Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

On 8/31/2020 at 5:32 AM, markhollin said:

The new Studio 154 boutique hotel is located inside that 1900-era, 5 story former warehousing at 154 2nd Ave. North.

154 2nd Ave North, Studio 154 Boutique Hotel, Aug, 2020, 1x.jpg

154 2nd Ave North, Studio 154 Boutique Hotel, Aug, 2020, 2 x.png

154 2nd Ave North, Studio 154 Boutique Hotel, Aug, 2020, 7 x.png

These pics help to make a point I've thought for at least ten years (before this latest boom)... A hotel of 8-12 stories at the vacant parking lot at Church and Second Avenue would be a smashing success. I don't know who owns it, and I've heard that the company that owned the historic building there 30+ years ago actually wanted the building to be destroyed. Of course, I don't know that to be true, but whoever owns it ought to know that the property would be worth a bucket-load more than staying as a parking lot. This looks like something Tony Giarratana and Mitch Patel, together would be able to make work. 

• Like 4

This was the standard design for Third National Bank branches through the 1960s, I believe. The original design featured an entrance where the walk up ATM is located. (Photo below from Google street view shows the building prior to renovation. The awnings were a 1990s addition, if memory serves me.)

E2C56ED6-7E27-4E87-8442-B442DCADD7B2.png

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

There are lots of buildings of that style around Nashville. Apparently starting as branches for a bank, but which one? I'd guess they were put up in the 1950s because they're very old looking (before the Googie craze began) and they're in the older commercial strips along arterial streets. 

I’m pretty certain that was Third National Bank.

Indeed Third National did have a number of branches built of that post-modern, limestone-and-granite-clad design during the 1950’s and maybe into the early’60s— I don’t know for sure.   Their rectilinear styling, reminiscent of Egyptian Revival, was a signature of The Third.   I used to visit that particular branch during high school years in the mid-to-late ‘60s, as well as others on Charlotte (blt. In the ‘50s near 46th Ave.); on 21st in Hillsboro Village; on Hillsboro Pk at Green Hills S.C.  (before and after the s.c. became a mall); and the one which notoriously was razed “kinda” recently on 3rd Ave S near Lafayette.

Third National Bank became SunTrust during I believe the early or mid ‘90s, which so far seems to have avoided repeated name changes through mergers, unlike other banking institutions.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, rookzie said:

I’m believing that was Third National Bank.

Indeed Third National did have a number of branches built of that post-modern, limestone-clad design during the 1950’s and maybe into the early’60s— I don’t know for sure.   I used to visit that particular branch during high school years in the mid-to-late ‘60s, as well as others on Charlotte (blt. In the ‘50s near 46th Ave.); on 21st in Hillsboro Village; on Hillsboro Pk at Green Hills S.C.  (before and after the s.c. became a mall); and the one which notoriously was razed “kinda” recently on 3rd Ave S near Lafayette.

Third National Bank became SunTrust during I believe the early or mid ‘90s, which so far seems to have avoided repeated name changes through mergers, unlike other banking institutions.

SunTrust will soon become Truist Bank as the merger with BB&T is complete. (As a BB&T customer, I’m not thrilled with the new name!)

• Like 2