Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

The owners of the Morris Building (circa 1924), which is home to the National Baptist Convention, are considering adding up to ten stories on top as possible hotel space.  IF it were done in the same Classical Revival style as the rest of the building, I could possibly see it working.  No renderings have been revealed yet. Remember, the American Trust Bank building was originally a 4-story colossal classic structure, and later had 10 stories added to it (now the Indigo Hotel). Most people love how that turned out.  This is a topic ready for abundant discussion.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/10/09/hotel-idea-lands-african-american-denominations-historic-building-endangered-list/91734060/

First, thanks for sharing those historic photos. 

A rooftop addition wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing here; however, proportionally it should be 40 to 50 percent of the historic structure's height, feature setbacks from the wall planes of the historic building and share similar fenestration patterns. Anything more than that might leave us with a stucco muffin top.

If this were 1920, I would be all for an addition in the revival style, but today, not so much. The financial resources that the developer would need to actually design and construct an addition that is both architecturally appropriate in regards to massing and facade arrangement coupled with the use of appropriate materials would make than a ridiculously expensive project. The use of contemporary materials wouldn't be as bad if this weren't so much of a stand alone structure. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 8:30 AM, markhollin said:

The owners of the Morris Building (circa 1924), which is home to the National Baptist Convention, are considering adding up to ten stories on top as possible hotel space.  IF it were done in the same Classical Revival style as the rest of the building, I could possibly see it working.

I vote to put a glass box on top of it.

9 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

I vote to put a glass box on top of it.

I actually like these type of projects where they put a tinted glass box on top of an older style building and replace the windows on the old part with matching glass, so it looks like a new building was fitted into the sleeve of the old one.  There's a not very huge building like that in Near North Chicago someplace but I can't find a picture.

Too bad the American National Bank didn't retain that beautiful pediment when they added the extra floors.  That medallion shape in the middle gave it a real Art Nouveau vibe.

On 10/9/2016 at 8:30 AM, markhollin said:

...The American National Bank building as it looked in the early 1900s:

American National Bank 2.jpg

American National Bank Building as it looked after it's 10-story addition in 1925:

American National Bank 3.jpg

On 10/10/2016 at 9:56 PM, Neigeville2 said:

There's a not very huge building like that in Near North Chicago someplace but I can't find a picture.

Yeah, but for every one of those you get a

soldierfield.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=

By the way I was only trying to rile up the anti-boxers although I agree that this style ends up very nice when tastefully done.

• Like 1

As much as I'll miss the Athlete's House, the conversion to the Belmont bookstore will be a great addition to this corner.     And, the construction fence around the stately elm tree in the parking lot indicates Belmont's intent to keep it.    I've always marveled at how this tree has somehow managed to survive all these years with its roots completely paved over.    It deserves to live on!    

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

^I really like the ornament over the doorway with the word Stahlman in skewed perspective.  It doesn't match the style of the rest of the building, but I think it totally works.  

That soffit actually was installed some 30 years following the initial construction.  I agree as well that it doesn't quite match that building design inspired of turn-of-20th-C Beaux-Arts ornate style, which also complements the presence of the American Trust Bldg. on the opposite corner of that "Tee" intersection at 3rd and Union.

The signs and soffit itself, of stainless-steel Art-Deco fabrication, always did enthrall my attention, ever since I was a kid, and when I decide to go to get a hoagie from that Jersey Mikes on the NE (frontal) corner of that building, I always look up and admire that thing.  As crazy as it seems, the damn sign probably has endowed subliminal urge for me to choose to go there, when I do have a hankerin'.

It was common for such structures to receive external appurtenances to "update" their appearance during the 1930s, as a matter of branding to confer a sleek and bold look.  I always thought that the false-perspective intention was strange but that this made it that more fascinating against otherwise rectilinear conventionality.  That soffit and the signs have become an historic icon, as the building itself, in my mind, and it's contrast against the building is made even more apparent with the red-granite surround with engraved "Stahlman" above the doors, all of which definitely post-dates the structure itself.

Stahlman_soffit.JPG

• Like 4

The Sportsman's Grille at the SW corner of 21st Avenue South and Children's Way has always been a favorite building of mine, with it's angled front entrance, and rich woodwork inside.  Built in 1953, the restaurant takes up the first floor, and offices are on the second.  Could definitely use a new coat of paint and some tree trimming along the northern side. 

Sportsman's Grille, 21st Ave.JPG

• Like 4