Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

12 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I forget what was there when I was at VU.  I want to say it was also Ice Cream, but B&J's doesn't ring a bell.  This month's issue of the Vanderbilt Alumni magazine has a feature on the SATCO behind it. That's a weird little corner in a fast changing area of town. 

Was it White Mountain Creamery?  Seems like that rings a bell from my days at Owen.

• Thanks 1

The owners of 421 Church Street (Tony Giarratana and Ryan Chapman) are seeking Metro approval to have the building designated as a historic landmark. 

Meyer Cohen, a pawnbroker and jeweler, constructed the Renaissance Revival-style Cohen Building in 1890. Modern Trousseau, a women's bridal wear retailer, operates from the main level. Floors two and three accommodate short-term rental spaces.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21123521/historic-landmark-status-sought-for-downtown-building

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.59.15 PM.png

• Like 3

I think you may have missed the full meaning of the article as what he is doing is applying the air rights from this building to another as yet unbuilt building.

"If Metro approves the historic landmark designation, specific development rights of the Cohen Building property at that point could then be transferred to another property. Specifically, the Cohen Building site’s height allowances (sometimes referred to as “air rights”) could be applied to a different downtown property via the Metro Planning Department’s downtown code bonus height program."

"Giarratana, who has developed multiple Church Street sites with high-rises Viridian and 505 and is looking to develop a nearby parcel with residential tower 900 Church, said this is the first time he has tried to use what he termed a “little-known tool” and that he is unaware of its prior use within the central core. If historic landmark status is applied, Giarratana said it could be potentially applied to other historic buildings he owns and, as such, be beneficial related to a handful of high-rise building projects his team is pursuing."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think you may have missed the full meaning of the article as what he is doing is applying the air rights from this building to another as yet unbuilt building.

"If Metro approves the historic landmark designation, specific development rights of the Cohen Building property at that point could then be transferred to another property. Specifically, the Cohen Building site’s height allowances (sometimes referred to as “air rights”) could be applied to a different downtown property via the Metro Planning Department’s downtown code bonus height program."

"Giarratana, who has developed multiple Church Street sites with high-rises Viridian and 505 and is looking to develop a nearby parcel with residential tower 900 Church, said this is the first time he has tried to use what he termed a “little-known tool” and that he is unaware of its prior use within the central core. If historic landmark status is applied, Giarratana said it could be potentially applied to other historic buildings he owns and, as such, be beneficial related to a handful of high-rise building projects his team is pursuing."

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

So they will be able to use bonus height from one historic building that will not ever have any future height and apply it to another as yet building.

This has never been used yet.

That’s an interesting incentive for a developer to purchase and preserve a historic building. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The reason I didn't mention this was because this thread is about repurposed buildings.  The Cohen Building was featured on this thread Nov. 21, 2016, and I was giving an update.

I figured the bonus height info would be relevant on a different thread if/when Tony G. ever decides to "apply it" on a future project. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

707 18th Ave. South covers 11,244 sq. ft. on its 2 floors, and was originally built in 1920 (with several additions since). It currently houses the leasing offices for Kenect, along with 9 other offices.

707 18th Ave South, Feb, 2020 x.jpg

is this house owned by Kenect owners and will remain after the project's construction is complete?

Thanks Mark. I wouldn't know about nearly all of these repurposed buildings if not for your posts about them. 

Just wondering where you get the info on them. Like this one... I would never have guessed a muffler shop (originally) but most definitely a gas station. Even the design has the canopy over where the pumps would have been. No doubt, it's ideally suited for a muffler shop. Excuse my nerdness on this topic, as I'm an old gas station fan (no joke) and to a much lesser extent, old franchise retail/restaurant structures from the 1920s-60s.  Drives my wife crazy.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks Mark. I wouldn't know about nearly all of these repurposed buildings if not for your posts about them. 

Just wondering where you get the info on them. Like this one... I would never have guessed a muffler shop (originally) but most definitely a gas station. Even the design has the canopy over where the pumps would have been. No doubt, it's ideally suited for a muffler shop. Excuse my nerdness on this topic, as I'm an old gas station fan (no joke) and to a much lesser extent, old franchise retail/restaurant structures from the 1920s-60s.  Drives my wife crazy.  

Sometimes I get the info from articles in The Post, NBJ, or Tennessean.  Sometimes through visiting the current establishment's website or walking in to the and asking around.  I always find out sq. ft. and initial construction from online sites lie Homefacts.com.    In this case, I know it was a muffler shop for quite a while before it became the eatery, but like you, I thought it might've been a gas station at one time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1