Repurposed/revitalized historical buildings in Nashville

markhollin

1 hour ago, bhibbs said:

theres a great hidden away billiards bar on the second floor as well!
(regarding the sportsmens on the last page)
(they also have the best burger in nashville, and ill will argue to death over this)

I believe that's it's now the Chandler's (owners') cigar room.  It used to have six antique Brunswick-brand tables, for either snooker or 8-ball.  Last time I was up there in that pool hall, was when buddies of mine used to hang there during the mid-'70s, under different ownership by some old, portly, cigar-chompin' man.  I also believe that the Chandlers had owned the recently closed Melrose Billiards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Sportsman's Grille at the SW corner of 21st Avenue South and Children's Way has always been a favorite building of mine, with it's angled front entrance, and rich woodwork inside.  Built in 1953, the restaurant takes up the first floor, and offices are on the second.  Could definitely use a new coat of paint and some tree trimming along the northern side. 

Sportsman's Grille, 21st Ave.JPG

That was the old Spats watering hole when I was in college.   Spent a LOT of time in there.  :tw_glasses:   You're right about the need for a little freshening.    Remarkably little has changed inside or out in the last 30 yrs.  

• Like 1

The Rutledge Hill mansion standing at 16 Academy Place is deserving of a major revitalization.  As far as I can tell, it is owned by a private citizen, and appears to be falling into disrepair.  This circa 1900, 6,200 sq. ft. beauty has 9 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, and 23 rooms altogether.  Could make an amazing Bed & Breakfast, or Legal Office, or...let your imagination run wild. 

16_Academy_Place,_circa_1900.JPG

• Like 4

The 2,500 sq. ft. foursquare home at 2005 Belmont Blvd has been purchased by Bong Java (it's next door neighbor).  Bongo owner Bob Bernstein plans on converting it from a 4-unit apartment building into an eatery.  Was built in 1905. Wonderful to see some of these stout old homes being repurposed like this.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/10/31/bongo-java-owner-explores-new-belmont-area-restaurant/93059452/

2005 Belmont Blvd..JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rolf and Daughters restauranteurs of Germantown have leased property at the southeast corner of Meridian and Wilburn streets in East Nashville with plans for a new restaurant.

The location at 823 and 825 Meridian St. includes a 3,652-square-foot building (built in 1931), which was once home to elevator manufacturing, installation, maintenance and repair business Automatic Elevator Inc.  It is across the street from the soon-to-be-renovated Roxy Theater in the Cleveland Park area.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/11/15/rolf-and-daughters-owner-plans-new-east-nashville-restaurant/93926380/

Rolf 2.JPG

Rolf 1.JPG

• Like 2

Bill Miller, who also owns the Johnny Cash Museum, the Sun Diner, and Nudies Honky Tonk, recently purchased the 1890-era 2-story building at 120 Third Avenue South.  It has approximately 15,000 sq. ft. of usable event space, and it is rumored his plans will be to make it into either another museum for an iconic country artist and/or a possible restaurant/bar.

Here is the website of The Avenue, which currently inhabits the building as an event space:

http://www.nashvilleeventspace.com/venues/avenue/ 

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.55.51.png

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.52.54.png

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.39.34.png

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.39.08.png

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.38.45.png

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.38.27.png

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.38.01.png

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.37.40.png

Screenshot 2016-11-18 09.37.17.png

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The Cohen Building, nestled between Downtown Presbyterian Church and Viridian Condo Tower at 421 Church Street, was built in 1890 and is a real gem.  One of our favorite developers, Tony Giarratana, is among the current tenants. This Renaissance Revival-style 3-story building.  Originally it was home to jeweler Meyer Cohen, who ran his shop at street level and lived on the top two floors.

You think it just might have defied all odds?  I'd surely say it did!  Now If only it could answer and tell its side of the story.....

• Like 2

On 10/28/2016 at 10:45 AM, markhollin said:

The Sportsman's Grille at the SW corner of 21st Avenue South and Children's Way has always been a favorite building of mine, with it's angled front entrance, and rich woodwork inside.  Built in 1953, the restaurant takes up the first floor, and offices are on the second.  Could definitely use a new coat of paint and some tree trimming along the northern side. 

Sportsman's Grille, 21st Ave.JPG

I have long wished that Sportsman's Grille would get a bit of a spruce up and be a better place to hang out. I really want to like it, and that area needs a local divey hangout since the demise of Sam's. Honestly, just fixing or removing the tattered window awnings would do wonders for the place. The peeling paint almost gives it a charm.

Well that didn't take long... the Mad Platter property is under contract

“'The prospective buyer is very aware of what’s happening in Germantown and will be a heavy contributor to the neighborhood,' said Grout, who declined to disclose either the would-be buyer or a closing date for the transaction."

"A LoopNet listing shows the building, built in 1889, spans 3,858 square feet. The asking price is $1.75 million, the equivalent of $453.60 per foot."

Article: http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20844692/mad-platter-property-under-contract

• Like 1