Jump to content

IKEA to open in Norfolk!


HRVT

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Congrats Hampton Roads!

I do find it interesting on where they are locating this Ikea. Typically they are placed on the edge of one major metropolitan area in the direction of other population centers. Given that, I would have expected this to be located in Western Newport News/Hampton/Williamsburg in order to pick up both Hampton Roads (1.7 mil) and the Richmond metro (1.3 mil) but instead they located it way east in between Norfolk and VA Beach. That makes me think they are planning ahead for a future location in Western Richmond (Short Pump) which would work for Charlottesville (0.15 mil), Lynchburg (0.25 mil) and potentially Roanoke (0.3 mil) for a combined market of 1.7 to 2 million.

Thanks! Love Short Pump by the way.

I agree, that may eventually happen, but I think for now IKEA will be happy splitting the Richmond market, perhaps with the southern and western halves coming here to Norfolk, and the northern areas going to Woodbridge.

However, I think many Richmonders will consider Norfolk, and this is reflected in a tweet from a Richmond.com writer this morning:

FMmnSLxx_normal.jpgBryan DeVasher (@bryandevasher)

Love @IKEA but hate going to Woodbridge? Soon you'll be able to go to Norfolk instead bit.ly/28N5uuv #rva pic.twitter.com/8boSftQeEC
 
For even our tunnel traffic pales in comparison to to the traffic on
I-95 between Fredericksburg and Woodbridge!  And the relative distances are pretty much a wash, especially for the West End.
Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I think IKEA locating in Hampton Roads is great news for the entire area, and will even benefit many in the Richmond area.

Tad bit stretching there, mate. But congratulations anyway, happy you guys are movin on up. This is one of those destination retailers metro areas dream of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Icetera said:

Congrats Hampton Roads!

I do find it interesting on where they are locating this Ikea. Typically they are placed on the edge of one major metropolitan area in the direction of other population centers. Given that, I would have expected this to be located in Western Newport News/Hampton/Williamsburg in order to pick up both Hampton Roads (1.7 mil) and the Richmond metro (1.3 mil) but instead they located it way east in between Norfolk and VA Beach. That makes me think they are planning ahead for a future location in Western Richmond (Short Pump) which would work for Charlottesville (0.15 mil), Lynchburg (0.25 mil) and potentially Roanoke (0.3 mil) for a combined market of 1.7 to 2 million.

I agree that Richmond will likely find themselves with an IKEA before long (probably out near West End). I do also agree that until then that you will see some Richmond shoppers make their way to Hampton Roads, though I think the majority of Richmonders would rather trek north to Woodbridge.

Great development for Hampton Roads though and I think IKEA will do really well in this area too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Off topic but when looking at the area where IKEA will be built, what is just north west of that parcel? There is a building with tennis and basketball courts and maybe a bridge leading to it but the bridge does not appear as a road on google maps? Is it a peninsula or is it connected to the golf course some way?

Creepy?

Edited by JPN0731
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JPN0731 said:

Off topic but when looking at the area where IKEA will be built, what is just north west of that parcel? There is a building with tennis and basketball courts and maybe a bridge leading to it but the bridge does not appear as a road on google maps? Is it a peninsula or is it connected to the golf course some way?

Creepy?

That is Norfolk Academy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arena got approved, ADP is bringing 1,800 jobs, a feature film is shooting here, Ikea coming to town, plus various tech jobs coming to VB. It's been a good half-year for the 757 (even if the arena was technically last December)!

Honestly, in terms of longshots, I thought we would've had a team before Ikea, so keeping fingers crossed...I think we're the only Ikea market without pro sports. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

It's great getting an IKEA finally. The area seems to be a little questionable but I know they needs lots of room for lots of parking. I'm sure over time the area will change. Way to go Norfolk. ^_^

Why do you think the area seems questionable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BFG said:

Arena got approved, ADP is bringing 1,800 jobs, a feature film is shooting here, Ikea coming to town, plus various tech jobs coming to VB. It's been a good half-year for the 757 (even if the arena was technically last December)!

Honestly, in terms of longshots, I thought we would've had a team before Ikea, so keeping fingers crossed...I think we're the only Ikea market without pro sports. :P

I did a little bit of easy research on where IKEA stores are located in relation to major league sports franchises.

Currently the only markets with an IKEA and no major league team are Sunrise FL (Fort Lauderdale/Boca Raton), New Haven, CT, and Round Rock, TX (Austin).

There are several major league sports markets which do not currently have an IKEA, but where one is either under construction, or a site is being heavily scouted. Jacksonville, FL, Oak Creek, WI (Milwaukee), and Fishers, IN (Indianapolis). Cleveland, OH, was close to having an IKEA built, but the site in Brooklyn, OH. fell through. Las Vegas has an IKEA, and is close to landing an expansion NHL franchise.

There are quite a few markets which do have a major league sports franchise but do not have an IKEA. Nashville, TN., San Antonio, TX., Green Bay, WI (a major league outlier do to market size), Buffalo, NY, Raleigh, NC, New Orleans, LA, and Oklahoma City, OK.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

That parcel was once part of the USAA compound (now Amerigroup/WellPoint) & was developed in the early 1990's as their "Recreation Island" complex. 

Recreation Island is separated from the parcel in question. That's further back on the property and won't be impacted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the soon to be constructed improvements to the roads, intersections, and interstate ramps in the area around Northampton Boulevard I believe that traffic flow will actually improve despite the addition of the Simon Premium Outlets Mall,  and IKEA. 

Aside from the new off ramps from I-64 to Northampton, Military Highway, Princess Anne Rd., and Northampton will be widened by many lanes, and the new Continous Flow Intersection at the intersection of Military Hwy. and Princess Anne / Northampton will be a game changer for easing congestion.

This simulation represents the intersection in 2038 if it is not built.

https://youtu.be/rpjg2VIbFPI

Here is the 2038 simulation of the CFI.

http://youtu.be/glmWepLM9rY

Edited by NFKjeff
Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, 757Duke said:

Recreation Island is separated from the parcel in question. That's further back on the property and won't be impacted.

I wasn't addressing any impact.  Of course it won't be impacted; it's private property, and I don't believe it's particularly developable.

 

I thought the person had asked a question earlier about what that bridge was leading to and what those buildings were on that wooded property on the lake? I've walked the property many times, so I know what it is. That's all I was addressing. 

Edited by baobabs727
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2016 at 9:14 PM, baobabs727 said:

I wasn't addressing any impact.  Of course it won't be impacted; it's private property, and I don't believe it's particularly developable.

 

I thought the person had asked a question earlier about what that bridge was leading to and what those buildings were on that wooded property on the lake? I've walked the property many times, so I know what it is. That's all I was addressing. 

Yes, you're right- all I wanted to know was what "Recreation Island" was. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is from a few weeks ago, but the Pilot asks whether landing an Ikea is a sign that Hampton Roads has "arrived". The region is definitely having a great year, IMO, with the various projects scheduled and companies like ADP coming to town.

http://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/has-hampton-roads-arrived-ikea-may-have-just-confirmed-it/article_7299c186-2b18-5baf-a0dd-d9c6b09a6215.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update on construction. Per a story from WAVY yesterday...

https://www.google.com/amp/wavy.com/2017/02/14/norfolk-development-projects-move-forward/amp/?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us

construction on the IKEA will start in early summer. Bids will go out on the Northampton Blvd. / I64 ramp improvements on March 14.

 

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/traffic/how-bad-will-ikea-traffic-be-major-road-changes-are/article_4f71af15-9096-5346-a458-daaa4921c602.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • vdogg unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.