Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

For sixty-five years the Benson family operated a small grocery store at the corner of Central Pike and Dodson Chapel Road in Hermitage. When they opened their store the area was largely rural, with grocery shopping options surely limited. They held on and maintained a small but loyal clientele until they decided to close the business in 2015, retire and sell the property. The building has undergone extensive renovation and is now home to Wellspring Builders, with a small commercial space still available for lease. 

All posted images are from the WWW. Map & photo of the renovated building are from our friend Mr. Google. (NOT Barney Google, with the goo-goo googely eyes!)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Historic Roxy Theater at 827 Meridian Street in Cleveland Park purchased for $1.3 million by Elliot Kyle, and to be transformed into a live entertainment venue with restaurant aspect. Built in 1930, the structure originally had 250 seats, and has nearly 9,000 sq. ft. of space.

This is great news!    I love that it will be used again for live shows, rather than just some trendy restaurant in a former sinema theater.    

They just don't make brick anything like that anymore. For shame. If something is bricked, there is no style.

12 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

The building just to the left of it is pretty amazing as well.

The building to the left says Litterer Laboratories - Vanderbilt University. Anybody know anything about that one?

Noticed that brick looks very nice and carefully laid.  There is an old, repurposed saddlery building here in Chattanooga that has very interesting brickwork.  In short, it appears to be a sloppy job for much of the structure. When I visited an office there I got a closer look and noticed that there was once an "outer" coat of some masonry material but there's virtually none of it left. The building was built in the 1880s.  Does anyone know what it might have been and if that was a common construction practice?

16 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Noticed that brick looks very nice and carefully laid.  There is an old, repurposed saddlery building here in Chattanooga that has very interesting brickwork.  In short, it appears to be a sloppy job for much of the structure. When I visited an office there I got a closer look and noticed that there was once an "outer" coat of some masonry material but there's virtually none of it left. The building was built in the 1880s.  Does anyone know what it might have been and if that was a common construction practice?

paging @arkitekte

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks for the heads up on this, dmills. 

To answer your question, MLBrumby, someone hired a contractor at some point who had no idea how to handle historic masonry OR just didn't care to take the extra time/money to do the job right. He probably sand blasted the brick or used a high pressure water treatment to clean it which essentially removes the face of each brick. I guess you could look at the brick face like enamel on your teeth. Once you lose it, it's gone and it's vital to the health over the lifetime of the building. After 5 or so years, it's going to start to deteriorate, depending on the climate. 

The correct way, or safest way to clean brick or any other historic stone element is typically by hand. I'm not kidding, but Dove dish detergent and shoe brushes are what some contractors prefer. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rookzie said:

Most of us "actively here", as opposed to lurkers", probably do not recall that the former downtown anchor Harvey's Department Store had a ride in addition to a merry-go-round.  Perhaps one or two of us may recall, after a memory job, that within in the toy department was a monorail "rocket", on which kids could ride (perhaps for a nickel or so) and which would glide around overhead along the ceiling of the then-huge toy department, that would have put Toys-r-Us to the weeds.

I don't remember that at all. I'm guessing they retired it by the time I was a little kid visiting the store in the mid-to-late '70s. It's possible the tracks may have still been on the ceiling, though. Nashville badly needs to have this type of novelty department store back again with all the bells and whistles (well, except for the monkeys-flinging-poo bar). :rolleyes:

Edited by fieldmarshaldj

32 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Great masonry work on that building. Do  you know if it was built for the car dealership, or did Reed buy it later for that purpose?  Reminds me a little bit of Brightleaf Square in Durham, NC. 

It was, once upon a time, a Coca Cola bottling factory.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

The former showroom/warehouse for Jim Reed Chevrolet at the SW corner of Church and 16th Avenue North has always been ripe for repurposing.  Built in 1928, this two-story structure has 78,000 sq. ft. of space that could be turned into a large mixed-use facility, perhaps featuring a blend of antique mall, other retail, restaurants, event space, and offices.  As other development continues in the corridor between Charlotte Ave. and West End Ave., I think this property will get hotter and hotter.  

I use to work in that building during early and mid-1974, before Jim Reed acquired it.  Wometco Coca Cola Bottling Co used that structure, before that firm moved to its then-new location by at Bransford Ave and Craighead St. ─ I believe around the late 1970s.  Being by the train tracks (a connection called "Southern Junction"), It then was able to use rail conveyance (Cargill and ADM tank cars), instead of trucking, for the corn syrup commodity.  At that time Wometco Bottling, then part of a larger diverse enterprise which also included cable TV, was one of the largest franchisees for Coca Cola.  Coca Cola Consolidated long since acquired Wometco Bottling (over 30 years ago).

My job was to repair vending machine coin changers, and I was "supposed" to turn in any change found hung in the changer assemblies, during repair.  Cokes, along with a regional brand of "stout-tasting" (strong) flavor of grape and of orange pop (soda), named "Delish", also bottled by Wometco, cost employees a nickel back then.

This building has managed to defy the odds of escaping the wrecking ball, unlike a nearly nearby old structure of similar vintage housing the "Taystee Bread" bakery on the SE corner of 17th and Church (now site of the Dialysis Clinic).  The bakery had extended to about mid-block toward 16th Ave., before nearly that entire block had become re-formatted and re-purposed.

Delish_pop_bottle.JPGTaystee-baked-while-you-sleep-(39-works)3.jpg

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4