Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

Found this online...

The building behind the wrought-iron fence on the left side of this photo is the oldest building in downtown Nashville. Built around 1810

DSC_0059.JPG

That simple Federalist-style building on the left had numerous brothers and sisters all over the early CBD, replacing the earliest wood structures. Some were still around after the Civil War (as photos will attest to), but as they were getting "old" and "out of fashion" (and small), they were all replaced with modern, larger and more ornate structures of the era (Victorians, Italianates, Second Empire, et al). This charming little fella, I believe, was the only one to survive.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I've always loved the 3-story, U-shaped, 22,000 sq. ft. building at 1700 Hayes Street in Midtown.  Built in 1920, it has served as an apartment building originally, but is more of an office space now. 

That's a beauty. We need more classy buildings like that and less of the ugly, derivative, cheap-looking claptrap popping up all over the city.

My great-grandmother lived in the top-right unit.  She passed before I was born; so I never got to see it.

Incidentally, my grandfather grew up in two houses on Hayes.  The second of which was at the corner of 21st, demolished for the Lowe's hotel.  Don't mean to hijack the thread!

• Like 1

What is now known as the Roy Orbison Building at 1625 Broadway was originally built in 1930 as the headquarters of E.M. Bond Fireproof Storage. Standing 7 stories tall, it has 34,800 sq. ft. of space, primarily utilized for offices, and has recently undergone another face lift. The first floor facing Broadway is home to a home decor store now.

Looking south from near intersection of Broadway and West End Ave:

Roy Orbison Building 1, Jan 22, 2017.JPG

Looking east from near intersection of Broadway and 17th Ave. South:

Roy Orbison Building 2, Jan 22, 2017.JPG

Looking west from alley behind The Cadence near 16th Ave. South:

Roy Orbison Building 3, Jan 22, 2017.JPG

Looking south across Broadway at the storefront with original facing still intact:

Roy Orbison Building 4, Jan 22, 2017.JPG

The original huge delivery doors.Roy Orbison Building 5, Jan 22, 2017.JPG

The redone entrance way to the office portion along the western side:

Roy Orbison Building 6, Jan 22, 2017.JPG

• Like 3

On 2/4/2017 at 5:17 AM, markhollin said:

The old house of worship at 629 Third Avenue South has had many varied tenants since it was built in 1910. The 2,700 sq. ft. structure in currently back to being a church as home to Anchor Fellowship:

629 3rd Ave South, Anchor Fellowship x.JPG

they used to allow punk/hardcore bands to play here, it was the perfect venue for that type of show.
if any of you are curious, below is a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5F6AD8EHsk

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bhibbs said:

they used to allow punk/hardcore bands to play here, it was the perfect venue for that type of show.
if any of you are curious, below is a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5F6AD8EHsk

I love this, kinda reminds me of Black Flag.  Weird to come to this years after their last show.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

I love this, kinda reminds me of Black Flag.  Weird to come to this years after their last show.

Nashville for many years in the late 90's/early 00's had a very thriving punk/hardcore scene with great venues and a ton of local bands. Unfortunately that has somewhat faded away at this point.