Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

601 9th Ave. South in The Gulch is a 1 story structure that was built in 1973.  It covers 3,500 sq. ft. and is currently home to Uncommon James Jewelry.

I haven't been there yet but, when I've stopped tourists to ask if they need help from a local, many have said "How do I get to Uncommon James?"  It must be on the bachelorette party tour for ladies with a little extra dough.

Thanks Mark for your regular posts on historical buildings. I wasn't aware of many of them.

Just curious where you get information on years when they were built? Because that building (and several posted in the past) look a lot older than what your source is saying. Reason I'm asking, I have a house in Hamilton County that we thought was built post-war. It's what the tax rolls say. But then I did a property search and found the original deed, which is 1930. Interesting thing though is that all the houses on our little street were sold piecemeal over decades from a family's estate; i.e. not a typical postwar subdivision. The only thing I can guess about our house is that some records might have been consolidated (and/or) put on some early electronic medium and possibly the result of a decision to put any property older than a particular date (like 1947 in our case) as a default when the exact date was not known. Just wondering.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 9:07 AM, MLBrumby said:

Thanks Mark for your regular posts on historical buildings. I wasn't aware of many of them.

Just curious where you get information on years when they were built? Because that building (and several posted in the past) look a lot older than what your source is saying. Reason I'm asking, I have a house in Hamilton County that we thought was built post-war. It's what the tax rolls say. But then I did a property search and found the original deed, which is 1930. Interesting thing though is that all the houses on our little street were sold piecemeal over decades from a family's estate; i.e. not a typical postwar subdivision. The only thing I can guess about our house is that some records might have been consolidated (and/or) put on some early electronic medium and possibly the result of a decision to put any property older than a particular date (like 1947 in our case) as a default when the exact date was not known. Just wondering.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:37 AM, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ I get the info from various listings. I was surprised that this one was shown as 1940.  But they very well may have wanted to design something that fit in with other structures surrounding it that were built in the late 1800s/early 1900s.  

Many real estate listings as well as county appraisal sites have wildly inaccurate information (and continue to share that inaccurate information). 

Do either of you have access to old city directories or Sanborn Maps? Those will give a much better estimate. 

I've worked in / with historic preservation for a large portion of my career. If you want to send a few photos of the house or send me the address in a message, I can give you a decent guess based on materials, style, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2019 at 6:08 AM, markhollin said:

Update on the Tobacco Barn/Warehouse (circa 1865) at 610 21st Ave. North: It should be opening with34 condos, and an additional new structure yielding 12 more condos by late summer.  Dowdle Construction is the contractor, and Quirk Designs handled architecture. It will be called The 1865.

Developer Richard Bacon of Cottage Partners said he understands that the former tobacco barn is the oldest non-repurposed commercial structure in Nashville.

“When you walk through the building and look at the wood, it’s like walking through a national park,” he said.

More at the Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/residential-real-estate/article/21047381/summer-finish-eyed-for-warehouse-project

Tobacco Barn 1865, Feb 15, 2019.png

There's still some debate as to whether or not it was actually built in 1865. 

And it's not quite "national park" level, but it's still pretty cool inside. 

• Like 4