IKEA to open in Norfolk!

HRVT

7 hours ago, Icetera said:

Congrats Hampton Roads!

I do find it interesting on where they are locating this Ikea. Typically they are placed on the edge of one major metropolitan area in the direction of other population centers. Given that, I would have expected this to be located in Western Newport News/Hampton/Williamsburg in order to pick up both Hampton Roads (1.7 mil) and the Richmond metro (1.3 mil) but instead they located it way east in between Norfolk and VA Beach. That makes me think they are planning ahead for a future location in Western Richmond (Short Pump) which would work for Charlottesville (0.15 mil), Lynchburg (0.25 mil) and potentially Roanoke (0.3 mil) for a combined market of 1.7 to 2 million.

I agree that Richmond will likely find themselves with an IKEA before long (probably out near West End). I do also agree that until then that you will see some Richmond shoppers make their way to Hampton Roads, though I think the majority of Richmonders would rather trek north to Woodbridge.

Great development for Hampton Roads though and I think IKEA will do really well in this area too.

• Like 1

Off topic but when looking at the area where IKEA will be built, what is just north west of that parcel? There is a building with tennis and basketball courts and maybe a bridge leading to it but the bridge does not appear as a road on google maps? Is it a peninsula or is it connected to the golf course some way?

Creepy?

Edited by JPN0731

Arena got approved, ADP is bringing 1,800 jobs, a feature film is shooting here, Ikea coming to town, plus various tech jobs coming to VB. It's been a good half-year for the 757 (even if the arena was technically last December)!

Honestly, in terms of longshots, I thought we would've had a team before Ikea, so keeping fingers crossed...I think we're the only Ikea market without pro sports. :P

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

That parcel was once part of the USAA compound (now Amerigroup/WellPoint) & was developed in the early 1990's as their "Recreation Island" complex. 

Recreation Island is separated from the parcel in question. That's further back on the property and won't be impacted.

10 hours ago, 757Duke said:

Recreation Island is separated from the parcel in question. That's further back on the property and won't be impacted.

I wasn't addressing any impact.  Of course it won't be impacted; it's private property, and I don't believe it's particularly developable.

I thought the person had asked a question earlier about what that bridge was leading to and what those buildings were on that wooded property on the lake? I've walked the property many times, so I know what it is. That's all I was addressing. 

Edited by baobabs727

On 7/12/2016 at 9:14 PM, baobabs727 said:

I wasn't addressing any impact.  Of course it won't be impacted; it's private property, and I don't believe it's particularly developable.

I thought the person had asked a question earlier about what that bridge was leading to and what those buildings were on that wooded property on the lake? I've walked the property many times, so I know what it is. That's all I was addressing. 

Yes, you're right- all I wanted to know was what "Recreation Island" was. Thanks. 

• Like 1

This is from a few weeks ago, but the Pilot asks whether landing an Ikea is a sign that Hampton Roads has "arrived". The region is definitely having a great year, IMO, with the various projects scheduled and companies like ADP coming to town.

http://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/has-hampton-roads-arrived-ikea-may-have-just-confirmed-it/article_7299c186-2b18-5baf-a0dd-d9c6b09a6215.html

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • vdogg unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...