Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

Update on The Clementine (see 7-29-17 post i=on this thread). Built in 1945, this former church will be reopened next spring as an events center.  This from The Nashville Post:

Nashville-based developer Dan Cook is eyeing a May 1 for his long-planned Clementine event space on Charlotte Avenue. Cook said all Metro approvals have been issued and he will soon announce a general contractor for the West Nashville project. He is awaiting a building permit. Clementine will have an address of 4708 Charlotte Ave.

Pre-opening rental prices have been released, with rental periods of 10 to 12 hours at $2,500 to $8.500 per block of time. However, hourly rates are available.

Clementine capacity will be as follows: 300 people seated, 300 for a ceremony, and 500 for a reception. “We have Rhythm City Church as our first long-term tenant,” Cook said. That congregation currently meets at 3rd & Lindsley in SoBro.

Cook said he has pre-booked for multiple events and are now showing the building in its post-demolition and pre-construction state. Of note, about 25 percent of the building, both interior and exterior of the building has been altered, removed or razed.

Clementine will offer two large indoor rooms, an outdoor courtyard, three dressing rooms and a  catering room. Amenities will include decorative lighting, audio, video, a manager, ice/water/garbage and security.

In late August, the Metro Board of Zoning Appeals approved a variance related to the project’s wall height.

The street wall will rank among the more distinctive exterior design elements for the city’s many adaptive reuse projects. Cook feeks the wall for will offer some privacy for guests who use the outdoor space. The outdoor wall — to rise about six feet and to be landscaped — will front the property next door and at which restaurateur John Stephenson is planning Hathorne. That business should open at about the same time as Clementine.

Clementine will operate from a former church building, the original portion of which was constructed in 1889, on a 0.45-acre site. Stephenson will operate from a smaller building (once part of the church) that opened in 1947. Both structures are set back about 25 feet from the sidewalk (though neither is severed from the sidewalk by asphalt surface parking).

Clementine 1, Oct 2017.png

Clementine 2, Oct 2017.png

Clementine 3, Oct 2017.png

• Like 2

For the life of me I guess the historic commission is an enigma wrapped inside a riddle and I just cant figure them out. These folks are the biggest idiots and hypocrites I have ever see.

They allow all of the older buildings downtown to be bastardized  but allow treasures to be demolished. They just need to throw the guild lines out the door. Many of the building along Broadway, Second and Third now have additional floors with modern material. What is the use in having Historic overlays when Metro cheats at their own game.

If you try this in one of the historic neighborhoods you are fined and ostracized.

I must be in a bad mode. Everything is making me mad. Guess I am too jaded now.

• Like 3

White Bison Coffee will be the new home to the former car dealership at 2607 12th Ave. South. Originally built in 1945 as a gas station/garage, the 3,750 sq. ft. one story structure will have some expansion and complete overhaul to it's look.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20979921/white-bison-coffee-shop-eyed-for-12south

2607 12th Ave South, White Bison Coffee.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

White Bison Coffee will be the new home to the former car dealership at 2607 12th Ave. South. Originally built in 1945 as a gas station/garage, the 3,750 sq. ft. one story structure will have some expansion and complete overhaul to it's look.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20979921/white-bison-coffee-shop-eyed-for-12south

2607 12th Ave South, White Bison Coffee.png

While I'm happy this building is getting some better use (I always wondered how a used car lot that looks like it belongs in Leoma, Tennessee was in the middle of 12 South), I wish it was something other than yet another coffee shop. I can throw a football and hit like 3 other coffee shops around this one. 

• Like 1