HRVT

IKEA to open in Norfolk!

Isn't the one in DC on top of the parking lot? Ive never been but from the interstate it looks like there is a surface parking lot and the building is on pillars above the lot.

1 hour ago, Virginia City said:

Isn't the one in DC on top of the parking lot? Ive never been but from the interstate it looks like there is a surface parking lot and the building is on pillars above the lot.

Yes, the IKEA in Woodbridge sits atop parking (I think just one level). It is interesting to me that the IKEA there at Potomac Mills Mall is part of a Simon development, and the one being built here is just down the road from one.

This is a good addition for the city and metro. I really like IKEA because they offer good modern looking furniture and stuff for a reasonable price, and are very selective with their locations so that a metro (and sometimes state) only get one store. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BFG said:

So it's possible this could still open next year, maybe around the fall? 

I would imagine so. I don't see it taking longer than a year to build this.

31 minutes ago, SuffolkWahoo said:

What do you mean?

The framing of the building is at least partially up. Saw it when I drove past on the highway yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

The main structure of the massive building is nearly complete. Just one section of the roof needs to be constructed. Sorry for the poor photo but it was difficult to get a good perspective from where I was, not to mention dangerous.

B6263717-8B99-4733-A411-89073BAECE12.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for getting a shot. I pass it every morning, but driving on the Interstate makes that a pretty bad idea lol...it's looking larger than I thought it would be.

IKEA normally sparks a ton of retail development around their stores. I'm curious to see how and where the development sprouts up in this area since it's not a normal location. I think the Military Hwy corridor would be the most logical place...which would be refreshing.  

Military Highway, yes. I would also like to see development all the way around Lake Wright and not just the Outlets. The area needs restaurants . Look at Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach for ideas that they can do. 

• Like 1

I would be curious as to whether this sparks more residential as well. Norfolk doesn't have as much land as Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, so I'm not sure if they even have the space to build something like condos nearby.

I'm sure there's also the issue of proximity to the airport...

• Like 1

Well...one would think so...and there was breathless reportage very early on indicating yes....but since then there have been two projects downgraded significantly ....Simon, itself, backed out of the bigger (much) one, and "poof" went both the rampant speculation and actual news. Could it be that the stumbling Outlets and the greater negative picture for retail in general have served to dampen investment interest there? 

Photo credit to Air Center Helicopters, Keith Smith . From Norfolk Department of Development Facebook page.

39298752_1957657510960733_1093546824439955456_o.jpg

Now looking at the photo above, a restaurant of some kind could easily fit in the wooded area in the lower left corner. That would open it up and make IKEA easier to see from the west side of Northhampton Blvd.