IKEA to open in Norfolk!

HRVT

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Norf native said:

I wonder (if the timing had been right) if Ikea could have taken over the Nordstrom space in the mall downtown.  Can you imagine what that would have done to the mall and downtown as a whole?  <_< 

I doubt this would have happened. Nordstrom is only 180k sf while IKEA is 331k. And if IIRC that’s smaller than average. Furthermore, IKEA & the outlets are essentially  a couple - we either got both or neither. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

So, does anyone have anything to report?

I went opening night. They handled traffic very well and they were certainly busy. Beyond that, once you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. Kinda wish the garage was attached to the store. 

• Like 1

Which side of the building is the cafe on?  If it's in the back, it looks like maybe you get a good view of the airport?  My favorite thing about Ikea Elizabeth, NJ is that you can sit by the windows in the cafe and watch planes take off/land at Newark airport, watch traffic on the Turnpike, and see the cranes moving at the port.  Would be cool if there's a similar experience at Ikea Norfolk with the airport and I-64 right there.  

21 minutes ago, lammius said:

Which side of the building is the cafe on?  If it's in the back, it looks like maybe you get a good view of the airport?  My favorite thing about Ikea Elizabeth, NJ is that you can sit by the windows in the cafe and watch planes take off/land at Newark airport, watch traffic on the Turnpike, and see the cranes moving at the port.  Would be cool if there's a similar experience at Ikea Norfolk with the airport and I-64 right there.  

I didn’t go into the cafe but it’s located on the southwest portion of the second floor so the view if any would be of the surface parking lot.