all time. 

Edited by wreynol4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The building where the Rosepepper is was once a drugstore eons ago where I bought DC comics for a dime apiece. Yeah, I'm that ancient.

DC comics > Marvel!!

I don't even know you...

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 6:20 AM, markhollin said:

The Houston St. section of the May Hosiery Mill rehab is nearing completion.  The large mill complex was started in 1907, with various structures added over the next several decades.  I believe this one was built around 1915. 

Looking SW from interior courtyard of May Hosiery complex:

May Hosiery, Houston Bldg, Oct 27, 2018, 5.jpg

I can really appreciate the elevator tower addition that's separate from the historic facade. Obviously, some type of cladding would have been good rather than only CMU. 

• Like 1