Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

309 Church Street was originally built in 1874.  The 5 story edifice was first home to Union & American Newspaper, which eventually became the Nashville Banner. In recent years it was combined with its eastern neighbor, The Exchange Building, and is now the Lofts at Exchange.  I have often thought the first floor entrance could be repurposed into a stylish restaurant (with additional windows or entrance that would look westward onto the alley) that could help extend the Printers Alley entertainment district further to the south side of Church, eventually stimulating development along the alley all the way down to Commerce.

309 Church St, Lofts at Exchanges, 1874.jpg

309 Church St., Lofts at Exchange 2 x.jpg

309 Church St., Lofts at Exchange 3 x.jpg

309 Church St., Lofts at Exchange 4 x.jpg

• Like 4

Wow! Great information! I'll buy his book. BTW: Someone in my family received (from someone else) a copy of the Then/Now book about Nashville. I was surprised b/c neither lives in Nashville. They relative who received it has one about Atlanta. I intended to "thumb through" the book but ended up checking out every page. Happily, I knew all of the places. I'm such a geek. Perhaps one of the things Ralcon (such an unusual name) means in his comment about those books is that they (at least the one I saw) focus on the major landmarks. Would be nice to see more streetview and general scenes (then vs. now). 

• Like 2

^ Funny, that window that goes all the way down to the floor with the prominent “3 Crow Bar” neon signage is only a couple of years old. A car ran through the wall there in maybe 2014 or so, and when they rebuilt it they just decided to make the window go all the way to the ground. 

The Stillery Midtown is now open at 1921 Broadway. The 4,904 three story brick structure (which appears to have about another 1,500 sq. ft. added-onto) which was originally built in 1940, has also been featured in this thread Feb. 12th and Sept. 15th of last year as the transformation was taking place. 

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017 1.jpg

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017 2.jpg

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017 3.jpg

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017 4.jpg

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017, 5.png

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017, 6.jpg

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017, 7.jpg

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017, 8.jpg

The Stillery, Dec 3, 2017, 9.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

I count at least 6 different architectural styles going on there.    LOL 

Yeah, it's a mess...I'm laughing trying to see what's going on...is HGTV a style? There wasn't much architectural significance to the original structure, so thankfully not much at all will be lost when someone decides to tear this down in 5 to 10 years. 

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

I count at least 6 different architectural styles going on there.    LOL 

That's why it looks like a dump. 

Too many people see prominent characteristics about different designs and want to combine ALL of them in the same structure. I recall this in a neighborhood in North Atlanta back in the 1980s when my mother thought she wanted to move. It was a new neighborhood at the time and nearly all the houses had French colonial quoins and ornate cornices, Palladian windows, and dormers with same French designs above the windows. It was ostentatious and crappy looking then and now they just look dated. The houses on that street that have not been radically altered or torn down now look like mildew ravaged crackdens. Their lots are worth more than the houses on them. 

• Like 2