Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

And maybe this is too big government-y but is there something that codes can do about that? I look at germantown and a lot of their new development that is going up is brick, is that a neighborhood thing?

It's a cost thing, is it not? Many of those homes in G'town are also $400k+ and appeal to a market who expect that caliber of finishes. I agree with the appeal of brick vs. any other type of siding, but I think more than anything else, it just costs too much to be used in many of these other markets. Enforcing it somehow would improve the aesthetics of a structure, but the cost of that structure would go up accordingly and surely the end purchaser (or renter, etc.) would ultimately be the one footing the bill.

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

And maybe this is too big government-y but is there something that codes can do about that? I look at germantown and a lot of their new development that is going up is brick, is that a neighborhood thing?

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

It would be difficult to enforce building material choices through codes unless it pertained to safety.

Germantown has a historic overlay, but it's important to note that simply using brick doesn't guarantee quality or longevity of the overall structure.

Ultimately, the burden is on the groups and individuals who buy properties from developers and their contractors to demand higher-quality buildings. Our economic climate prioritizes short-term profits over long-term stability, so it's not surprising to see property management and real estate holding firms favor cheap construction with a relatively short design life. But anyone who buys a house or enters into a condominium association should make a point of emphasizing build quality, regardless of the finishing materials. Builders and developers will get the message sooner or later.

A zoning overlay would need to be in place, but many cities have overlays that dictate which materials can be used; both historic zoning overlays and urban design overlays. It wouldn't have anything to do necessarily with safety; especially if we're only talking about facade elements. 

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

... But anyone who buys a house or enters into a condominium association should make a point of emphasizing build quality, regardless of the finishing materials. Builders and developers will get the message sooner or later.

Having lived in both wood and concrete multi-family, it amazes me people don't insist on concrete, but surprisingly few are built.  I'll pay not to know when the neighbors are having sex, or hear the lonely barking dog two floors down, and apartment shopping is a depressingly monotonous affair due to the uniformity of product.  Just as with the forms of housing, the market doesn't seem to offer the variety that it could.  In most smaller cities, your choices are a truly nasty apartment, or a single family frame house on a cul-de-sac with a lawn to mow.  Nashville's getting better, but I'm amazed at the lack of variety, and I don't think it reflects everybody wanting the same thing.  I don't think builders are going to get any message from anybody, because they can sell their uniform, unimaginative product to a passive public who have few alternatives, easier than they can make something interesting or good.

• Like 2

174 Third Avenue North.  Built in 1929, and has primarily been a music club during it's history, featuring R&B, jazz, country, and rock under various monikers and management.  Currently home to Piranha's Sports Bar and Entertainment Venue. There is office space upstairs as well in this 8,100 sq. ft. structure.

Pirhanas 1, July, 2016.JPG

• Like 2

On 9/5/2016 at 6:45 PM, markhollin said:

509 Third Avenue South was originally built in 1880, and has had several additions made over the past 136 years. Currently, the apartment on the second story is having an observation deck put on the roof.
509_Third_Ave._South_3,_Aug.JPG

Looks as if that classic foundation could stand some pressure-grouting followed with pressure-pointing, to infill those large voids, to structurally strengthen, and to prevent future water and vermin ingress.

The blanked-up basement opening might be OK, but that ghost definitely could stand a fashion update for sure.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370The Lane Motor Museum is housed in the former bakery building that was home to Sunbeam Bread Company for many years. A classic mid-century industrial building given a second life. The museum is well worth a visit!

From their website:

"The Museum has been developed in a well-known Nashville landmark, the former Sunbeam Bakery at 702 Murfreesboro Pike. Home to the bread company beginning in 1951, the 132,000 square-foot facility was the largest and most modern bakery in the area at the time of its opening. The bakery building, outfitted for the museum’s needs but left with many of its original characteristics, has a high ceiling, natural light, and hand-crafted brick and maple wood flooring. The architectural style complements the age of the cars represented. The main floor has approximately 40,000 square feet of open space, ideal for displaying the collection."

(Sunbeam plant tour photos from the Tennessean)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yup, that looks familiar. I did this tour as an elementary school student in the early '80s. Aside from that, frequently stopped at their little store on Arlington adjacent to it.

On 9/10/2016 at 2:44 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370The Lane Motor Museum is housed in the former bakery building that was home to Sunbeam Bread Company

image.jpeg

seeing this reminds me of the old Krispy Kreme on Gallatin Rd (across from the Walmart grocery store that recently closed) that I went to damn near everymorning as a kid.
Does anyone have any photos of it from it's hay-day?

On September 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM, bhibbs said:

seeing this reminds me of the old Krispy Kreme on Gallatin Rd (across from the Walmart grocery store that recently closed) that I went to damn near everymorning as a kid.
Does anyone have any photos of it from it's hay-day?

Here is a photo of that old K. K. on Gallatin. I found it on Pinterest, but it is from one of the Tennessean photo flashback features. I'm unsure of the date.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/10/2016 at 5:53 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

221 Fifth Ave. N. Last home to a Dollar General store, now under renovation by Fresh Hospitality for a yet unnamed brand from their collection of restaurant concepts. As I walked by I noticed the mezzanine that has been revealed. It appears to be original to the building (or at least very old). It is hard to see in these photos taken through very dirty Windows, but the mezzanine appears to run the full length of the room. Does anyone know what was in this building "back in the day?"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's exciting to see history being uncovered. That was the former Woolworths.. 

http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#!/ll/36.163958,-86.780686/id/65954/info/details/zoom/20/

• Like 1