IKEA to open in Norfolk!

HRVT

• 6 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would be curious as to whether this sparks more residential as well. Norfolk doesn't have as much land as Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, so I'm not sure if they even have the space to build something like condos nearby.

I'm sure there's also the issue of proximity to the airport...

• Like 1

Well...one would think so...and there was breathless reportage very early on indicating yes....but since then there have been two projects downgraded significantly ....Simon, itself, backed out of the bigger (much) one, and "poof" went both the rampant speculation and actual news. Could it be that the stumbling Outlets and the greater negative picture for retail in general have served to dampen investment interest there? 

Photo credit to Air Center Helicopters, Keith Smith . From Norfolk Department of Development Facebook page.

39298752_1957657510960733_1093546824439955456_o.jpg

Now looking at the photo above, a restaurant of some kind could easily fit in the wooded area in the lower left corner. That would open it up and make IKEA easier to see from the west side of Northhampton Blvd.

• 2 months later...

IKEA plans to hire 250 people in the coming months. 

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_f98cf2d8-e3a3-11e8-93be-3bbb9c5ec3e8.html

Driving to work this morning, I noticed the triangular sign from the Interstate. I expected it to be a little taller, but I might be going off the sign I see when you head to Potomac Mills. With 95 being wider and busier, I’m sure that sign is much taller for a reason. 

13 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Could be the sign isn't taller because its in the flight path for Norfolk International.  Just my guess.

I haven't seen the sign, so I do not know how high it is.  Measuring on Google maps, the IKEA site  is well over 3000 feet from the runway centerline.  The FAA requires a clear zone using an 8 to 1 slope, so you could go over 300 feet high before the FAA would be concerned. 

However, I found this in the Norfolk Zoning Ordinance, Article 5.7.8.B:

"No outdoor advertising sign adjacent to and facing an interstate highway shall exceed 45 feet in height at its highest point, measured from the grade of the interstate highway at the point of its nearest proximity to the sign." 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I can see by Google maps that traffic really will be an issue with this. I feel like the one entrance/exit is too little and a secondary exit/entrance needs to be built somewhere. I know the exit from I-64 east bound (exit 282) was widened and made to exit west on Northhampton Blvd., but with a line of cars probably waiting to get into IKEA from that same direction already on Northhampton Blvd. will make it impossible for the interstate traffic to get to this. The right lane will be congested and you know that drivers will "block the box" in the intersection and cause chaos. Ideas on a fix?

On 2/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, NFKjeff said:

It will most assuredly be congested for the grand opening. Because it’s not like an arena, or amphitheater, with events to and from which everyone will be arriving and leaving at the same time,  and the increased traffic infrastructure in the area, I believe it will be fine.

I was in Cincinnati when thiers opened and they had shuttles to and from remote parking lots for the first several weeks. It was a madhouse but I suppose it eventually quieted down.