HRVT

IKEA to open in Norfolk!

IKEA plans to hire 250 people in the coming months. 

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_f98cf2d8-e3a3-11e8-93be-3bbb9c5ec3e8.html

Driving to work this morning, I noticed the triangular sign from the Interstate. I expected it to be a little taller, but I might be going off the sign I see when you head to Potomac Mills. With 95 being wider and busier, I’m sure that sign is much taller for a reason. 

The sign is really cool looking going onto the interstate on the Northhamton entrance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Could be the sign isn't taller because its in the flight path for Norfolk International.  Just my guess.

The flight path occurred to me the other day. That makes the most sense.

13 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Could be the sign isn't taller because its in the flight path for Norfolk International.  Just my guess.

I haven't seen the sign, so I do not know how high it is.  Measuring on Google maps, the IKEA site  is well over 3000 feet from the runway centerline.  The FAA requires a clear zone using an 8 to 1 slope, so you could go over 300 feet high before the FAA would be concerned. 

However, I found this in the Norfolk Zoning Ordinance, Article 5.7.8.B:

"No outdoor advertising sign adjacent to and facing an interstate highway shall exceed 45 feet in height at its highest point, measured from the grade of the interstate highway at the point of its nearest proximity to the sign." 

• Like 1