Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

18 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

Where else can you get paneer tikka masala poutine?  One of my favorite Nashville restaurants.

Sounds great!  I love Indian food, but I can get some of the best in Chicago already.  What I'm more excited about when it comes to Chahuan's is the concerted effort to pair different beers/ales with each dish...Indian food goes SO well with beer, and yet, it's very rare you see any Indian restaurant doing what they're doing here, even in Chicago.  I guess it's just because there isn't really much of a beer drinking culture in India.

Edited by BnaBreaker

On 12/26/2016 at 0:01 PM, markhollin said:

Tuck Hinton Architects repurposed the beautiful old Presbyterian Church at 410 Elm Street in SoBro. Originally built in 1860, the sanctuary now features an creative open office concept.

Tuck Hinton Church, March 2016.JPG

Tuck Hinton Front.jpeg

Tuck Hinton inside.jpeg

Tuck Hinton ceiling.jpeg

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19586210/410-Elm-St-Nashville-TN/

The building is for sale for 6.2 million. 

• Like 1

The light industrial space at 1301 Pillow Street in Wedgewood/Houston is currently home to Southbound Custom guitar finishing.   Built in 1951, the one-story, 16,600 sq. ft. space has been utilized for manufacturing work by various companies over the decades.   Someday, it might make a nice performance hall space, along the lines of the old 328 Performance Hall (torn down for KVB) or the former City Hall in the Gulch (now a clothing store).

Southbound Custom, 1301 Pillow St..JPG

• Like 4

The former warehouse space at 1300 Third Avenue North (at the NE corner of Monroe) is being converted into an eatery. The 6,450 sq. ft. space was built in 1940. The six block area just to the east of this location is going to have at least a dozen new restaurants in the next few years. 

From today's Nashville Post:

The MDHA committee also approved exterior modifications to the former Southern Broom & Mop Co. building located on Third Avenue North in Germantown. The building sits within MDHA’s Phillips Jackson Redevelopment District.

Nashville-based Gobbell Hays Partners is doing design work for building owner Fresh Hospitality, with the building will house a restaurant that is still unnamed. The owners recently landed a permit valued at $556,050 for interior renovations.

The building is slated for a new restaurant from City House sous chef Aaron Clemins. Biscan Construction is the contractor, and Fresh Hospitality owns the building.

Looking SW from the alleyway between 3rd and 2nd Avenues North:

Southern Mop & Broom restaurant 1, Dec 2016.JPG

Looking NE from corner of 3rd Ave. North and Monroe:

Southern Mop & Broom restaurant 2, Dec 2016.JPG

The rendering of what the front entrance of the restuarant will look like  on that same corner:

Southern Broom & Mop restaurant render, Jan 2016.jpg

The large Price residential complex (4 and 5 stories, 244 units) will be directly to the west across 3rd Ave. North, and one of the new 6 story Germantown storage complexes, featuring retail/restaurant space on the first floor, will be directly to the south on the other side of Monroe:

Southern Broom & Mop restaurant map, Jan 2016.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Canuck87 said:

One of my personal favorite historic buildings in the area is Lindsey Hall on the Richard H. Fulton Campus.

The Literary Building on the campus of the University of Nashville opened in 1854. The structure was designed by Adolphus Heiman, a local architect and stonemason who immigrated to Nashville from Prussia in 1837. The Gothic Revival building used local limestone and served as faculty office space, student housing, and classrooms. The University was both a highly-respected medical college and literary academy from its founding in 1826 to the eve of the Civil War. Because of financial problems, however, after 1855 the school shared the campus with the Western Military Institute. During the Civil War, the Literary Building was used as both a Confederate and Federal hospital. None of the structures on campus were damaged as a result of war. The University transitioned to a prep school in 1867 (Montgomery Bell Academy) before eventually the facilities became the home of Peabody Normal School. The campus was closed in 1915 when Peabody moved to their present site near Vanderbilt University. Today, only the Literary Building remains and serves as offices for Metro Nashville government.

Thanks for posting this one @Canuck87, had no idea at all it was there. I've always wondered what was back in that little area. 

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 1

The former home of the Mad Platter restaurant at 1239 Sixth Ave. North in Germantown, has been purchased by Fresh Hospitality for redevelopment into another one of their unique themed eateries.  More info on this circa 1900 structure on page 9 of this thread on dated Nov. 23, 2016.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/01/06/mad-platter-site-sold-new-owner-considers-options/96255950/

Mad Platter, Jan 2016.jpg

The stout, all brick 2-story structure at 300 10th Avenue South was built in 1926, and from what I can surmise, had initial usage in the railroad/shipping business. The 33,568 sq. ft. building is directly across the street to the east from the south end of Cummins Station and directly to the west from the new Westin Hotel.  It currently houses legal, advertising, and design companies, along with Slow Hand Coffee House on the first floor.

My one wish for it's location is to get rid of all those gawd-awful telephone poles and wires!

310 10th Ave South.JPG

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Steve Martin, the comedian, appeared at the Exit/In in the early 70's. My cousin went to see him, and midway through his routine, he announced that he wanted to buy everybody in the building a dinner. So they all followed him down to the Krystal Hamburger place a block away on Elliston Place where he bought two orders of fries and gave one fry to each person.

My reaction to this was, "Dang, I wish we still had a Krystal on Elliston."

• Like 3