Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

From the late 80s to the early 2000s the building was home to the Town House Tea Roon restaurant, Savage House B&B and the Gaslite Lounge. The owners back in those days purchased the building when it seemed nobody else wanted it, but did not have the deep pockets to restore and maintain it properly. So happy it now has gotten the TLC it deserves!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Smith House (also known as  Gleaves/Claiborne/Savage House over it's history) currently hosts The Standard Restaurant, and is one of the two oldest homes still existing in downtown Nashville.  This Italiante-styled three-story brick building was built in 1857 and has served as a personal home, a boarding house, doctor's office, and a Jewish social club among other usages in it's 159-year history.  This one is a real source of pride in Nashville's architectural story.

I didn't even realize that I had such a house.  Until now I thought I was homeless.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Smith House (also known as  Gleaves/Claiborne/Savage House over it's history) currently hosts The Standard Restaurant, and is one of the two oldest homes still existing in downtown Nashville.  This Italiante-styled three-story brick building was built in 1857 and has served as a personal home, a boarding house, doctor's office, and a Jewish social club among other usages in it's 159-year history.  This one is a real source of pride in Nashville's architectural story.

If only it weren't an orphan. I weep for its scores of brothers and sisters we've lost over the past century. :(

• Like 2

The Cookery is a cool restaurant located in the one-time machine shop at 1827 12th Avenue South.  Originally built in 1930, the 7,800 sq. ft. brick building has served many purposes over the decades.

http://www.thecookery.org

Looking NW from 12th Ave. South near intersection with Acklen Ave:

The Cookery 1.JPG

Looking north with 12th Ave. South on the right:

The Cookery 2.png

• Like 1

On 8/16/2016 at 9:48 PM, MLBrumby said:

Warner Bros. Records' former home eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/08/16/hold-placed-demolition-music-row-area-building/88839328/

636069577113274453-1815-Division-Street-photo-small.jpg

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• At one point, condos were planned for the property at 1815 Division St.
  • The hold allows time to discuss alternatives and to document the Midtown area property.
  • Three years ago, real estate investor Salah Ayesh paid $2.6 million for the 0.68-acre property.
  • In addition to housing music company offices, the location once housed a Florence Crittenton Home for Unwed Mothers.

Dude now plans to tear it down for surface parking. http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/12/15/parking-lot-eyed-site-historic-midtown-building/95467978/

Disgusting.  Zero vision.  Zero foresight.  This guy clearly doesn't care about Nashville as a community whatsoever.  Just in it to make a buck.  This kind of crap should be banned.  If you're going to buy a historic building, you should have to present plans for using that building.  If your grand plan for your life is to dump pavement to put cars there, then you need a new goal in life, but also, there are countless empty lots and underutilized lots to buy for that.  It honestly feels like some people specifically target old buildings because they haven't gotten the memo that it isn't 1983 anymore and they still see them as 'undesirable' because they aren't made of shiny glass and stucco.  

• Like 4

The Tennessee Credit Union is a handsome structure built in 1910 along 8th Avenue South.  I have not been able to surmise what other uses it has had in its 106-year history.  Perhaps a church at one time? If anyone knows, please edumacate me.  : )

Looking east along Hamilton Ave. near intersection with 8th Ave. South:

Tenneessee Credit Union 1, 2016.JPG

Looking north along 8th Avenue South near intersection with Lynwood Ave:

Tennessee Credit Union 2, 2016.JPG

I love the rounded area in the back of the original building.  Looking west along Hamilton Avenue:

Tennessee Credit Union 3, 2016.JPG

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^For some reason, with that metal roof, it almost looks like newer construction with stucco.  Hope someone in the future can give it more of an "original" early 20th Century look.

It's not all original, of course.  It's been added onto, at least twice during the last hunnerd years, let alone the bridge.  A lot of old structures have been given metal roofs over time, for longevity and for energy-conservation.  The Cincinnati Union Terminal, originally opened in 1933 (now Cinncy Museum Center and Amtrak station) received one on its hemispherical rotunda dome, just as the "much smaller" Nashville Municipal Auditorium (1962) did in recent years.

CUT SOUTH-FLANK-LOOKING-NORTH-.jpg

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

I've been there, and it is a stunning structure. The museum is interesting, but as an architecture buff, I was more fascinated by the design and layout of the building. It was built (IIRC) in 1934 and I believe was one of the first terminals built with auto traffic in mind. So it portends airport designs that we know so well now (drop off at top and pick up at bottom). It's been about 10 years since I went there, but I recall a beautiful fresco in the main lobby (under the dome).  I'm glad it's still in use, but I believe it fell on hard times back after WW2.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

It actually was still sort of bustling as late as July 1965 when I first laid over there on my way to DC from Nashville, back when you still dressed up for traveling in public.  I recall the crowded massive concourse (razed in 1974) which extended left over those tracks and well beyond the edge of the photo.  You can see where it was blanked off.  C.U.T. as it is referred to, remains as one of my all-time favorite Art-Deco American terminals, which also include Buffalo and LAUPT (LA Union Passenger Terminal built 1939 as the most expensive).  As far as Art-Deco is concerned, Philadelphia, Fr. Worth, Newark, Baltimore, and (to a lesser extent in size) Omaha would rank among the top Depression-era stations which remain extant.  I always thought it interesting that Super Friends would choose C.U.T. as the basis for the Hall of Justice.

My apology for digressing from the sub-topic of the Tennessee Credit Union.  That reference to the metal roof "touched me off".

LAUPT
LAUPT-ticket-hall-ticket-counter-wide.jpg

• Like 2

In the late 70s that credit union building housed a business that specialized in swimwear for training and competition (this back in the era of local Olympic swimmer Tracey Caulkins).  I believe it was called Tennessee Swim Shop.

https://swimswam.com/legends-of-the-pool-tracy-caulkins-the-most-underrated-swimmer-ever/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_Caulkins

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ In the next several years with The Gossett, Endeavor, rumored Hensler Condo Tower, Nashville Yards residential, along with the existing 11 North Complex all providing thousands of residents within a few blocks (and who-knows-what potentially being developed on TheTennessean site!), combined with thousands of tourists staying at Hyatt Regency, Union Station, Staybridge Suites, Comfort Inn, etc. all within that same space---well, there should be plenty of customer traffic for any restaurants and clubs in the north Gulch.   : )

• Like 3