Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

The pie-piece shaped property at Palmer Place, where it comes to a point with Lea Ave. intersection with 10th Avenue South, is the home of a 1940-era, uniquely shaped structure that has housed many different businesses over the past 76 years. Originally intended for RR and warehousing business due to just being 50 yards east of the Gulch, it has hosted numerous offices, eateries, retailers, and even a strip club, over the years. Several years ago, the building had a major overhaul, and It's primary tenant currently is Salsa Puerto Rican and Latin Cuisine.  Since it is situated right at the base of where the eastern side of the proposed Gulch Pedestrian Bridge will terminate, it will become a very busy property some someday. 

Looking SE from the intersection of 10th Avenue South, with Lea Avenue on the left, and Palmer Place on the right:

818 Palmer Place 1, Aug.JPG

Looking south along Lea Avenue:

818 Palmer Place 2, Aug.JPG

Looking east along Palmer Place:

818 Palmer Place 3, Aug.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

One of the best repurposing jobs in Nashville's history was the saving of Union Station........Eventually, Metro Government acquired in in 1985, and leased it to developers who renovated it into the sparkling hotel it is today.

Wait, are you telling me that Metro owns Union Station? I always assumed it was owned by the hotel brand? If this is the case, what are the details of the lease? If it is, in fact, owned by metro, there is a small chance that it could return as a rail terminal some day. I get that CSX owns the tracks, so that would be a huge hurdle, but if metro owns the building, that's one step in the right direction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvillwill said:

Wait, are you telling me that Metro owns Union Station? I always assumed it was owned by the hotel brand? If this is the case, what are the details of the lease? If it is, in fact, owned by metro, there is a small chance that it could return as a rail terminal some day. I get that CSX owns the tracks, so that would be a huge hurdle, but if metro owns the building, that's one step in the right direction. 

This from Nashville.gov website:  "Union Station was acquired from the railroad by the Federal Government and subsequently transferred to the ownership of the Metro Government and leased for redevelopment as a hotel. Designated 7/24/1999; Ordinance No. 099-1698"

Just wanted to mention, even though it's in Franklin, that the "Wilson" home on Clovercroft right off of Wilson Pike burned to the ground last night.  Owners were trying to rehab it and use for something related to music.  Home was built in 1861 and was beautiful.  Will definitely be missed by people in the area.

http://wkrn.com/2016/08/30/historic-home-catches-fire-tuesday-morning/

636081404891859194-Wilson-home.PNG

Joseph_Wilson_House.JPG

JosephWilsonhome_1472554083284_45450072_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite reclamation projects: the Civil War-era tobacco warehouse along the CSX tracks on 21st Avenue, just a few blocks north of Charlotte Avenue. Built in 1865, the 4-story, 28,800 sq. ft brick masterpiece once served as a tobacco warehouse for at least 90 years, and in the late 50s converted to storage facility for a printer/lithographer. Cottage Partners recently paid $2.2 million to Kimbro Equities (part of the Kimbro Oil family).  The developers want to convert the empty 151-year-old structure into either condos or office space on it's  nearly 1-acre lot.

Immediately to the east the 615 Spruce apartment project is planned for 289 units.  Within two blocks to the south are The Sheds and Aspire complexes.  There are several huge vacant lots in the neighborhood, which is ripe for further development as the Charlotte Avenue corridor gets hotter and hotter.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/08/18/condos-office-space-eyed-civil-war-era-tobacco-warehouse/88967552/

I used to work as a mechanical draftsman at that building back in 1977, when Cutter's Machine Co. and Cutter's Exchange started to use that structure, either by owning or leasing.  Cutter's sold specialized supplies and machinery for the garment-manufacturing industry, and the Machine Co. built equipment for handling and shearing fabric from large rolls.  That building has seen all kinds of businesses in the past, and when we ("Cutters'")had it, there had been a bakery there at some distant time in the past, and we found petrified cookies on large sheets in a gigantic brick oven.  It had been an annex for the main buildings (one of which currently is shown as Cliff's Cabinets and one used to be Second Harvest) on nearby Warner St. at that time.

The building always has been creepy, but even back then, at least its presence had been appreciated by few like me. -==-

Civil War-era tobacco warehouse_diag.jpg

• Like 4

Speaking of classic old mansions, it was just announced today that historic Belair Mansion In Donelson was purchased for $1.55 million and will be restored/converted into an event center for weddings, corporate events, etc.  The new owners plan to spend an additional $1.5 million on the process, including restoration of the 2,500 sq. ft. rose garden, and constructing a new 8,000 square foot carriage house that could seat 400 as part of the nearly 5-acre property. So wonderful to see this circa-1838 wonder and it's 5-acre site revitalized to be enjoyed by many.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/homes/2016/08/31/events-center-planned-historic-belair-mansion-property/89653214/

Belair.jpg

• Like 3

This should be great news for the long term survival of this once grand old gal of Donelson! While her owners of the last few years have done great work to maintain the structure (I think the photo posted above is prior to their ownership), she needs the TLC that only folks with pretty deep pockets can provide.

The photos I've posted are more current than the one that ran with the story in today's announcement, I believe.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

They're still capable of still building them like that, or at least close to that, they're just generally too cheap to build them like that anymore. 

Yeah I guess it was more, "I wish they would build them like that, instead of stucco looking buildings with tiny balconies." 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah I guess it was more, "I wish they would build them like that, instead of stucco looking buildings with tiny balconies." 

Yeah, you and me both.  Maybe in twenty years when that stucco begins to crack and they start to realize that their cheap ass buildings have a shorter shelf life than a can of baked beans, developers will learn their lesson and go back to making buildings the right way.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Yeah, you and me both.  Maybe in twenty years when that stucco begins to crack and they start to realize that their cheap ass buildings have a shorter shelf life than a can of baked beans, developers will learn their lesson and go back to making buildings the right way.  

That would actually depend on developers intending to retain a development for longer than 5 or so years before they flip it. They don't care. Whatever can be built the quickest, cheapest is the game. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, arkitekte said:

That would actually depend on developers intending to retain a development for longer than 5 or so years before they flip it. They don't care. Whatever can be built the quickest, cheapest is the game. 

And maybe this is too big government-y but is there something that codes can do about that? I look at germantown and a lot of their new development that is going up is brick, is that a neighborhood thing?

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

And maybe this is too big government-y but is there something that codes can do about that? I look at germantown and a lot of their new development that is going up is brick, is that a neighborhood thing?

It would be difficult to enforce building material choices through codes unless it pertained to safety.

Germantown has a historic overlay, but it's important to note that simply using brick doesn't guarantee quality or longevity of the overall structure.

Ultimately, the burden is on the groups and individuals who buy properties from developers and their contractors to demand higher-quality buildings. Our economic climate prioritizes short-term profits over long-term stability, so it's not surprising to see property management and real estate holding firms favor cheap construction with a relatively short design life. But anyone who buys a house or enters into a condominium association should make a point of emphasizing build quality, regardless of the finishing materials. Builders and developers will get the message sooner or later.