IKEA to open in Norfolk!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There needs to be a pedestrian bridge over I-64 connecting IKEA and the outlets. Then shuttles wouldn't be needed.

It will most assuredly be congested for the grand opening. Because it’s not like an arena, or amphitheater, with events to and from which everyone will be arriving and leaving at the same time,  and t

ORF shared a before and after aerial of the IKEA site.   

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

IKEA plans to hire 250 people in the coming months. 

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_f98cf2d8-e3a3-11e8-93be-3bbb9c5ec3e8.html

Driving to work this morning, I noticed the triangular sign from the Interstate. I expected it to be a little taller, but I might be going off the sign I see when you head to Potomac Mills. With 95 being wider and busier, I’m sure that sign is much taller for a reason. 

13 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Could be the sign isn't taller because its in the flight path for Norfolk International.  Just my guess.

I haven't seen the sign, so I do not know how high it is.  Measuring on Google maps, the IKEA site  is well over 3000 feet from the runway centerline.  The FAA requires a clear zone using an 8 to 1 slope, so you could go over 300 feet high before the FAA would be concerned. 

However, I found this in the Norfolk Zoning Ordinance, Article 5.7.8.B:

"No outdoor advertising sign adjacent to and facing an interstate highway shall exceed 45 feet in height at its highest point, measured from the grade of the interstate highway at the point of its nearest proximity to the sign." 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I can see by Google maps that traffic really will be an issue with this. I feel like the one entrance/exit is too little and a secondary exit/entrance needs to be built somewhere. I know the exit from I-64 east bound (exit 282) was widened and made to exit west on Northhampton Blvd., but with a line of cars probably waiting to get into IKEA from that same direction already on Northhampton Blvd. will make it impossible for the interstate traffic to get to this. The right lane will be congested and you know that drivers will "block the box" in the intersection and cause chaos. Ideas on a fix?

1 hour ago, zeppelin14 said:

I can see by Google maps that traffic really will be an issue with this. I feel like the one entrance/exit is too little and a secondary exit/entrance needs to be built somewhere. I know the exit from I-64 east bound (exit 282) was widened and made to exit west on Northhampton Blvd., but with a line of cars probably waiting to get into IKEA from that same direction already on Northhampton Blvd. will make it impossible for the interstate traffic to get to this. The right lane will be congested and you know that drivers will "block the box" in the intersection and cause chaos. Ideas on a fix?

It will most assuredly be congested for the grand opening. Because it’s not like an arena, or amphitheater, with events to and from which everyone will be arriving and leaving at the same time,  and the increased traffic infrastructure in the area, I believe it will be fine.

• Like 3
On 2/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, NFKjeff said:

It will most assuredly be congested for the grand opening. Because it’s not like an arena, or amphitheater, with events to and from which everyone will be arriving and leaving at the same time,  and the increased traffic infrastructure in the area, I believe it will be fine.

I was in Cincinnati when thiers opened and they had shuttles to and from remote parking lots for the first several weeks. It was a madhouse but I suppose it eventually quieted down. 

• 1 month later...

I've never been to an IKEA grand opening, but the stores in Elizabeth and Brooklyn can be a MAD HOUSE any given weekend.  I agree with flyer on giving it a few weeks, and even then the best time to go is a Monday or Tuesday before 4pm.  

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Norf native said:

I wonder (if the timing had been right) if Ikea could have taken over the Nordstrom space in the mall downtown.  Can you imagine what that would have done to the mall and downtown as a whole?  <_< 

I doubt this would have happened. Nordstrom is only 180k sf while IKEA is 331k. And if IIRC that’s smaller than average. Furthermore, IKEA & the outlets are essentially  a couple - we either got both or neither. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

So, does anyone have anything to report?

I went opening night. They handled traffic very well and they were certainly busy. Beyond that, once you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. Kinda wish the garage was attached to the store. 

• Like 1

Which side of the building is the cafe on?  If it's in the back, it looks like maybe you get a good view of the airport?  My favorite thing about Ikea Elizabeth, NJ is that you can sit by the windows in the cafe and watch planes take off/land at Newark airport, watch traffic on the Turnpike, and see the cranes moving at the port.  Would be cool if there's a similar experience at Ikea Norfolk with the airport and I-64 right there.