Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

Tuck Hinton Architecture & Design has moved into the top floor of the southern structure of May Hosiery repurpose project that faces Houston St. The new studio offers natural light though expansive windows, and large meeting rooms and work stations. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/09/03/virtual-tour-nashville-architect-turns-former-sock.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 1.png

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 2.png

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 3.png

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 4.png

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 5.png

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 7.png

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 8.png

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 9.png

May Hosiery, Tuck Hinton, Sept 3, 2019, 10.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^ ^ ^ Point taken.  I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.  I try to go 50 years and older most of the time.  In some cases, it is not architecturally significant, nor particularly "historical," but rather just a rehab/re-use from its original concept. I post one of these every other day...so you can imagine that over these past 4 years and over 720 posts, that the inventory can get a bit thin sometimes.  Others on the forum are, by all means, welcome to contribute when they find anything interesting.   : )

• Like 2

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ Point taken.  I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.  I try to go 50 years and older most of the time.  In some cases, it is not architecturally significant, nor particularly "historical," but rather just a rehab/re-use from its original concept. I post one of these every other day...so you can imagine that over these past 4 years and over 720 posts, that the inventory can get a bit thin sometimes.  Others on the forum are, by all means, welcome to contribute when they find anything interesting.   : )

Although, many of the buildings you post on this thread ARE architecturally significant and represent great examples of craftsman, Tudor, timber/brick commercial buildings and other forms that haven't been utilized in the last 50-100 years.    I love getting these updates about how these buildings are being preserved, updated and re-purposed.     Keep 'em coming!    

• Like 4

On 8/1/2019 at 7:24 AM, markhollin said:

2407 12th Ave. South is being rehabbed from the one-time Katy K's Ranch Dressing to a new breakfast joint.  It covers about 2,000 sq. ft. and was built in 1965.

2407 12th Ave South, Katys, June 29, 2019 x.jpg

Uhmm, at what point does a renovation simply become new construction. Noticed this on my evening walk.

364BBE69-31A1-4BE5-86DD-198D7F9160F2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/13/2019 at 9:34 AM, PruneTracy said:

You joke about this but if you told me there was a ranch dressing bar opening up that only sold dishes using artisan varieties of ranch dressing I'd totally believe you. You'd have to say it was in East Nashville, though

Not sure if I should admit this outloud, but I actually wasn't joking... but only because, like you said, an all ranch dressing bar isn't really THAT far out of the realm of hipster possibilities, let's be honest!  Haha

20 hours ago, markhollin said:

1418 Church St. is 2 stories tall and covers 9,770 sq. ft. It was built in 1945, and is currently home to Deja Vu Gentleman's Club.  

1418 Church St, Deja Vu, Aug, 2019.jpg

Should have been in Pie Town, so everyone could have a piece of pie!

(bad joke of the year) 

• Haha 2